Rebirth: The Darkness Within | Teen Ink

Rebirth: The Darkness Within

By kevinh98 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
kevinh98 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Plot: Two brothers are born. Fortis whom is the perfect child, a natural leader, and a good man; he cares for his brother, Tellec, when other people ignore him. Tellec is Fortis’s brother, a very intelligent being, however, he has a disfigured appearance. In cadet school, Fortis was always a favored student of the teachers and students; Tellec was an outsider, nobody played with him and the teachers never took him seriously, but his grades were phenomenal. Tellec possessed a brilliant mind, a love for the sciences of technology, and mathematics.
Years later, he has been working on improving science and technology privately. When Caesar of the Galaxy visited his home planet, he saw Tellec’s potential and sympathized with his current situation. Caesar promised him that under his command, Tellec can finally reach his goal, to find the acceptance he has been looking for and all the tools necessary to improve his skills with science and mathematics, but only if he works for Caesar.
Caesar:
Hello, young man. What is your name?”
Tellec:
“My name is Tellec, sir. It is a pleasure to meet you, your highness. “
Caesar:
“Oh the pleasure’s all mine, Tellec. I see you have a passion for inventing things. Is there anyone else at home like you?”
Tellec:
“No sir. I am the only one on this planet that has such a passion for the field of science. No one else does, just me, sir.”
Caesar:
“Tell you what, Tellec. I am hiring people of your abilities to serve under my command. How would you like working for me? You can have all the resources and tools necessary to continue your inventions, as well as a special place among our community, you can have a family with us, people who appreciate such fine education like you.”
Tellec:
“That would be very nice sir. I am honored of such invitation, thank you. I request permission to carefully make my decision, sir. I would very much like time to think it over.”
Caesar:
“Of course, young Tellec. I will be making a few speeches in your town for the next few days. I will leave in one week. You can come, or stay. Whatever you choose. “
Tellec:
“I am very thankful for you offer. Truly, I am.”
Caesar promised him that if he joins him, Tellec can finally reach his goal, to find the acceptance he has been looking for and new opportunities to improve his skills with science and mathematics, but only if he works for Caesar. Tellec accepts the offer, however Fortis is upset with his decision.
Fortis:
“You accepted what!?”
Tellec:
“Caesar offered me a place among his Empire. I can finally do what I have always dreamed of, furthering technology and have a family among people who love what I do. Why aren’t you happy for me?”
Fortis:
“Don’t you understand?” 
“Caesar is a very bad man who deals in secret. He punishes everyone who opposes him. He is corrupt and must be impeached. Caesar is pure evil. You go with him, you may never come back the same.
Tellec:
“You’re just jealous that I got offered a chance to be with royalty and the most powerful man in the galaxy. Someone who can give me anything I want. Everything I have ever desired. You just don’t get what I have been through. You had many friends in school, you were every teacher’s favorite, you got scholarships to go to big schools, they all said you had a bright future ahead of you; and what did I get? Nothing. No one liked to invent, to improve our way of life, the teachers didn’t get me, and I had no one. Even with mom and dad, you were always the favorite, you got the best things. Because of my appearance, no one gave me a chance to prove myself, no one “saw” me. Then, Caesar came along and promised me everything I desired and more. If you don’t like it, then get out of the way!”
Fortis:
“Fine, do whatever you want, but once you see I am right, don’t expect me to help you get out of the mess you created”
Tellec:
(Sniffing) “Goodbye, Brother”
Fortis:
“Goodbye, don’t forget, that I always have and will care for you.”
Fortis will be part of a secret organization to impeach Caesar for all the crimes and horror he has covered up over his reign and restore freedom and happiness to the galaxy.

