Immortality | Teen Ink

Immortality

By Luig98 BRONZE, Patterson, California
Luig98 BRONZE, Patterson, California

“Blood is really warm, it’s like drinking hot chocolate, but with more screaming.”
The bow was strung and the blade was sheathed, they were ready for the hunt, tonight was a big event. The people of Madlock had a reason to celebrate and to be fearful, the prophecies and bad omens had been completed. The gods were going to war and there was a chance that the end of the world could happen. A twisted and original version of the Norse Ragnarok and the Greek Titans vs Olympians, the god’s war against the titanic forces of cause and destruction was happening tonight. The home of the gods, the moon, would be the center of the battle. The only thing that humanity could do was watch in amazement as the white and sometimes gold celestial body was covered in the blood of the fallen warriors.
The battle could extend itself to the earth realm and if that happened there was nothing that humanity could do from stopping it not even Edward who was Madlock’s most revered and skilled warrior, he was chosen by Reginald the god of war and strategy to lead the village in its time of battle and conflict. But there was a way to protect themselves, a ritual, that if performed perfectly it could spare the village and protect it at least until the next blood moon. It involved the spilling of the blood of the haunted animals, a dance that invokes the spirits of the earth to create a wall surrounding the Earth realm to protect them from the battle.
The ritual required five rabbit, three deer, and lone predator it didn’t matter which one for the gods only cared if it killed. It was up to the Tristanson brothers to get the predator for they were the oldest ones outside of the adults. The pride in their parent’s eyes was evident as they said their goodbyes their boys were going to be part of the ritual that is going to save the village and the Earth from damnation. “Let’s go Nicklaus its not like you’re never going to see them again” the comment made by Michael instilled confidence in Nicklaus. Pride, joy, and confidence were in the air as the brothers went on their journey, the unbreakable bond of family kept them safe and strong.
     “You ready for this little brother?”
     “Of course I am I have been waiting for an opportunity like this my whole life.”
     “Is that so Nicklaus why so enthusiastic if I’m going to be the one who brings home the kill”
     “No way I bet I‘ll kill a lion before you can get your hands on a rabbit.”
      “Is that a challenge?”
      “You bet it is”
The banter and talks continued until they reached the forest, there they immediately saw the signs of a pair of Timberwolves in the ground the tracked were fresh. They strung and loaded their bows, the thrill of the hunt began. They followed the tracks to a mountainous rocky area filled with steep cliffs, long falls, and certain death if they weren’t careful. There was a problem though, the light of the sun was fading and the moon was coming up, they were running out of time.
     “Damn it”
     “What is it?”
     “The trace went cold and we are running out of time.”
Nicklaus wounders over close to a ridged edge and he spots wolf scat. The bother continue following the new trail. “Stop” murmurs Michael “we are being followed” before they realized it what appeared to be five hungry overgrown and what looked to be demonic wolves appeared and attacking the brothers causing them to tumble down the cliff. Rocks giving way to other rocks caused the brothers to keep falling downward to what appeared to be an eternity. In all the commotion Michael drew his dagger to try to hook onto a rock to break the fall. The fall kept speeding up and to make matters worse Michael’s plan backfired and all that he noticed a sharp pain deep in his ribs as he kept tumbling down. Finally, the bottom but before they could reach it a boulder the size of a small car hit the floor breaking it thankfully revealing a pool of water.
When they reached the water it felt like such a relieve in their blood covered skin, their flesh had been turned into ribbons and blood flowed out like a fountain, Michaels dagger stuck in his side, Nicklaus had sliced open us jugular vein the light faded from his eyes quickly. It was dark the moon was turning red, the battle had begun, suddenly and inexplicably the pool began to glow a sky blue color slowly healing their wounds. Both brothers too injured to speech lay in the shallow pool basking the minerals. It started, the blood moon was at its apex, they had failed they knew how the entire village must off felt, their trust misplaced, death and destruction was coming for them all. The pool also seemed to be affected burning into a blood red color just like the moon as if their blood had covered its blue glow. Sharp pain filled every one of their wounds penetrating into their very souls, with the pain came a darkness that would stay with them for the rest of their lives. The beast in them had come to life fed by the blood red pool. What came next was horrendous experience that had no explanation. The pain had returned twice as strong but this time extending their nails into claws, each of their teeth had become fangs. An unearthly screech could be heard for miles followed by hellish creatures emerging and rushing towards the village carrying death with them. The next morning all that was left were mutilated bodies, limbs, blood. fire, remnants of a once great civilization remained, the horror looked straight out of a Stephen King book. Only two bodies were intact their faces and arms covered in blood they lay in opposite sides of the town surrounded by their hard work.           

