Firecracker | Teen Ink

Firecracker

June 8, 2016
By Kitern BRONZE, Pound Ridge, New York
Kitern BRONZE, Pound Ridge, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
It can only go up from here.


I couldn’t help but stare at the impatient teenager in front of me. Shouldn’t someone like her be in school? Or, possibly, be a little more polite? She had been very late for her interview, and had barged into my office, bright orange hair flying and blue eyes burning. That was before she started talking.


“Sorry I was so late! Jerel Quin, is it?! I’m Leruna Mendaxi! You see, there was this f***er that tried to pickpocket me and I needed to teach ‘im a lesson!”


Leruna sounded childish at the time, and her tone was one of someone who had grown up on the streets of Sriha’s capital, Xerxes. I’m not sure what surprised me more, the fact that she had openly cursed in front of me, or the fact that she just told me that she went and beat someone up. As she struggled with a chair and sat down, I found myself staring. She was certainly very odd, and not dressed for a job interview, wearing a bizarre lace-adorned pink shirt with a sleeve on one side, while the other seemed to have been meticulously cut off, a long blue and purple fingerless glove, white shorts, red suspenders, stockings, and what looked like improvised tap shoes. She stared back, heaving, as I examined her before picking up the file I had on her. The silence was heavy, and I had a hard time breaking it.


“Uh, well, Ms. Mendaxi, you didn’t provide me with much information on the file you sent me here, and the fact that you contacted me at least five times to secure an interview, not to mention that you’re quite late. I admit, this isn’t giving me the best impression of you.”


“Jus’ call me Leruna.”


“Hm?”


“Leruna. My name. I don’t want none of that ‘Ms. Mendaxi’ bullshit.”


I paused for a moment and rubbed my temples. Something told me this was going to be a long interview…
“Oh. Yes. Right. Leruna, it says here you completed up to your 7th year of school? Is that correct?”


She was clutching a swathe of her long hair, fingering it, showing that it was obviously extremely knotted. “Yep, that’s right. Got kicked out ‘cuz I never showed up to class the year after. They weren’t teachin’ us anything worthwhile anyways.”


Silence enveloped the room again. This wasn’t going anywhere. Leruna was analyzing my office, practically drinking in the sights presented to her. It certainly wasn’t anything special. I had a few tall, crammed bookcases against the wall, and a single elaborate pendulum clock. My desk had been left here by my predecessor, who had slightly more fancy tastes than my own, but that was barely visible under the piles of paper on top of it. There was also a gas lamp, and a bowl where I kept my pet Lacqui, Kitt. The creature was now perched on the edge of the bowl, wet paws dripping water down the side. Leruna seemingly observed all of this, then turned to me.


“Look, I realize that I ain’t some genius, and I got no manners. You’re probably looking for some asshole fancy-pants lady to do your paperwork, but I promise I can do some good work if you’ll give me a shot. I know how to organize s***, and if it ever comes to it, I know how to fight. It isn’t every goddamn day that you come across some paper licker that can also hold their own, y’know? It’s not like I’d be using the money for drugs or anything like that either. I got a small apartment in the slums, and my rent is comin’ up, but I don’t got any money to pay the landlord, and lemme tell ya, he is a perverted bastard. Been eyeing my ass for months now, and thinks I haven’t noticed jack-s***. But I’m sure as f*** not getting all comfy with that slimy b****. I’d rather jump in the f***ing river than do that.”


Needless to say, I was stunned. Most interviewees just waited patiently for the question, and those were normally enough to determine if they were what I was looking for. In this girl’s case, she just went and told me everything, and to top it off, wasn’t lying. Or was exceptionally good at lying. Nevertheless, this seemed like something to consider. It was true, I did mention in the advertisement that there was the possibility I would have to take them to the battlefield with me if the time did come. With a sigh, I organized Leruna’s file. “Leruna, I believe that concludes your interview. You’ve given me all the information I need.”


She began to protest “Wait, I haven’t even been here for five fuc-”


I interrupted “I’m considering you as a potential candidate, so don’t assume that I’m just kicking you out. You really did tell me everything I needed to know, unless there’s some other tidbits you think are important.”


I could have sworn that her eyes glittered as I told her this. This time, no snappy comeback came. She opened her mouth, but no words came out, so she just stood up, gave me a quick salute, and ran out of the office. Although, there was a rather loud “YES” outside the building moments after she left. I chuckled as I went through her file again. Leruna Mendaxi, huh….


She might be someone of interest.


The author's comments:

This is part of a sort of world project that I have been developing, and takes place before the main storyline of what I'm writing, and serves as a sort of backstory as how two characters met. One thing I will point out is that yes, Leruna does swear a bit more than she should, but that's because she sees no issue with it. Think of it as a sort of characterization. She's really the only character I have that swears with any sort of frequency.