Tellec leaves and arrives at Caesar Tower, and agrees to work with him, do everything he says without hesitation and wants to have a family within his mighty reign; as a way of accepting Tellec, Caesar gives him a similar mask to the one he has but a darker toned mask, symbolizing he is now is an agent of evil. From now on, Tellec is Caesar’s right hand man, plotting and doing Caesar’s dirty work for him as well as helping to spread fear throughout the galaxy.
Back to Fortis, after his discussion with Tellec, he walks at a bar, the bartender and he have a chat...
Bartender:
“What will it be, stranger?”
Fortis:
“Blue Milk, please”
Bartender:
“You got it.”
Fortis looks at a televised broadcast about poverty in a remote planet and Caesar doing all he can to solve it.
Fortis:
“It’s incredible, isn’t it?”
Bartender:
“What is?”
Fortis:
“All the suffering, people are going through. Families losing their homes because the cost of living now days is so expensive.”
Bartender:
“Yes, I know”
Fortis:
“The sad part is, when Caesar makes all those speeches, everybody falls for them, all he cares about is staying in office and gaining supporters. Someone should do something about it, stand up to him. Proving that not everybody is afraid to step up against “The Great and Powerful Caesar””.
Bartender:
“Don’t say I told you, but I heard there is this group of fellows working secretly underground to remove Caesar from his political powers and restoring what democracy used to be.” That’s all I heard so far, just rumors like that”.
Fortis:
“Is there? Well, if those rumors are true, I hope they succeed. If only I could find them, help them in their cause. I lost someone to him, I want to prove the real persona behind that public person”.
Fortis pays the bartender to leave.
Fortis:
“See you around. Have a good one”.
Fortis is hit from behind as he leaves.

A few minutes later, Fortis wakes up in a bed with a lovely lady standing by his side.
Fortis:
“Where am I?”
Lady:
“Home. I heard you talking to the bartender about a group intending to remove Caesar, which you would like to contribute to their cause. Did you mean all of it?”
Fortis:
“Yes. Yes I did.”
Lady:
“Welcome, my name is Felicia. I am the leader of this so called group. People call us a resistance, but, I like to think of ourselves as Liberators.
Fortis:
“Interesting. Thank you for your warm welcome. So, what made you start this whole Liberators thing?”
Felicia:
“It’s a long story, one I don’t wish to share at the moment. However, a few of us are fighting planet by planet protecting people from Caesar’s oppression; we help them, and if they wish to thank us , we tell them that if they want, they can join our little mischief band of rebels. We hope that one day, our group will be big enough that a great general will lead our troops to victory, restoring that sense of freedom and bright sunshine to the galaxy. I sense you have great determination to stop Caesar’s reign, which is why I brought you here to joins us. Welcome to the Liberators, Lt. Fortis. The Reign of Caesar will soon come to an end.”
Fortis:
“Thank you Commander Felicia Let’s be victorious!”

