My Vivid Dream | Teen Ink

My Vivid Dream

May 6, 2016
By Dhallpuck23 BRONZE, Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Dhallpuck23 BRONZE, Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Do you ever wake up from a dream and you have to think for a moment about what you just experienced? I believe that it happens to people once or twice...not two, or three times a week. Now often times you have a dream and then you wake up, remember it for a bit but then you forget it. But it’s different with the dreams I have, that small part where you forget about what occurred, it never happens.It actually the opposite, it gets more vivid.

All my dreams start the same way. I wake up lying flat on my back staring at a florescent green bright light, strapped to a chair you would see in a dentist's office and can not move an inch. I hear a what I think to be a fan, circulating the room. The sound is as loud as a jumbo jet taking off as it increases speed.  The sounds increase until I can not take it any longer and it stops. Just like that, a complete nothingness, the light turns off and it is just black. The complete silence is pierced by a sliding sound of what I assume to be a door opening. I hear footsteps slam into the floor moving towards me from behind my head and then... I wake up.

“It is happening again!” I mentally scream. Okay... wait... something is different. I can move. I am not restrained at all. As the jet engine noise starts up I stand up off the chair. To my surprise, the noise completely disappears. Using the light from above the chair. I walk along the metallic floor with an echoing sound, to the nearest wall trying to make some things out. As I touch the surface the smooth ice like feature sends a shiver down my spine. It is freezing, it is like a walk in freezer door. I am wearing a completely different outfit than I went to sleep in. I have on a pair of worn out jeans and tennis shoes that looked like they had been dragged through the mud and kicked through a paper shredder. I keep moving along the wall until I see a obscure red button next to an off color panel. I think to myself, the same cliche thought that has always happened to a person, do I press the red button? Then I think again, this is just a dream. Right?

I slam my hand on the button and with a sound you would hear of a lightsaber spinning through the air, a light appears with the off color panel revealing a long hallway with similar doors continuing out for a football field length. As I slowly walk I can see a similar scene in each room. A person some younger some older, just sitting on this chair with a light above them the doors all seem to be one way mirrors almost. I keep walking until there is a different window that I see, but it's actually a window. To my horror I see, something I never thought I would see. Earth, not like dirt earth, like the whole f***ing Earth just staring back at me. I'm in outer space.

The feeling of seeing the Earth from space hits me like a truck. I feel my legs turn into extreme jello. My breathing is getting heavier with the fear, I slide down the wall and sit down trying to control my heart rate. I gain control myself and try to analyze the situation for a second time. I stand up and move continue walking down the hallway. Each step I take seems to be amplified by the emptiness and lack of other sound. It is like someone hitting a metal pan with a wooden spoon. At about the midpoint between the end I came out on, to the end of the corridor I notice a short extension to the path and leading to a glass room. I walk towards it hoping to get a view of where I am truly at and as I enter the room, I am able to step back and examine the surreal image of the unidentifiable location I am on. To put this into perspective, picture a city block, but formed into a cylinder like a pop can, this is the space station I am. I can make out distinct feature that could be other hall ways but am not positive. Out of the corner of my eye I catch a flash of light like someone just snapped a picture of me. “Probably just a reflection” I say out loud with a hoarse voice. I am extremely dehydrated and any physical effects are setting in. I am cold from the metal surfaces radiating a chilling air, I have a cotton feeling in my mouth, and as I am evaluating everything I wonder, why do i still weigh the same?

I’m in outer space, so why do I not float around? It takes me a moment to recall a physics lesson on how when rotation there is a pull created, causing a gravity like feel. I examine the ship again and can't see anything to indicate my theory as true. As I look to space expecting to see Earth in my dashboard of a room, I see nothing I look around for a second and it slowly starts to roll into view. So obviously I'm spinning, Good to know. I leave the room and go to look for anything at all, I'm still getting used to the place. I reach the end of the walkway, after passing all the rooms filled with “things” and come to another door. This is not the complex door I entered through, it is a simple, or relatively simple, door. I turn the cold metal revolving handle, like one you would see on a submarine. I hear a pressure release like a air compressor letting out the stored gas. I step through and am glad to see a well lit room with a warm, relaxing temperature.

There are some bright green plants of some kind that look like they could be from a small town farm in the United States but there are some that look like they would be on the bottom of the ocean or another planet even. I walk around the room and find a somewhat comfortable place to sit that is under the source of warmth. I lay back and let the light glow of the heater drift over my body as i try to regain some of my strength, the floor is still cold as ice but because I am being warmed up I ignore my instinct to move. I seem to become a little tired and slowly slip into a slumber.

I jolt awake to the buzzing of the fan that is circulating air in the room. I stand up and choose to further my examination of the ship I ended up on. On the far side to which I had entered there is a second door with similar features to the last one that brought me here, as I spin the lever and hear the lock slide out of place it pop open. It reveals a small circular room about the size of a car. The room isn't warm or cold but a temperature that has reached equilibrium, it has a single bench in the middle with some lockers on the sides I open one up to find a jacket and some equipment. Because I want to stay warm, I grab it and throw it on. Nothing else looks like it would help so i close it and go to the door, which is oddly circular almost dome shaped.

I open it shocked to see an enormous vast open area, it is the size of a frack field and is shaped like a car tire. I see a ladder leading to the bottom, I can see a door on the far side that has a green light on the top of it. It is my only option to press on so I turn around to grab the ladder and as I stick my feet into the room they begin to drift up. I pull myself back into the room and ponder what just happened. I run back and grab some things from the locker and stick them in my pocket. I walk to the door and grab the rock out of the jacket and throw it like a baseball, it soars straight across the room and hits the wall about 10 feet to the right of the door opposite me. Not thinking clearly I think *just f*** it*. I run the far side of the small room and launch myself forward sprinting to the open door. I hit the edge and propel myself from the edge of the doorframe like a swan dive, it is the most surreal experience I have felt.

To this point it is the only thing on this hell hole of a ship that has felt like a dream, I am floating through a room and just feel like a feather drifting in the wind. I am tumbling around and not really noticing it, as soon as I realize I am it is too late. I catch a glimpse of the door that i was intending to reach and realize how close it is. I can not slow down and when I think it through I recognize the fact, “ I screwed up “ I brace for the hit and land with a thud against the durable steel wall. I feel like a pancake that was flipped to early and went splat as it hit the pan.