Heartless Survival | Teen Ink

Heartless Survival

April 14, 2016
By Anonymous

She looked at Ellia thinking that she is telling the truth. ‘Let’s see if Blake believes you.’ She thought. Blake came in to check on Ellia.

“What do we have here. What happened to our leader? Tell me or you will be killed on the spot!” Blake said growling at Ellia.

“Like I told her. He saved me from drowning. When we went to find shelter, he stepped in a bear trap. I healed him/ clean his wounds. I also went hunting for food for him. I made sure he was eating, but when I didn’t eat. He stopped eating and asked me to eat as well. He saved my life and I did the same back. I owed him my life. Like I would hurt another alpha. I respect him.”

“I believe she’s telling the truth, but we will find out when Zane wakes up. He should be waking up soon. Let’s go. We need to go hunting before he wakes.”

She nodded her head leaving Ellia in the cage. After they left she was thinking what did she deserve to be in this cage. She is not a wild animal. She just saved their leader from dying. She hopes that he would wake soon and save her from this mess. Every time she gets near him she always got a feeling in her gut that she was near her mate. Can it be possible that her and Zane could be together. Naw because they both are probably with someone. It’s hard to find someone that would help control these people.

Zane woke up from his deep sleep. Once he woke up he could of sworn that Ellia was right next to him. He got up and started looking for her. When he saw Penny and Blake.

“Where is Ellia?”

“Are you talking about Hartlace pack leader. She is in the dungeon. We had to put her in there because we thought she hurt you. She’s not hurt just locked up. “

“She told us what happened to you. We just want to make sure she didn’t make anything up that would get her killed.”

“She would never hurt anyone. She saved my life. You should be thankful that she did that. Don’t you ever think on laying a hand on her. Do you got that?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Let her go and bring her to me. Now!” Zane ordered.

They left to go get Ellia. They still kept the chains on her. They didn’t want her to run off.

“Get those chains off of her. Now or else!”

They were shocked that he would let her stay with them. Zane started having these feelings in his stomach, but he put them aside. He would have to see how she can control a pack this size. She is just like him an alpha. Leader of a pack, but how does she last this long without any help. She’s strong, smart, beautiful, and very firey.

“Can you two leave? There are things that need to be done. Now go.” He said to them.

Ellia just stood there looking at them. When he looked over at her. He noticed that she had a scar on her neck.

They walked out to the woods and started looking around. He wanted to ask if she wanted to race him.

“Ellia, do you want to race?” He asked.

“Why not.” She said taking off.

“Hey, not fair.”

“Race you to the river.”

They went into their wolf forms. They raced to the river and when they stopped they looked at each other. She noticed that he was a black wolf and she was a white wolf. Ellia kinda didn’t recognize Zane, so she growled. Zane walked up to her and laid next to the river bank. Ellia just looked at him and decided to go lay next to him. She didn’t want to fight. All they wanted to do was relax beside the river bank. Her head was his paws.

‘The river must have put her to sleep. I wouldn’t blame her. It was a beautiful sound.’ He thought.
He laid his head on hers and he fell asleep as well. At least the day is nice with the snow and the sound of the river flowing underneath the ice.

They both fell asleep, but not for long. They both heard a blood curdling scream. Ellia shot up and starting looking  for who it was. She saw a little white wolf in  the icy river. She went across the icy river to get the poor thing. Ellia was able to get the poor thing out of the river. She picked the pup up and carried it to where Zane was. He was still laying down. She put the pup next, to him, while she goes looking for the pup’s mother. She took off looking for the mother of the pup. She searched for a couple of hours, there was nothing.

When she was heading back towards the river. There was a dead wolf. It was a female wolf with her pups. The mother looked like she was shot multiple times. The poor pups have no mother. They looked like they don’t have any food to eat. She decided to take the pups as her own. There were five pups including the one by Zane. She took them with her so that they have a place to sleep and food to eat. They were so excited that they had someone to watch over them. She had no idea that the father of the pups were somewhere in the forest looking for them. She hopes that he doesn’t get mad. Then again he wasn’t there for his mate. She’s gone and left the pups to defend for themselves. It’s hard to find food as a pup. Ellia new this from experience because when she was little her father left her and her mother.

Her mother died trying to protect her from a bear. Her mother was the alpha at that time. She lost all hope in her own survival, but she manage to make it through. She did have siblings, but they were killed. She had a hard time trying to understand what her responsibility is. Ellia was deep in thought when one of the pups nibbled on her tail. She just laughed at the playful pup. They went back to the river. Zane was lying by the river still. He had his head down and she noticed that something on his head. She managed to get all the pups over the river. As she got closer she noticed that he had a pup on his head. she thought it was so cute. She went and laid next to him. The pups went and laid in between them.

They slept for a while. After a few hours Ellia got up and stretched out. She decided to go hunt for everyone. She searched Hopefully they don’t leave. She found something laying on the ground. It was a dead deer. She decided to take it and take it back with her. When she got back Zane was awake. He look like he was going to kill her.

“What?” She said as she walked up.

“You had to leave me with them.” He said pointing to the pups.

“Yeah, sorry. I got food to eat.”

He smiled at her and the dead deer. He skinned the deer with a knife that he always carried. He put the meat in a container. He put salt on it to make sure it doesn’t go bad. When they went back to where Zane’s pack was.

“Zane, I need to go back to my pack. We will meet again soon.”

“When will I see you again?”

“On the full moon at the river. When the river is running faster than it is in the winter. I suck at riddles.”

He just laughed as what she said. He gave her a hug.

“I understand what you meant.”

“We will see each other when we hunt.”

“Hopefully we don’t fight each other.”

“Hopefully. I will see you soon. You can visit if you want. Let them know that I know you and that I asked for you.”

He leaned in and kissed her cheek. She blushed a bright shade of red.

“W-What was that for?” She questioned.

He just smiled at her. He didn’t answer her question. She shook her head at him. They just met a couple of days ago. She just thought that they were nothing but friends. They went for a walk toward the village.

“What are you going to with the pups?”

“I am going to see if any of the other wolfs want them. I just don’t know if they want them after all this time. I have to go back home. It will take about two days to get back maybe.”

She left after saying that. She shifted and started running to her home, the pups following close behind her.