A Step Backwards | Teen Ink

A Step Backwards

Suddenly I found myself submerged into complete darkness. The temperature seemed to drop dramatically, going from warm to cold in a manner of seconds. I looked around, utterly confused. Where am I? Is this the… I then spotted something that answered my question, just as I was asking it. Off in the endless black were several round balls of stone, water, and fire. some were small in size, no bigger than a shield, while others were the size of small farm houses. They seemed to be moving as well, fading in and out of the neverending void of black. Seeing this, I came to realize that I was standing on one such orb of stone. I sighed, I really got myself into it this time. Then, an annoying yet familiar voice spoke into my head.

“I told you so” it spoke in its thick accent. Frustrated beyond words, I shot back.
“Oh shut up, or I’ll throw you off the side.”
“ You know I would just come back, right?”
“Yes, and I would throw you off again!”
A slight pause broke the exchange, then, in a smaller voice than before, the voice spoke again.
“Touche”
Again I sighed. This day just keeps getting better and better. First the attack on Hepho, a critical ally in the war to come. Attacked by an army of evil creatures from the see using a massive ship known as the Nightwing. Murgoth Izzarin, cruse his existence, is the leader of this force, and who I believe to be the commanding general for all evil military operations in Taelm. We attempted to hunt him down after the attack in an effort to take him out. All clues pointed to a demi-plane, hidden out in the Outer Planes. It was there I thought we would find him and stop him from finishing his main task, releasing The Dark Master. The first and most powerful of the evil gods. Its actually said he created the other divine evils himself.
We had managed to beat Murgoth to the demi-plane, finding only a small, dark temple. It was here Murgoth would sacrifice the souls of two beings for free his master. Who the two people are, I have no idea. But it doesn't matter, we will stop Murgoth here. Once and for all. At least, that was the plan. Until I made a potentially fatal error. The gates to the temple were sealed by magics so old they couldn't be identified. I decided to take the risk and attempt to open the gate. I thought destroying whatever was inside might even the odds in the coming fight, but I was wrong. Instead, the magics on the gate teleported me to this place. A never ending expanse of black with strange elements floating in every direction.
I looked around once more, filling my nostrils with a salty, smoke like smell, before bringing out a small oak staff out of my Handy Sack. To a normal person, it was a simple wooden staff with a large, bright ruby set into the top of it. To me, the staff only stood a little past my waist line, but to any of the other races, it would like be mistaken as a measly twig. Such as it is with all halfling items. But this staff, as you could guess, was much more. It was an ancient relic called The Balance, and from what I can tell, it helps it’s holder keep order between good and evil in combat. It allows its user to cast specific spells based on which type of gem is present on the staffs top. You can of course change the gem so much as a thought,but you can only do so three times a day. Unfortunately, in my opinion, the staff quite literally has a mind of its own. A strange and annoying voice that I have yet to get accustomed to, but one I will inevitability get comfortable with.
“So,” I said to the staff, “where do you think we are?”
“Hmm, based on the smell and the endless black, I’d say we’re in the Never Ending Depths of Limbo.”
“Brilliant”  I said in a more annoyed tone than upset, “and do you have any ideas to how we can get out? I know very little on the topic of The Planes.”
“Well, our best bet would be to pick a direction and fall that way until we find someone, or something, that can help.”
I glanced over the side of the rock. Seeing that I wasn't going to hit anything mid fall, I took a deep breath of salty, smoky air.
“Alright, Let’s give it a shot.”
And with that, I quickly crossed my arms in front of my chest and fell backwards of the rock.
Almost immediately I began to fall at an insane speed, faster than anything I’ve ever experienced in my life. Spheres of elements whizzed past me as I fell, coming and going in every thinkable direction. Some coming dangerously close to smashing into me, but only just missed. As I fell I tried to keep a keen eye out for anything that could help me get out of this predicament, but there seemed to be only darkness.
“Um, I hate to bother, but has it escaped your attention that we are about to crash into a sun?”
The staffs voice startled me, as it was eerily quiet in the void. I looked down, and sure enough a massive ball of fire was below me. And it was getting closer.
I tried to angle myself to glide around the flames, but my direction refused to change. I simply kept falling down, to what would be my end. I began to panic, frantically trying to change my direction to avoid the fireball before it was too late.     

This is based off a Dungens and Dragons senario.