how it began | Teen Ink

how it began

By Luig98 BRONZE, Patterson, California
Luig98 BRONZE, Patterson, California

The bow was strung and the blade was sheath they were ready for the hunt tonight was a big event. The people of Madlock had a reason to celebrate and to be fearful the prophecies and bad omens had been completed. The gods were going to war and there was a chance that the end of the world could happen. A twisted and original version of the Norse Ragnorok and the Greek Titans vs Olympians, the god’s war against the titanic forces of cause and destruction was happening tonight. The home of the gods, the moon, would be the center of the battle. The only thing that humanity could do was watch in amazement as the white and sometimes gold celestial body was covered in the blood of the fallen warriors.
The battle could extend itself to the earth realm and if that happened there was nothing that humanity could do from stopping it not even Edward who was Madlock’s most revered and skilled warrior, he was chosen by Reginald the god of war and strategy to lead the village in its time of battle and conflict. There was a way to protect themselves though and that was a ritual that if performed perfectly could spare the village and protect it at least until the next blood moon. It involved the spilling of the blood of the haunted animals a dance that invokes the spirits of the earth to create a wall surrounding the Earth realm to protect them from the battle.
The ritual required five rabbit, three deer, and lone predator it didn’t matter which one for the gods only cared if it killed. It was up to the Georgeson brothers to get the predator for they were the oldest ones outside of the adults. The pride in their parent’s eyes was inexplicable as they said their goodbyes their boys were going to be part of the ritual that is going to save the village and the Earth from d---ation. “Let’s go Nicklaus it’s not like you’re never going to see them again” the comment made by Michael installed confidence in Nicklaus. Pride, joy, and confidence were in the air as the brothers went on their journey the unbreakable bond of family kept them safe and strong.
“You ready for this little brother”
“Of course I am I have been waiting for an opportunity like this my whole life.”
“Is that so Nicklaus why so enthusiastic if I’m going to be the one who brings home the kill”
“No way I bet ill kill a lion before you can get your hands on a rabbit.”
“Is that a challenge?”
“You bet it is”
The banter and talks continued to until they reached the forest there they immediately saw the signs of a pair of Timber-wolves in the ground the tracked were fresh. They string and loaded their bows the thrill of the hunt began. They followed the tracks to a mountainous rocky area filled with steep cliffs long falls and certain death if they weren’t careful. There was a problem though the light of the sun was fading and the moon was coming up they were running out of time.
“---- it”
“What is it?”
“The trace went cold and we are running out of time.”
Nicklaus wonders over close to a ridged edge and he spots wolf scat. The bother continue following the new trail. “Stop” murmurs Michael “we are being followed” before they realized it what appeared to be five hungry overgrown and what looked to be mutated wolves appeared and attacking the brothers causing them to tumble down the cliff. Rocks giving way to other rocks caused the brothers to keep falling downward to what appeared to be an eternity. In all the commotion Michael had drawn his dagger to try to hook onto a rock to break the fall. The fall kept speeding up and to make matters worse Michael's plan backfired and all that he noticed a sharp pain deep in his ribs as he kept tumbling down. Finally the bottom but before they could reach it a boulder the size of a small car hit the floor breaking it thankfully revealing a pool of water.
When they reached the water it felt like such a relieve in their blood covered skin their flesh had been turned into ribbons blood flowed out like a fountain Michael's dagger stuck in his side Nicklaus had sliced open us jugular vein the light faded form his eyes quickly. It was dark the moon was turning red the battle had begun but inexplicably the pool began to glow a sky blue color slowly heeling their wounds. Both brothers too injured to speech lay in the shallow pool basking the minerals. It started the blood moon was at its apex they had failed they knew how the entire village must of felt their trust misplaced death and destruction was coming for them all. The pool also seemed to be affected burning into a blood red color just like the moon as if their blood had covered its blue glow. Sharp pain filled every one of their wounds penetrating to their very souls with the pain came a darkness that would stay with them for the rest of their lives the beast in them had come to life fed by the blood red pool. What came next was horrendous and experience that was so inexplicable at has no explanation for them. The pain had returned twice as strong but this time extending their nails into claws each of their teeth had become a fang the unearthly screech could be heard for miles followed by hellish creatures emerging and rushing towards the village caring death and destruction with them. The next morning all that was left were mutilated bodies, limbs, blood. fire, remains of a once great civilization remained the horror looked straight out of a Stephen King book. Only two bodies were intact their faces and arms cooved in blood they lay in opposite sides of the town surrounded by their hard work. 

this is a short exerpt of a novel i want to start i want to know how people recieve my work before continuing