Wizardly Miguel | Teen Ink

Wizardly Miguel

By Pablito BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
Pablito BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

You know that kid that loves the game so much, but they are SO bad at it?
Yep, that's me with basketball. People call me Hangtime. I know that sounds marvelous, but they call me that because someone aired a video of me trying to dunk, but i ended up getting stuck in the net, so I was just ‘hanging’ there like a little loser! Yea, I know, pretty laaame. I was on my way to school when I saw Bob Marley, my best friend, coming towards me. “Hey, did you break your leg trying to dunk?” he said amusingly while doing our handshake. “Haha” I said with a dull look on my face. Bob Marley is actually not bad at basketball. At least he can dribble. “I heard basketball tryouts are in a couple days.” exclaimed Bob Marley. “Whoop de do,” I responded. “Don’t be so down, in fact, to cheer you up, I got us tickets to the Mavericks and Cavaliers game!” “What?!” I yelled. “No way!” “Yes way!” he responded. “The game is tomorrow, i'll pick you up after school. “Yea, i’ll be there.” I stuttered. The next day, Bob Marley drove up in his plant mobile after school. “Come on, we are going to be late.” He mumbled. I hopped in and we were off . We blasted on music the whole way. Once we got there, we sat in our seats along with the popcorn we bought. I watched Lebron James dominate the court until halftime hit. “Ladies and gentlemen, tonight we will have one lucky contestant have a shot at one million dollars! All they have to do is make a halfcourt shot!”, the dude in the red suit yelled. The crowd went loud. “Our lucky contestant is in group 5, row 7…” I just realized i belonged in those two. Me and Bob Marley looked at each other excitedly. “...seat 4!” No way! That was my seat! “Go get em tiger!” Bob Marley exclaimed. I rushed down to the court. The guy in the red suit handed me a ball. I can do this. I shot it with all my might…., and the crowd went silent. I think it hit a mascot. “Ohhhhhhhh, better luck next time dude.” said the dude in disappointment. I was heading back to my seat embarrassed, when I saw THE Lebron James. “Hey, Iknow you missed that shot, but what matters is that you tried your hardest.” I was speechless. “Don’t give up and you will be great.” Our hands touched the basketball and I felt electricity running through my hands. “That was weird,” I thought. We said our goodbyes and I headed back to my seat. The next day, I woke up to the sound of my radio. “After an astonishing first half, Lebron James went 0-8 from the field and had no points in the second, the Cavs take a tough loss.” The radio dude stated. I went outside and decided to shoot a couple shots. I shot one, and I made it. I made it? I shot another one, and again, I made it. NO WAY. I made ten shots in a row. Ten! Basketball tryouts were today, and I was feeling gooooood. Later that day, tryouts rolled in. “I'm ready coach.” I said eagerly. “Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Sanchez, you do realize this is basketball right?” said coach. “Hand me a ball, and move out of the way.” I snickered. I got the ball, dribbled like a pro, crossed over Kylo Ren, drove to the basket, and suddenly, my feet rose in the air so high I thought I could fly. I dunked the ball. I dunked the dang ball! Everyone’s mouths were latched open and they couldn't believe what they just saw. The next day, fame was my girlfriend. I was popular. Bob Marley came up to me. “Dude that was amazing, how'd you do it?” I walked past him, ignoring him. Then, I saw Margarita, the most beautiful girl in the world. We had a conversation, and a little more. Two weeks later, I was dating the hottest girl in school, had one million friends, and was the star player on the basketball team. No one could stop me. One day, I was heading home from school when I saw Lebron with a man in a black suit. “What the?” I thought. “Hey kid, give Lebron his powers back!” said the dude in the black suit. “Powers?” I questioned. “Yea you heard me, come on, give him his powers.” He started chasing me around.”Woah, easy bud. Hey
Diego José Francisco de Paula Juan Nepomuceno María de los Remedios Cipriano de la Santísima Trinidad Ruiz y Sanchez, I'd like you to meet my agent, Negrumps. We believe that you took my basketball skills. We've seen you at your games C and we know you weren't that good before.” explained Lebron. “Look my teams on the verge of missing the playoffs and that can't happen.” “Y'all are crazy, I'm going home.” I said as I walked away. The next day, I was hanging out with the Avengers when Bob Marley came up to me. “Hey man.” he said in a quiet tone. I ignored him. He pulled me by my shoulder away from the group. “Look man, i've been getting tired of your nonsense lately.  Ever since you made the team you’ve been ignoring me like we don’t even know each other.” He looked straight at my eyes. “Yea whatever man.” I responded. “See what I mean? Look man, you’re acting like a complete coward. Ever think about the people that actually like you, for being you? You’re not the Diego that I know.” He walked away. All of a sudden, Margarita appeared. “What’s up with you? You’ve been ignoring all my text and at school. You’re acting like you’re better than everyone else.” she said with disgust. “Well if it wasn’t for all this fame, we wouldn’t even be together!!!” I yelled. She got quiet and a tear rolled down her eye. “Ever think I noticed you before basketball? I fell in love with YOU, not your fame.” She looked at me in disappointment and walked away. I felt like a coward. What have I done? The next day, I called up Negrumps. They came to my house, and we were going to fix it. “Alright, let's do it.” We tried everything to give Lebron his powers back. We tried touching the ball together, magic spells, or even just deep concentration. “Man nothing's working! Lebron still sucks! No offense.” Negrumps exclaimed. “I have an idea. Instead of me telling Diego to never give up, he tells me, while holding the ball.” Lebron explained. So then, we both held the ball. “Don’t give up and you will be great.” I felt an electric current run through me. “I think it worked!” I said excitedly, but disappointed at the same time. The next day, I came up to Bob Marley. “Look dude, I’ve acted like a complete jerk.” I admitted. He nodded. “And i’m sorry Bob. You’re my best friend. You’ve always been there for me. I’m sorry.” “It’s cool dude. Don’t worry about it.” he said with a smile. A few hours later, I saw Margarita, walking down the hallway. I grabbed her by the shoulder. “I am a complete jerk, I know. I didn’t realize it wasn’t all about the fame. I’m sorry,  should have known better. I said quietly. She hugged me out of nowhere and I could not have felt better. 
A month later, Lebron was in my driveway, waiting for me after school. “Were back in the playoffs baby!” Lebron sprung out. “Congrats. Hey, hand me a ball. I know I suck again and all, but i’ve been practicing.” I said with a smirk on my face. Lebron laughed and tossed me a ball. I took a dribble, faded away and…. airball. Lebron gave me a thumbs up.