The Forest | Teen Ink

The Forest

December 17, 2015
By lemurialily BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
lemurialily BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Beyond the seas and the mountains, there is a forest. Not just any forest, a magic realm, where fairies are mighty and beasts lie in the shadows. Though this may sound fun, to be there would be like a living nightmare. Our story starts in a village with a little girl named Tigerlily. Tigerlily was 13 and had a warrior personality. Tigerlily was tall and lean with short choppy brown hair. She wore ripped jeans and a tattered forest green shirt. She loved to go into the forest and climb trees and mess with the animals, though she never played with friends. One night she traveled deep into the forest, unaware that she was in the magic forest. As she wandered she could only see by the dim moonlight shining through the canopy. As she collapsed on the ground out of exhaustion, fairies came out to see her, but unfortunately so did the beasts. As the fairies helped Tigerlily the beasts attacked and dragged her to the shadows, a realm forbidden to the fairies. As she was swept away, the fairies frantically rushed to find the queen fairy.
Back in the shadows there was a castle where there was a king monster who wanted to see this Tigerlily. There was a legend saying "The purest of heart will be the bringer of Light or Darkness. Through both kingdoms she will walk and choose a side to fight with. As she stumbles into the forest of magic, the beasts and fairies will help her and one side will rule all." This was very old and had been foretold many times. Now the beasts thought that Tigerlily was the person from the legend. As they brought her to the king, they were very careful not to wake her. The king was 20 feet tall with nails like daggers. He had one thick braid made of dreadlocks. Woven into the braid were tiny sparkles. Then Tigerlily saw the sparkles moving, they were fairies! The beasts were dark and shadowed from light, they had glowing red eyes. With sharp teeth that could kill any mortal with one cut, they were yellowed from lack of hygiene.
Meanwhile in the fairy kingdom, two of the fairies, Aguamirrie (ah-quah-mah-ree) and Roselita rushed to get the fairy queen. The Queen was beautiful with wings made of light shaped like autumns leaves, a white silk dress with feathers on the bottom turning to wisps. She had kind but sad eyes and a gentle smile. She had long flowing blonde hair that moved in the wind. She was alarmed that the beasts had come out of the shadows for a 13 year old girl. Fairies were very weakened when they entered the shadow kingdom. The queen was determined to rescue this girl who was taken. The queen set up a committee to go and rescue the girl who was thought to be from the legend.
The beasts cared for her as if she were royalty and Tigerlily had no idea why. The king soon came to her and told her the legend and explained why she was in the palace. Though she thought it was very nice for them to heal her she really needed to get back to the village, her home. As she tried to escape the beasts caught her every time. There was no escape, but little did she know the fairies were on their way to help her veil the escape. She was held captive in a pampered prison. The king was determined to win the war to come. As she was stuck in the tower she started to realize that she wasn't going home anytime soon.
The fairies stood no chance without their powerful magic and only the queen had immunity to the shadow realm, but what the fairies didn't know was that part of the legend was not spoken to the "people." There was a magical object powerful enough to penetrate the magic and have one fairy become almost all powerful and be immune to the spell weakening them. This object was an anklet and was held by the fairies and had been stored away for the safety of their kingdom. The queen brought it out to the most trustworthy fairy and said "this can give you powerful magic it has the power to let you keep your full magic plus more in the shadow realm.  This item was spoken of in the legend, but only the rulers heard this part. Go and with three other members find the girl and bring her to me."
   The chosen fairy was named Willow. She was a natural born leader. She chose Una and Bronwyn, her two best friends and had powerful magic normally. The third person she chose was not a stereotypical fairy with the normal abilities. She had other special magic too, but never told anyone. Her name was Faerydae meaning dark child. As they set off Tigerlily started to give into the darkness at the castle. They knew they had to hurry because Tigerlily was not under the impression that someone would come and save her.
The trio were going as fast they could and were ready to face anything, except for maybe a dragon that was guarding the castle. They were stopped and couldn't get through. So they had to fight it. They didn't want to, then suddenly the dragon passed out as if it fainted. Willow, Una, and Bronwyn had no idea what happened, but it was Faerydae. Faerydae had telepathic abilities that no other fairy had ever had. She was afraid to tell anyone but she had to tell them if she was to help at all. Faerydae told the other three about her telepathic powers and her willingness and powers to use dark magic as a new "tool." When she had finished the three were amazed and extremely surprised.
Back in the castle Tigerlily was just about ready to help the king win this war that he kept talking about. Then the four fairies burst in and went invisible to all the beasts. Then Tigerlily too was invisible, it was Faerydae who was using dark magic to conceal them from sight. They snuck out and went straight to the fairy kingdom. Tigerlily was so happy to have been rescued from that horrible tower she was trapped in. When they arrived to the fairy kingdom they were still veiled in dark magic so they couldn't enter!
Tigerlily began to glow with blinding light and dark smoky rays when suddenly, BAM! The force field was removed and Tigerlily had magic, both dark and light. The fairies were now frozen as if a spell had stopped time, only the most powerful magic wielders could move. The queen came up to her and asked, "What is your name dear child?" Tigerlily answered proudly, "I am Tigerlily and I have magic now!"
Tigerlily had gained all the kinds of magic imaginable, even telepathic powers like Faerydae. The queen was in awe at what Tigerlily had done, she sputtered then finally said, "you have cast the spell that has only been done one other time, the time stopping spell and during it you have gained magic. You are from the legend, but you are the bringer of Light and Darkness. you are the ultimate magic keeper. You are now immortal."
After that Tigerlily learned how to control her powers, she undid the time stopping spell, and became great friends with Faerydae, Una, Willow and Bronwyn. She also became a ruler of both forces as the legend said. Tigerlily was remembered forever and some more.


The author's comments:

This piece was inspired by my love of fantasy books and fairies. The idea of magic has always fascinated me. I hope that this piece brings a little bit of magic to others.