It All Changed... | Teen Ink

It All Changed...

By SamanthaMcClelland BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
SamanthaMcClelland BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana

"You make me want to round my widows and curse …" the radio sang loud as I played with my Barbies. I dropped them down and started to dance.

" Mommy, Daddy, come dance with me!" I yelled with joy and laughter.
     " Quiet, can't you see I'm playing on my phone," my mommy yelled out angrily.
      I didn't understand what I did. I went to my room and cried. Why do my parent always yell at me? I continued to play with my Barbies while I thought. Mommy and Daddy are always on the electronics. Don't they have anything else to do.? I can share my Barbies. Mommy and Daddy say that I am too little to have a Kindle or any electronics so I just play with my Barbies all day. I can't wait for school though. I love to learn. Everyone at my school is so nice and kind. At my country school, we get to have a swing set put in! I'm so excited! We only have 28 days till school. I'm only in 2nd grade, so we play a lot of games.
     "Dinner!" yelled mom. Her voice gave me comfort as it was not as rough as it was before. It was a soft voice making me run to the table. Little  did I know I left my Barbie out in the hall and tripped and cried. I cried a lot. It hurt like a butt cheek on a stick. After I was finished crying we ate. Oh it was so good. Homemade barbyue sauce was smeared across the freshly grilled chicken. We picked up the chicken from our favorite meat shop. They always get the best meat. We also had hand mashed potatoes with homemade butter on top. But the corn was the best it was grilled to perfection. Every bite was like a little taste of heaven. Mommy also made some apple pie. We have three apple trees in our yard that mommy picks her apples from. I help mommy make dinner some night. I want to be just like mommy when I get older.
     "Makenzie, you need to take a shower before bed," Mommy said.
     " Okay Mommy, I will." Mommy went back to her phone and Daddy went outside to work on his car. I went to take my shower and went to bed.
      The sun shined in my eyes making it hard to fall back to sleep.
     "OH MY," screamed mommy like she had just seen a spider.
     "Mommy, are you okay?"I jumped out of bed and ran to the kitchen.
     " Th...the lights they they won't turn on," Mommy told me.
     "Why not?" I asked.
     " I don't know, Go get your father," I ran to find dad, he was on his morning jog. I'm only seven so it took me a while to catch up to him. I finally made it to where he was and told him what Mommy was yelling about. As soon as I finished he ran home leaving me in the dust.
     "Great!" I walked home slowly. I didn't really care about the light wasn't that big of a deal. As I walked home, I noticed that the lights in other homes weren't on. Was this really just power outage or is it something bigger? I made it home in good time. I could tell Mommy was worried before I even got to the door.
     "I'm glad you are safe," Mommy said. I knew then and there something was wrong. Mommy never worried when I was home before. I went to the living room to watch my hour and a half of TV I get a day.
     "Mommy, the TV won't turn on!" said as I tried  again and again.
    Mommy was scared. Which gave me a feeling like none other. Mommy is not scared, she can't be. She is super mom. We ran outside once we realized that nothing was on and that we couldn't turn anything on. Everyone was outside. Everyone was scared. Parents were yelling at each other saying it was the other parents' fault. I started to cry. Every kid there was crying now. Mommy picked me up and tried to calm me down saying that it will be okay.
     " STOP IT! Everyone yelling at each other is not the answer, We need to find out how this happened and how we can get this problem solved. Now stop acting like animals! These kids are terrified because of all the yelling and blaming. Is this really what you want to teach your kids? Lordy!" My daddy was very mad but his speech worked. Everyone calmed down. Later in the night, it started again but worse. Everyone was acting like animals. I tried to look away and forget it. I hid under my pillow covered in blankets. My stuffed animal teddy that my mommy gave me was on the floor but I was to scared to get it. Daddy came in and grabbed it for me. He came on my bed and soothed me asleep. I woke up in the morning to a huge crash.
     "I looked outside hoping to see everyone happy only to be disappointed. There were fires everywhere, people arguing, and kids crying. I ate dry cereal for breakfast. Mommy told me that we can't make food because we have no power. I went to the pool to see if I could swim. To my surprise, people were dumping trash and other things in our pool. Everyone and everything was crazy. It scares me how no one knows how to act without power. I mean I'm just fine. Well, at least I was till people started throwing fireworks. I got hit and got a bad burn.
     "Mommy... Ouch! Help me!" I screamed but everyone just stayed where they were and watched. I cried and cried until mommy finally came. She didn't hear me.
     " What kind of animals are you? Hurting a child then just staring at them as they cry.. What if it was you? You should be ashamed!" Mommy yelled at the crowd that was watching me in pain. Mommy took me inside and cleaned the burn. Mommy started to cry. This was hard for her. I hugged her and fell asleep in her arms. I jerked awake scared that Mommy would be gone. I looked and realized that I was still in her arms. I missed the days when Mommy would sit and hold me. She changed after Grandma died. She cried more and was always sad. She loved her mommy very much, they talked everyday on the phone. Her mom was her best friend. Grandma was at everything from the firsts day of school to my sixth birthday. I loved Grandma, I would go over there every weekend. We would bake cookies and make cake.
      We had dinner it was just a simple dinner. Some people have seemed to calm down . Little did I know I wouldn't be sleeping tonight. It was a long night full of screams and terror. They were crazy people everywhere. I hear the screams and cry for help. I wished on the night star that everything would go back.
I wished and wished for days till finally something happened. I woke up to a quiet neighborhood. Not even a creek of a door or a squeak of a floor board. I cried out with happiness. Everyone wstepped out of their homes. We stood there until everyone was out. Then one by one each family said sorry out loud. We needed to work together if we were going to get through this.
     "Everyone, we need to work this out. We need to stop acting like animals and start acting like humans. We need to be good examples for our children. Let's show them how we can turn a time into a good one. Who's with me?" The crowd cheered. Everyone began to clean up the mess we had made. After we got the mess cleaned up.then was told to collect all the ice we could. We collected the ice and put it in the biggest freezer. Next we were to get all the cold food and put it in with the ice.
     "Great work everyone. Although we have done a lot, there is still work to be done. Children need to all be brought to one home. We need at least  three adults to stay with them. Everyone else, please continue to clean up this mess and let's get dinner ready. Thank you." Everyone got to work right away. Everyone worked to their very best ability helping out in all areas.  When all the food was ready, the women and children ate first. The men ate what was left. No one dared to ask for seconds. We need to save as much food as we could. We still had no idea what was happening to the rest of the world. We didn't know if we could get power back ever.Everyone worked together to make the best of it. There were games for the kids, work for the parents. It was great. For once no one was on a phone. It was a happy moment, till we heard a noise. It was a radio. A battery powered radio.
     “ WARNING! WARNING! THIS IS A PUBLIC ANNOUNCEMENT. ALL POWER IN THE USA HAS BEEN TAKEN OUT. THE GOVERNMENT IS TRYING TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS PLEASE, REMAIN  CALM! I REPEAT REMAIN CALM." Everyone listened carefully to hear this shocking announcement. No one had any power. Will we ever get it back? We learned how to live without it. We can survive without power.

guard-girl GOLD, Clover, South Carolina

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
Proverbs 3:5-6

i like the suspense in this story. You use really good imagery, and other than a few grammar and spelling errors, I liked it a lot :)