Me, Myself and I | Teen Ink

Me, Myself and I

October 14, 2016
By Anonymous

Grasping my heart, I take my last breathe and accept my ending. I regretted my decision that I’ve just made moments ago. She hands me a cup with a strange liquid which is a light red color. I’m smart, and I smell it before I drink it. It smells pleasant. I devour it. I taste the rich and delicious flavor in my mouth, and automatically reach for more. “Cranberry juice,” she says, “It’s my favorite.” After drinking it, I feel weird and my movements are stiff. I sit there paralyzed. It was so sweet, yet so dangerous. As I sit there, I hear her laugh like the old witch she is. My pendant was cursed. It lead me right to her, and she knew that I was coming. My vision goes dark. I can no longer hear anything, but I can feel what she is doing to me. That’s when I knew that I was joining the rest of her victims. I feel the pain as she cuts me into little pieces. I want to scream in agony, but my mouth won’t open to do so. I’ve failed, and I am dead. I am nothing.
I wake up frightened by my dream. Not even a dream, a nightmare. I had so much questions on what the dream meant, such as who the lady was and what does the dream mean? I rub my eyes, trying to erase the dream and turn to see Axel still asleep. I smile when he awakens and we quickly gather our belongings and walk to the city where we were ordered to risk our lives and free everyone out of The Witch’s control. How are we going to do that? I have no idea.
The gates are the only things that are not purple, but golden. I enter what will become my worst nightmare. The City of Gita is beautiful to the human eye, but deep inside, it is a monster. Everything is a different shade of purple, but some things were white. Houses belonging to the wealthy were pink, and the rest were purple. My feet goes numb, and I hold onto a tree to pull myself up. Axel helps me steady myself. “Are you okay, Rosalina?” Trying not to worry him, I quickly responded, “Yes. I’m fine.” As soon as those words come out of my mouth, I hear shouts and I know that we’ve been spotted. Not knowing who we’re running from, we run for what seemed like forever. Before I even realized what Axel did, it was too late. I hear the gun shot go off, and I hear him scream in pain. He said for me to run, but I didn’t. “Run Rosie! Run before they catch you!” Following his orders, I swallow my tears and run to north of the city. I vowed to myself that I will not leave this city without Axel. I started to plan what I was going to do, and quickly got to it. I have depended on Axel too much, and now he wasn’t around to watch after me. I was on my own, and I had to be ready for what was next. The only thing I had and the only person I could depend on was myself.
My heart was telling me that I’m headed the right direction. I reach a cave. It’s dark, so I use my hands to guide me. The walls of the cave are rough, some parts wet. I see light, and I run towards it. I feel the bats flying through my hair and their wings scratching my face, but I continue to run. I feel the water in the cave splash onto me. Cold, but satisfying. I run until I reach a small cottage and politely knock on the door. An old lady answers it, and she happily welcomes me in. The cottage had a familiar feeling to it, and not a pleasant one either. Ignoring the thought, I follow her to her kitchen and seat myself where she has pulled out a chair. She hands me a cup with a strange liquid and a light red color. I’m immediately terrified because of what I remembered.
I remembered my dream. The old lady is the witch that was in my dream and the same person I was supposed to stay away from. No matter how bad I want to drink the juice, I don’t. I can tell by the look in her eyes that she is furious with me, but I ignore it and just sit there and look towards the wall. She slaps me faster than I can even realize it making my cheeks burn. Still, I refused to drink. After a couple of tries, she gave up. She screams as if she was going to turn into a beast. What happens next is something unplanned, but I’m ready.