PROJECT: Recover Elixir | Teen Ink

PROJECT: Recover Elixir

By Lmaokai GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Lmaokai GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

“An enemy,” Wave whispered to himself. The electronic helmet’s visor over his eyes detected a nearby danger. His vision was quickly filtered by the crimson of the mask’s display, as it did whenever it sensed a close threat. Several caution symbols and emergency procedures blinked on the side. A holographic model of him appeared and any unguarded parts of his body glowed, a precaution that helped protect Wave’s vitals.
Wave cursed under his breath and shifted into a defensive stance, covering his upper abdomen with his left arm and his lower half with his right. While his hand gripped the handle of his weapon. Wave crouched slightly so that he would be able to start running easily. He pressed the button on the part of his helmet shielding his right temple, heightening his senses of sight and hearing. Although it was faint, Wave immediately turned his head toward the source of what sounded like someone tiptoeing into a bush. Without hesitation, Wave forcefully drew out the weapon from its sheath and pointed it at the hedge. At first, it merely looked like a pole, but it quickly transformed into a large rifle whose shots were charged with the same electronic power as Wave’s helmet.
A shot rang out, echoing throughout the forest. However, it did not come from Wave’s rifle. A bullet grazed Wave's shoulder and something suddenly arose from the confinement of the shrub. Wave's eyes met a pair of emerald orbs that matched the greenery of the battlefield and a beaming smirk that adorned the person’s face like the setting sun that glowed in the sky, casting a radiant orange on the tops of the forest’s trees.
Wave recognized he figure’s appearance almost instantly for he had met them before. It was Neptune, the co-leader of Night’s Incursion, a corrupt organization that Wave and his comrades constantly had to deal with. As a member of the Circle of Knights, Wave, along with his other associates, helped to guard their city from the Incursion’s troublemakers, including the man who stood several feet in front of Wave. As a young boy, Wave was often exposed to acts of justice and was inspired by those who fought hard to keep the people of his town safe. When he got older, Wave decided to devote his life to defending his fellow citizens. 
Although the Circle of Knights had defeated Night’s Incursion countless times, they always seemed to bounce back and refuse to surrender to them. To end their crimes once and for all, the chief of the Circle of Knights asked for the city’s professor to concoct a powerful liquid he had tested out recently. Whoever drank the formula would obtain superpowers that would make eliminating the Night’s Incursion much easier. The professor called Wave’s boss and he sent Wave to retrieve the elixir. But it appeared that the potion had fallen into the wrong hands.
“Looking for something?” Neptune inquired mockingly, pointing at a glass bottle that contained a bubbling lavender fluid. Wave tensed. It was the elixir he had come for. “It really wasn't hard to assassinate the old bird and steal this,” he said, referring to the elderly professor and his invention. “After our spy eavesdropped and leaked this information to us, we were very intrigued to see what was so powerful about this fluid.” Neptune paused and stared straight at Wave, who was still dumbfounded and speechless. “What do I do? Neptune would never hand it over. If anything, he will destroy the elixir. I have to fight him before some goes terribly wrong.” Wave got ready to lunge toward the malevolent man.
Neptune laughed at Wave’s nervousness. “I think now is a perfect time to test out this thing’s so-called powers,” Neptune smirked and popped the cork off the elixir, downing the mixture inside.

WindRunner GOLD, Troy, Michigan

For those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will fly on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Did Wave make it?

I lovvvvvvvveddddd this piece omg this is beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!