A few years pass, the Liberators hire more people to join their crusade, to spread the word and stop believing Caesar. Others take it too far, they make a big scene and that causes Caesar’s agents including Tellec, to take care of these people, threatening them, resulting in their silence. Caesar sends Tellec to find people of his caliber, people as smart as him to join his mighty empire. The plan is to have people as smart as Tellec lead his big army to victory, every battle will be won if generals lead his troops with the right and perfect strategic plan. A modification to that plan was done by Tellec, he developed this special serum that gives the smart recruits extreme strength and heightened intelligence, so they will be put in front of the battlefield.  Having an army, led by intelligent beings, with super strength and enhanced senses, whomever is in control of that army will be the most invincible force in all the galaxy
Back in the Liberators’ secret headquarters, General Fortis and supreme leader Felicia hear about a top secret super serum being developed by Caesar’ scientists. They both believe that if they were to capture the serum and keep it from falling into the wrong hands, the resistance might actually have a chance in wining against Caesar’s much larger and stronger army. Fortis and Felicia set out a plan to capture the serum while it’s being transported from Caesar’s capital to a military base waiting to be recovered by Tellec. The plan works and the serum is safe and sound in the Liberator’s secret base.
Caesar and Tellec were working on a robot assassin with his intelligence that can be useful in tight situations where Caesar’s public image might be in jeopardy, an alternative to deal with tight situations. When Caesar heard about the attack and report of the stolen serum, he was furious; he sent Tellec to find it immediately, showing no mercy, it doesn’t matter how he recovers it, it only matters that he does. Tellec suggests to test the robot assassin on its first mission, to recover the serum. After months of not finding it Caesar gets more desperate, Tellec sees that Caesar is getting more angry and violent, using extreme measures when it is not necessary. Finally there is a lead on where the serum might be, Tellec investigates. Tellec tortures the suspect in his own home, but when he sees he has a family with two young boys, he leaves the home, asking himself what he has become, he has become a monster just like Caesar. Tellec tells Caesar he needs some time off to think, Caesar yells at him and says that nobody will take any vacation until that serum is found, that if he won’t find it, the robot assassin will. Tellec ignores the orders and goes to a cantina to reflect on his past actions. His mask is hidden away and hides his appearance under a hood, he sees on the television all the evil Caesar has caused, and that he helped spread throughout the galaxy. Tellec says out loud to himself,
Tellec:
“I have to make this right, but how?”
He asks the bartender….
Tellec:
“Do you know where I can find the Liberators?”
The same bartender that talked to Forits all those years ago, responded:
Bartender:
“I don’t know. The last time a man asked that question, I told him the same thing.”
Walking away, not knowing what to do next, Tellec is hit from behind.
Tellec wakes up chained in up in a dark room, the lights turn on, a voice that seems to be from a woman asks him.
Woman:
“Who are you?”
Naturally Tellec asks,
Tellec:
“Where am I?”
Woman:
“Tell me! Who are you?”
Tellec:
“I don’t know who I am anymore”.
Woman:
“Then, what do you know?”
Tellec:
“I know that I was used. As a result, I was used to do bad things. Things I am sorry for, but will one day have to accept the consequences. Things I know I can’t undo.”
The woman pushes a button on the intercom and a man comes into the room.
Tellec:
“My brother tried to warn me that if I chose that path I was determined to go to, it would not be a good one. But I didn’t listen. Yes, I used to work for Caesar, I was his assistant, I did his every bidding, no questions asked. I caused so much pain, I want to make that right; Caesar is a real threat, I see that now.”
Man:
“I see.”
Tellec:
“If my brother were here, I would tell him how sorry I am for not listening to him I would tell him, he was truly the only who cared for me. I don’t even know if he’s alive, but I have hope he still is. I haven’t seen him in 20 years.”
Man:
“Well, I am sure that if he were here, listening to what you just said, he would forgive you, because he’s your brother and brothers really care about each other”
Man:
“I had a brother too, I lost him to Caesar, and he manipulated him. I am hoping he might be out there somewhere”
Tellec:
“What was his name?”
Man:
“Tellec.”
Tellec:
“What is your name?”
As the man steps out of the shadows, he reveals himself to be….
Man:
“Fortis. General Fortis.”
Tellec says with such hope:
Tellec:
“Brother?”
Fortis:
“Who are you?”
Looking surprised Tellec responds….
Tellec:
“It’s me, Tellec, your brother”.
Fortis:
“My brother died a long time ago, I don’t know who you are, but you look like him”

Fortis leaves the room leaving the woman, Felicia, alone with Tellec. Tellec is very saddened with how the reunion with his brother went.

