The Monster | Teen Ink

The Monster

By SplatteredSun BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina
SplatteredSun BRONZE, Lexington, South Carolina

"My back hurts in order to let my wings sprout." ~BTS

I heaved as I finally reached the top of the hill, collapsing next to my tree. I looked up at the bright, baby blue sky, my damp hair scattering across the wet green grass as the humid air touched my sweat-coated skin. My eyelids drooped, and I took a deep breath, holding it for just a second before releasing it. I opened my eyes, sitting up straight and leaning against the rough, peeling bark. My hair got slightly tangled around a small branch. I took notice of the evil aura surrounding the tree, and my heart skipped a beat at the feeling of a million small ants crawling across every inch of my skin. I looked down at my arms and saw nothing, but from the corner of my eye one of the roots of the tree twitched. Must be my imagination, I thought to myself. I closed my eyes for a few seconds when, unexpectedly, I felt something thick and rough wrap around my stomach tightly. My eyes snapped open and I gasped for air, my lungs not expanding like usual. A burning feeling originated from my stomach, and I ground my teeth together as I twisted my body around, trying to wiggle my way out of the root. Then it stopped. I put my head in my hands, taking in deep breaths to try to calm my erratic heart. But, before I knew it, I was swallowed into the evil darkness of the tree.