Chapter 2
Another painful memory from the past, this time it was Mesopotamia in the year 8447 BC. Nicklaus sat on a bench in the city of London. The double decker buses passed by on their daily routes, people walked by minding their own business, listening to music or staring at their I-phones. "Such monotony, humans now seem so much like robots doing the same thing over and over again, the same routine every single day. Everywhere I go in this modern world humanity seem to lose sense of what's important." This was a thought that kept recurring in his mind as he stood up and began to walk down the bustling street. People didn't mind him or give him a second look, they never did, he was just another guy in their minds but he knew he wasn't, history was there to prove it.
London hadn't changed much since the last time he was here: the architecture, beliefs and customers stayed the same. But the people, technology, and form of entertainment had certainly changed. Thoughts like this perplexed him, when did it change so much, times used to be so much different so much simpler. As he walked with his hands buried deep in his black trench coat, a young girl with glistening black hair, and glowing green eyes, those that stare deep into your soul, and a certain and peculiar allure he hadn't felt in a long time, bumped into him. Her phone fell out of her hand along with her portfolio. Nicklaus easily caught the phone but the portfolio hit the floor and papers flew everywhere. The people kept walking by minding themselves trying to keep their schedules to the dot. Nick crouched down and started to pick up the papers. The women still startled followed in his actions and started to pick the scattered papers. As she looked up to apologize for her clumsiness she caught a glimpse of Nick's dark brown eyes. After a moment's pause he broke the silence.
"You need to watch where you are going miss."
"I'm so sorry please forgive me I've just been so distracted, are you alright?"
"I'm fine don't worry about me are you okay?"
"Me I'm fine." A slight smile appeared on her face as her cream colored cheeks began to blush. "I really must be going" as she stood up and started walk away Nick called out at her.
"Miss aren't you forgetting something." As he held out her phone still in his hand"
"Ahh yes I told you distracted"
" I feel like we have have meet before have we?"
"I don't know perhaps in another life."
"In another life indeed."
"Well I have to go see you around."
"You might adieu."
"Bye."
"I just found a reason to say in London, I could swear I know her, but it can't be her she is dead I know because I killed her."              
                                                   chapter 3
In fact he had killed a girl who looked exactly like her, her name was Lisandra, she was a charming girl with a feisty attitude. A great love for the world and a tremendous ability to make people do her will. That was the reason why Michael fell in love with her, he loves structure, order, discipline making him who he is, but it was her rebellious attitude that attracted him to her. Nick understood this and it didn't bother him at all, he respected their mutual attraction. But that was over, he killed his brother's love. He didn't do it willingly of course it was the beast in him who did it that's what he kept telling himself at least. After it all happened Michael didn't blame him, he couldn't for had done the same. He killed their parents, their family, and Michalia, the girl Nick was engaged too, the wedding was supposed to be after the ceremony. It's all over now just a bad dream a nightmare that keeps recurring with every blood moon.
He didn’t know how Michael would react to this news, plus he hadn’t seen his brother in over 50 years, not since World War II. She truly was the love of his life, there wasn’t anything in the world that he wouldn’t do for her and Nick knew this really well.
Two weeks before the Great Ceremony the Tristanson brothers were out fetching water for their house when they heard the screech of a young women it was Lisandra. Nick knew that she must be under attack, so he ran home to get his short sword. But Michael ran the opposite way straight for the screech straight to the sound of a potentially impending death unarmed, not even a dagger yet he ran as if the devil himself was trying to take his soul. Nicklaus realized this and he grabbed Michael's sword also.  This proved to be the right decision for when Nick arrived at the scene of the struggle Michael was engaged into a bloody fight with a Nemean Lion. blood and scratches covered Michaels body yet he fought on.
“Nick get Lisandra out of here, I’ll distract the beast!”
“But what about you?”
“I’ll be fine just go!”
Adrenaline rushed through Michael’s veins covering every inch of his body, He no longer felt pain only courage. Before leaving Nick left Michael’s sword in an easily accessible location. Michael noticed this right as the massive seven foot tall, on hind legs, beast lunged at him. Grabbing his sword Michael managed to injure the beast while receiving an injury himself. The battle was even now both has ways to kill the other, both had motive, the only difference was that Michael had revenge in his eyes.
Blood oozed down the recently given scratch above Michaels eye slowly running down cheek. Michael gave a haunting grinned as if he enjoyed what he was doing. The lion lunged at Michael one last time only this time is was weaker and slower because of the blood loss. Michael knew this was his chance. In less than ten seconds it was all over, the lion fell at his feet, it was over. Nick returned with his father Tristan and Edward both were armed and ready to help Michael.
“What took you so long, you missed out on all the fun.” the sarcastic remark gave everyone present a smile. Lisandra came running in followed by Margaret, their mother, Lisandra took Michael into her arms and embraced him thanking him for what he had done for her. For as long as Nick could remember Michael never backed down from a fight when it came to the people that he held most dear in his life. There wasn’t anything that he wouldn’t do for them even if that lead him to his death. To realize that it was he, who killed everyone that he held most dear, except Lisandra, tore away at Nick’s already aching heart.      

I continued my story please feel free to add ideas or thoughts or ask if you have questions.