Felicia:
“Are you really his brother?”
Tellec:
I am, he just doesn’t recognize me.
Felicia releases him, she knows when someone is trying to change and wants to do well.
Tellec:
“Thank you”
Felicia comes closer to him, she goes to remove his hood…
Tellec:
“Don’t. Please. It’s better this way.”
But Felicia insists he takes off his hood, but she takes it off for him. 
Tellec:
Why aren’t you scared?”
Felicia:
“I see a good person in there. I see someone whose whole life has been a series of bad experiences, and is looking for just a good happy one”
Felicia touches his face gently, both smiling at each other. Felicia looks down sad.
Tellec:
“What’s wrong?”
Felicia:
“Fortis once told me, he lost a brother, you, to Caesar. I told him I lost something too to him. When he asked what, I told him it was a long story but later I told him that my family was taken by Caesar. Nobody believed me that such a good, powerful, and humble man could commit this act; there was no evidence to prove he did it, but I know, I know he caused my family to disappear. That’s why I created the resistance, to prove him guilty of all the injustice he unleashed, and hopefully see my family again”.
Not everybody is happy to see Tellec, they all know he used to work for Caesar. Nobody else but Felicia believes Tellec is trying to change. But because Felicia is in charge, so she makes everybody see that he really is trying to change. Felicia tells him in private…
Felicia:
“We figured out a plan to take down Caesar. We know that Caesar is so desperate to find the serum, so we will make him admit all his crimes through blackmail, we will use the serum to do that. We will have troops to fight his forces around the tower and two men will go in and he will admit everything, one man to make him talk and the other as a witness.”
Tellec:
“That’s a great plan, who are the men that are going in?”
Felicia:
“We have to perfect guys for the job, you and Fortis. You are going in because you have access to the tower with ease, and Fortis is there to help you get the information we need. We will also have our troops at the bottom of the tower fighting Caesar’s forces. You will also, through coms links, lead our troops because only you know his forces’ weaknesses. You say you are very smart and know good strategic defenses, so you are our guy.”
Fortis and Tellec are still at odds, but Felicia reminds Fortis of her family, she would do anything to be with her family again, Fortis has Tellec back.
Before the battle, Tellec has been working on a prototype for a new version of the robot assassin, but now with heart. That prototype is the first robot with supreme intelligence and the capability to feel emotion and is able to make its own choices. Tellec and Fortis reunite before the battle, Fortis with tears in his eyes hugs Tellec and says to his brother…
Fortis:
“I have missed you, Tellec.”
With tears, Tellec says…
Tellec:
“ I missed you too brother. I am glad to see you again after all these years.”
The brothers are reunited once again, Tellec is still in his hoodie, but now adds the mask Caesar gave him to grant him access to his chambers.
Everybody gets ready for battle, Felicia, the robot, and her troops on the ground, while Fortis and Tellec are inside Caesar’s tower to take him down. Caesar already on his way to escape, is met by Fortis and Tellec. Back at the battle on the ground, Felicia’s forces prevail and beat Caesar’s army and arrest the smart recruits who worked for Caesar. The assassin robot and Tellec’s new prototype robot fight for some time, Tellec’s new robot wins by cutting the assassin robot’s power cords and main power generator, leaving the new prototype as the victor. Tellec and Caesar talk, he tells Caesar that he lied to him and that’s why he joined the Liberators; he takes out the serum and Caesar launches at him to get it. Fortis protects his brother and starts fighting Caesar. Caesar’s guards confront Tellec, but he is able to fight them with ease. Tellec jumps into the fight to help Fortis, but Caesar kicks away Fortis and hurts Tellec in the stomach, destroying the serum in the process. Caesar now is very mad, he and Fortis fight again, Fortis strikes a blow that loose Caesar’s mask revealing that Caesar is deformed just like Tellec but worse, it shows the monster he really is.  With Fortis getting the upper hand, Caesar admits to all the crimes he committed…
Caesar:
“All right. All right. You win, General Fortis.”
Fortis:
“I want you to admit all corruption and dealing you have done, using you political powers for your own schemes. And tell me where you hid Felicia’s family.”
Caesar:
“Fine, I admit to everything. I spread fear through the galaxy, and yes, I made schemes. I admit to everything, you got me.”
Fortis:
“Tell me where Felicia’s parents are.”
Caesar:
“I hid them. I put them in a jail cell underground, the cell is at the basement of this tower.”
Now having a recorded testimony, Fortis arrests Caesar, but Tellec still alive, he delivers the final blow and eliminates him. Fortis asks why he eliminated him…
Fortis:
“Why did you do it? We had a testimony, we could have put him away in jail forever”
Tellec:
“You don’t understand. Caesar would have gotten out eventually, the only way to get rid of people like him is to stop him from spreading to others. Besides, Caesar would have just used another young man with no experience to get him in power again.”

Tellec collapses and loses consciousness because of his wounds.
Back at the Liberator’s headquarters, Tellec wakes up, now recovered. Felicia is sitting next to him, watching over Tellec while he recovered. Felicia gets him off the bed to show him a surprise waiting for him. He and Felicia enter a big room, where everybody in the resistance is there for Tellec’s celebration becoming a new member of the organization and for killing Caesar and bringing an end to his reign. He walks down the aisle to receive his award given by his brother Fortis. He accepts the award and in an act of bravery, takes off his mask to reveal his true self, everybody cheers to see Tellec’s true face. Felicia, Tellec’s prototype robot, Fortis and the rest of the resistance do a big around of applause for a new and good Tellec, He tells the audience attending he’s happy to be himself, that the Liberators are now his new family, he finally found his happiness.

The End.

I was inspired by the story of Star Wars written and directed by George Lucas. His story captivated my imagiantion as well as influencing the way I write my stories. George Lucas was inspired by the writings of Joseph Campbell and his mythological stories, as well as the Television serials from the 1940's like Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers. Because George Lucas was a big influence in my life, I wanted to write this story as a way to inspire others to write their own stories. My story is not perfect, and I don't expect it to be. It is just a way to let loose my imagination and see what I can come up with. I felt the history of the characters and the world around them was too strong to ignore, that what started as an idea eventually evolved into my first published story. Special thanks to George Lucas, creator of Star Wars, a franchise so massive, it inspired me as well as many other creators to write their own stories.