Nocturne of the Lily | Teen Ink

Nocturne of the Lily

By cheesecake385 BRONZE, Brighton, Colorado
cheesecake385 BRONZE, Brighton, Colorado

The sun gleamed brightly, birds chirped joyously, and water bubbled playfully.  Alicia spun her head around in wonder at the sight around her.  She stood next to a magnificent pond, which had upon it many emerald colored lily pads and star-shaped water lilies.  Frogs hopped cheerily to and fro, dragonflies buzzed here and there, and many butterflies fluttered delicately through the air: almost as though they were dancing on the breeze.  Tall trees surrounded Alicia, completely fencing her in except for one small opening.  This opening always led Alicia back home.  Alicia lived with her mother, Ms. Barnet, in a cottage-like home not too far away.  The house was quite small and humble in nature, but it looked as though it was constructed of marble.  Alicia could not remember a time when she and her mother hadn’t lived in that house, and for good reason.  Although the house itself was relatively, new Alicia’s grandparents had lived in that same plot of land for many years.
Alicia had spent many hours at the pond by her house, and she had always ended up gazing upon the beautiful white lilies that littered the area.  She loved the lilies so much, that everyday she would go from flower to flower greeting them as she made her way about.  This was one of Alicia’s favorite pastimes, and she always took her time: gradually gliding from flower to flower.
Alicia took one last look around her, and then she began her journey.  She went her way, admiring all of the flowers’ beauty, and she gave her usual greetings to them as well.  She would often say things like, “Hello there!”, “How are you this morning?”, “You seem to have blossomed more since last I saw you.”, or “Are you and your neighboring flowers getting along fine?”
Alicia continued her journey, until finally she no longer had any flowers to greet.  Finished with her task, she started her way back home.  But as Alicia turned to look behind her nothing in the area seemed familiar to her.  There were little bushes scattered across the ground, and there was a canopy of trees all around her that shielded most of the sky from view.  As Alicia stood helplessly she realized that she hadn’t seen even a single lily.  This puzzled and frightened Alicia greatly, so she began to search in the endless sea of trees trying to find a way back.
When Alicia pushed a tree branch behind her, she stumbled upon a curious sight.  In the enclosure before her she saw squirrels, birds, rabbits and other woodland creatures sitting silently in a circle like pattern.  Alicia stared bewildered for some time, although the animals seemed to be alright they still hadn’t stirred in the least.  Finally, Alicia decided to get a closer look at the strange creatures, and she began to tiptoe closer.  She tried her hardest to keep her footsteps as light as possible, but even as she slowly sat down besides the little creatures they hardly took any notice of her at all.  Alicia wondered greatly at what the animals could possibly be thinking, but she still dared not disturb them any further.
Alicia surveyed the area trying to find the source of the animals’ anticipation, but she found nothing unusual about it in the least: it was just a normal part of the woods.  However, when Alicia trailed her gaze upwards she realized that it was already dark out.  Her heart sank deep in her chest, and she began to lose any hope of getting back home at all.  The girl was so disheartened that she sobbed quietly to herself, burying her head into her lap. 
When she could cry no more, Alicia lifted up her head and looked about her once more.  The moon was high in the sky and it beamed streaks of moonlight through the canopy.  Everything around her became enwrapped by the moonlight and its cool and gentle glow. 
Suddenly the animals seemed restless, they started to anxiously twitch their whiskers, beat their paws onto the ground, and make various chirping and squeaking noises.  The moonlight began to slowly ebb away until everything became dark.  Alicia’s heart sank once more, and just as she was about to panic she suddenly noticed something rather peculiar.  At first she thought she was just imagining it, but she could’ve sworn that she saw little lights popping up all around her: almost fireflies or stars in the sky.  Gradually the lights got brighter, and they began to resemble the gentle moonlight from before.  Eventually, the lights got bright enough so that Alicia could see more clearly.   As she looked on in awe she noticed that the mysterious lights were emanating from the white lilies that she held so dear.  In that instant all the animals lept from their resting places and started running full speed towards the glowing lights, and without much thought Alicia followed after them. 
