The Vaccine | Teen Ink

The Vaccine

February 11, 2016
By punkstyl3s SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
punkstyl3s SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments


What would you do if you had the chance to stop all loneliness? What would you do if you could cure the entire world with one vaccine, one simple thing to save the lives of billions? Would you take it?


Throughout history I’ve heard about this “love” thing. It doesn’t sound amazing, destroying families and relationships. It’s actually kind of a selfish, if it does all these horrible things.


It’s unanimous, who needs love? They teach us that love used to be the most overused word in the English language. We can’t afford to fall in love. There’s no reason to repopulate. With thirteen billion people living on the earth, there’s really no need.


We’re all given the vaccine at birth, a microchip in the underside of our wrists. Every ten years, it reactivates, just in case we develop feelings that are sickly to ourselves and everyone around us. As we meet more people, the more at risk we are. It’s a nasty illness that none of us want to catch.


I was doing fine, going to school every day, learning so I could pick a normal job and live a regular life. I was perfectly fine staying a simple shade of gray. I wish it could’ve stayed that way.


The one problem with the vaccine is that it isn’t exactly perfect. It has one tiny flaw, and that is that in every one in a billion, it doesn’t work. The microchip malfunctions and the victim is left with the awful emotions virus.


You’re supposed to inform your doctor as soon as possible and get it examined and replaced, but I didn’t.


It made me realize that everyone is coldhearted and doesn’t know a thing about what they’re doing. We’re destroying the world second by second, and no one’s doing a thing about it. It rushed through my veins and rattled my frigid bones. How can they not see it? How can they not feel it?


It all started with a simple brush of the hands, and I saw colors rushing through my eyelids and blowing up my irises. Shivers ran up my spine and made my lungs burn, my heart yearned for something that wasn’t mine. My entire body tingled and it felt like paradise. I looked over to the person who did this to me and he stared right back at me, tilting his head like he’s confused.


He doesn’t even know the half of it.


I caught the love bug, the love disease, and I don’t want it. 
 


The author's comments:

This is a possibility that I feel like could happen in the future. I was inspired by science to write this.