The Disease | Teen Ink

The Disease

January 5, 2016
By VanessaLi GOLD, New York City, New York
VanessaLi GOLD, New York City, New York
11 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As soon as I saw my roommate collapsed, I dropped my sausage back onto my plate and bolted out of the room. The disease had spread this far already. I ran out of the dorm and into the school building, panicking as my eyes caught sight of an endless sea of purple faces. I desperately covered my nose and started yelling for Macy. “Macy! Macy, where are you?” I yelled. Where was she? Was she already infected? The panic in my chest grew into a heavy mass as I sprinted through the hallways. A flash of vibrant red caught my eye and the weight lifted. “Macy?” I called. I slowed my pace and backtracked into the library that I had passed. The girl was, in fact, not my precious sister. The grotesque hue of violet had already spread down to her arms. Her face was quickly shredding and I covered my mouth as I caught sight of the pile of skin on the carpeted floor. I stumbled out of the room and tearfully resumed searching again.
As I ran, my field of view became blurrier and blurrier. I shook my head and determinedly threw open doors and shouted for Macy. I could hear my heart pounding in my chest while a light film of black covered my eyes. I vehemently rubbed my sore eyes. Was I already infected?
“MACY! WHERE ARE YOU!” I screamed. My throat ached, but I continued screaming. Suddenly, a wave of nausea hit me and my body threw itself onto a wall for support. Oh god. I forgot to take my medicines today. I went back to the morning and I saw my unopened medicine bottle on my desk. Cursing, I slowed my run to a walk, my head spinning.
I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head and stopped in my tracks. I lowered myself onto the floor, clutching my head in my hands. I couldn’t go on any longer without my meds. I shakily brought my hand to my face. Purple veins had already started to pop out of my skin, tainting the pale white complexion. I cursed and hauled myself back up. I couldn’t afford to waste any more time. The small school building suddenly felt vast. How could I ever find her in this mess? Maybe it was for the best. If I met up with her, I would contaminate the air around her with the foul stench of rotting flesh.
A ping snapped me out of my daze. I shakily pushed my phone out of my pocket and checked the new message: “Stacy, I escaped. Don’t worry about me. I’ll meet you at Dairy Queen in the next town over!” A smile graced my face. She was safe, thank the heavens.
The glowing blue object fell to the floor with a clatter as I sank back down to the ground with a smile gracing my face. My arms and my face were numb. It was over.