Die Bremer Stadt Musikanten | Teen Ink

Die Bremer Stadt Musikanten

By setschendel BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
setschendel BRONZE, Riyadh, Other

Once upon a time there was a very old donkey who worked for a farmer. Carrying sacks of grain from the farm all the way to the farm mill. But the donkey was getting old and the owner saw no more use for him and stored him in the shed. So one day the donkey set out for an adventure...

The adventure of becoming a musician.

On his way he ran into a dog  "Why are you panting so hard?” asked the donkey. "Oh," said the dog, "Because I am old and am getting weaker every day and I can no longer go hunting, my master wanted to kill me, so I ran off”. “You know what," said the donkey, "I am going to Bremen to become a musician do you wish to come with?”. The dog was satisfied with that, so they continued further. It didn't take long, before they came to a cat sitting by the side of the road. "What happened to you?" said the donkey. "Oh," answered the cat, " I am getting on in years, and my teeth are getting dull, so I can’t chase around after mice. Therefore my mistress wanted to dispose of me but i ran away!" "Come with us to Bremen. You can become a town musician there." said the donkey. The cat agreed and went along. After a long time walking the three animals came past a rooster. "What are you up to?" said the donkey. “My beloved family wants to eat me for a big dinner!” said the rooster. “Hey Mr Rooster why don’t you come with us, to Bremen, to become a musician". said the donkey. The rooster was happy with the proposal, and all four went off together. Of course they could not make it all the way to Bremen in one night so they stopped to sleep. But the donkey and the dog were hungry.

So the dog announced: “We have to go to a lodge and ask for some food, i could do with a few bones with a little meat on them.". They set forth toward the place where the light was, and they soon saw it glistening more brightly, and it became larger and larger, until they came to the front of a brightly lit robbers' house. The donkey, who was the largest approached the house and looked through the window. "What do you see, Gray-Horse?" asked the rooster. "What do I see?" answered the donkey. "A table full of good things to eat and drink, as well as some robbers enjoying their meal!”.

"That would be something for us," said the rooster.

Then the animals discussed how they might drive the robbers away, and at last they came upon a plan. The donkey was to stand with his front feet on the window, the dog to jump on the donkey's back, the cat to climb onto the dog, and finally the rooster would fly up and sit on the cat's head. When they had done that, at a signal they began to make their music all together. The donkey brayed, the dog barked, the cat meowed and the rooster crowed. Then they crashed through the window into the room, shattering the panes. When the robbers saw that weird 7 foot walking/singing monster they took off for the woods, never to return. When the robbers were out of sight the animals ate in peace, as if they would not eat for another month. When the four minstrels were finished, they put out the light and looked for a place to sleep, each according to his nature and his desire. The donkey lay down on the manure pile, the dog behind the door, the cat on the hearth next to the warm ashes, and the rooster sat on the beam of the roof. Because they were tired from their long journey, they soon fell asleep. From that time forth, the robbers did not dare go back into the house. However, the four Bremen Musicians liked it so well there, that they never left it again.

it is a story that was told to me when i was a child.