The Talent Show | Teen Ink

The Talent Show

By Kamie GOLD, White House, Texas
Kamie GOLD, White House, Texas
18 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"- Eleanor Roosevelt
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"-Eleanor Roosevelt
"Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn't be done"- Amelia Earhart

Once upon a time, there was a beautiful young woman who had perfectly long blond hair, skin almost as white as snow, and perfectly pink lips, as pink as light pink bubble gum. The woman’s name was Stella Topwells. Stella lived in a cottage, about the size of a small one story house, with her two sisters, Alice and Trixie Topwells, and their father, Max Topwells. Alice and Trixie are twins with black hair to their shoulders, nice tan skin, and lips a little pink. Their father is a kind old man who takes care of his three loving daughters while owning the local bookshop in town. One day, the three sisters were in town when a royal announcer came into the town square saying,“By order of King Nathan Winston and Queen Ruby Winston, there will be a talent show and the winner will be the bride for the oldest prince. The judges will be the royal family. Dancing and singing only! All available young women must attend!” When the royal announcer left, he left some posters saying the talent show was in one week! When all the ladies saw that they only had a week to prepare for the show, they all rushed home.
Well, everyone except Stella. Stella stayed in town, went shopping in the marketplace then headed home. When Stella got home, her father came up to her saying,”Stella, my daughter, why did you stay in the town marketplace when the talent show is just a week away?” Stella replied,” Oh, father, I do not care about some talent show. I care that we get everything we need for the week.” As soon as Stella was done speaking, Alice and Trixie grabbed Stella and brought her into their room. Alice squealed,” How can you not care about the talent show and having a chance to be a future bride of the prince?!” Stella replied,” I think about the family in the present, not a possible life in the future.” Trixie laughed while saying,” Father said we can all perform in the talent show so that means you too, Stella. So what is your talent, anyway? Dancing or singing? I am dancing and so is Alice, and besides the poster said that all available young women must attend.”
Alice sarcastically said,” I think the only talent Stella has is looking naturally beautiful and listening to directions!” Stella replied,” Hahaha, laugh all you want, but I do have a real talent that will make you be quiet.” Then Alice and Trixie stared at Stella, then their father came in and said that dinner was ready. After dinner, Alice and Trixie returned to their room to practice, leaving Stella to do all the chores. As soon as Stella was finished, she went to her room, got an apology from her sisters, then the three of them went to bed but her sister's woke Alice up by screaming. When Stella saw that they were screaming at a spider, she grabbed a jar and a piece of paper, then went over and picked up the spider and led it gently to the window. As  Stella was letting the spider outside, Trixie and Alice fainted on their beds!
A week went by, and Stella still did not care about the talent show. When it was finally here, a carriage arrived in the town square. All of the young ladies in the town lined up to get into the carriage, even Stella. Stella was at the end of the line but was not happy because she wanted to be at home, cooking or helping out her father in the bookshop. So she tried to sneak out of the line, but one of the royal guards would not let her. A young man passing by saw her trying to sneak off. So he helped Stella “escape” the line.
He introduced himself as Brad, then asked Stella for her name. She answered,” My name is Stella, and I am forced to participate in the talent show for the royal family! I want to go home and help take care of my father’s bookshop! Pardon me, I do not wish to trouble you with my problems. I apologize.” Brad replied,”No need to apologize, this is the most fun I have had in years!” Then Brad asked,”Why do you not want to be part of the talent show?” Stella answered,”I do not like the spotlight, I prefer to sit in the very back. I will go if you come with me.” Brad said,” Okay, I will go and I will be sitting in the front row.” Then Stella snuck back in line right before the carriage left and got in. With all the ladies in, the carriage headed for the palace. When the carriage stopped, the ladies were escorted to the back of the stage where they had 30 minutes to get ready.
Alice and Trixie were allowed to perform together. When it was Stella’s turn, she looked into the crowd and saw Brad in the front row next to King Nathan! Brad was part of the royal family and one of the judges! Stella re-focused herself on the talent show and went on stage and sang her mother’s favorite song, "Once Upon A December". When the talent show was over, the royal family immediately decided on the winner. King Nathan announced that the winner is Stella. Stella came on stage next to King Nathan. As soon as Stella came on stage, Queen Ruby and her three sons followed. Queen Ruby introduced her sons, oldest to youngest, as Luke, Brad, and Tim. Stella was escorted back to her cottage.
When she got home, she explained everything to her father, and then her father congratulated her. Stella packed up all her stuff, got back into the carriage, and headed for the palace. So when the carriage arrived at the palace, the entire royal family and staff were waiting outside to greet her. The royal family and Stella headed for the throne room. King Nathan, Queen Ruby, Tim, and Brad then left Luke and Stella alone in the throne room. After Luke and Stella were the only ones in the throne room, Luke asked Stella,” Would you like to be my wife?” Stella answered,” I am very sorry, Your Highness, but I have feelings for another.” Luke asked,” Who is this other person? I might know him.” Stella said,” I am very sorry but...it...is...Brad. He is the one who persuaded me to attend the talent show. I did not even know who he was when I first met him. I do not wish…” Luke stopped Stella then said.” I apologize for stopping you but you are the first person I have ever met who is not afraid to speak so freely to me.You make me remember that I can Love whoever I choose, but I want to choose you, even though you choose my brother.”
As soon as Luke was done speaking, the rest of the royal family came in. Luke explained everything to his parents while Stella waited out in the hallway. King Nathan called Stella into the throne room and asked,” Stella, my dear, who do you want to marry? Please be honest.” Stella answered,” I have feelings for Brad but I do not wish it cause any trouble!” The king asked Stella to wait out in the hallway while the royal family talked. King Nathan and Queen Ruby decided that Stella should marry whoever she chooses. So the royal family called Stella back into the throne room and asked her to choose between Luke and Brad. Stella chose Brad and three months later Stella and Brad were married. Stella’s family moved into the palace. Alice found love with the son of the royal chef, Trixie found her true love with the son the royal bookkeeper, and Luke found his true love with the daughter of the local baker.
The End