The squirrels led in front through the mysterious woods, dashing in every direction.  After them followed the rabbits, who bounded across the floor; then the birds who swept through the air; and then finally little Alicia who chased hurriedly after them.  The animals and Alicia ran all over the forest, switching directions instantaneously whenever the lights changed course.  Nevertheless, the animals never lost pace.  Alicia had much trouble keeping up with the spry animals, but even though she had trouble she refused to lose sight of the animals.  Those creatures were quite possibly Alicia’s last hope: if she lost sight of them Alicia would most likely have no hope of finding her way out of the woods. 
As time went on Alicia was finally able to catch up, for the animals’ brisk pace had finally slackened.  The woods became less thick, and the otherworldly lights began to dim and lessen in number.  By and by, Alicia noticed that she had at last found an opening in the forest of trees.  However, Alicia also realized that the lilies, their mysterious lights, and all of the animals were gone.  Though she was quite puzzled as to why this was, Alicia didn’t waste any time and ran ahead at full speed.  Although she had run continuously without break, Alicia could still feel energy burning inside her.  She pushed back multiple branches behind her as she thrust herself outside of the forest.
When the girl finally caught her breath she looked about her puzzled.  She was back at the trail that led to the the pond, and the sun was shining high in the sky even though she could've sworn it was dark just moments earlier.  As the girl pondered at the sight before her she attempted to look for the opening that had led her out of the forest.   But as she looked behind her she saw no such thing.  Instead of an opening there was a thick wall of trees behind her with no sign of an opening.  Before she could try to figure out why this was she happened to hear something that caught her attention.  It sounded muffled at first, but as it got louder and clearer she recognized the sound of her mother calling her back home.  Alicia ran once more following the sound of her mother’s voice until finally she arrived back home where her mother was waiting for her on the porch.
“Did you have fun at the pond today?” asked her mother warmly.  Alicia stared blankly at her mother for a moment and then slowly answered,
“I did, but didn’t you miss me while I was away?” questioned Alicia cautiously.
“Well you were only gone for so long dear, just as long as you are every other day,” her mother responded nonchalantly.  “Never mind that though darling, come on inside I’ve something to show you,” Ms. Barnet said as she beckoned little Alicia inside.  Alicia blinked for a moment and then delicately followed her mother inside.
“Wait right there, I’ll be back in moment,” instructed Ms. Barnet.  Alicia simply nodded her head in reply.  Shortly afterwards, Ms. Barnet returned with a small book in her hand.  “I found this when I was out today, I recognized it and realized your grandparents had this same book.  They used to always read it to me when I was a little girl, so I thought that I would read it to you now.” said Ms. Barnet.  “Come on and sit down with me so we can read together,” Ms. Barnet said as whisked away towards the living room.  Alicia followed and sat down beside her mother as she read a passage from the book;
As many of you may know, the world you know is quite a strange place indeed.  Many a time, you may stumble upon something extraordinary, or mayhaps something quite mysterious in nature.  This book details some of those many occurrences, in a fashion that most will be able to comprehend.  The first extraordinary thing we’ll detail are the whimsical beings that inhabit the world of trees.  Although you probably never will happen upon the sight of them, you may still cross their paths more oft than you may think.  These creatures are mysterious little beings that have rarely ever been sighted upon by human eyes.  They are guardians that watch over the forests and their inhabitants.  It is said that whenever a night comes when the moon shines bright, these tiny creatures will celebrate by dancing a spectacular moonlit dance.  It is said that this dance is so spectacular that even the moon, stars, and animals will watch in wonder.
Ms. Barnet slowly closed the cover of the book.
“That was always my favorite part of this book, I’d always ask your grandparents to read it to me time and time again.” said Ms. Barnet dreamily, “Well, did you like the story?” she asked Alicia.  Alicia looked as though she was in a trance and stared at her mother wide eyed.  Then finally she nodded her head in reply.