Jenny's Ritual | Teen Ink

Jenny's Ritual

By TheGreatSakura SILVER, Succasunna, New Jersey
TheGreatSakura SILVER, Succasunna, New Jersey

"Always speak the truth, think before you speak, and write it down afterwards"- Lewis Carroll

“Please, God… please God, please God, please…”
These words were uttered by Jenny on countless occasions. But it wasn’t like they would help at all. Appealing to a higher power was all for naught when you were up for Offering. For Jenny, the ritual should have grown tedious by now, for she had been crossed on the Offering stage twelve times. Twelve times demons have “graced” her with their presences. Twelve times, they all cursed someone else. For Jenny, her fears of becoming Possessed should have by now dwindled.
It was quite the opposite. Jenny’s nerves had never been higher. If anything, the chances of a demon possessing her doubled, maybe even TRIPLED.
“They’ll probably be drawn in by the stink of past suitors…” she whispered as she attempted to tame her unruly red hair. “Why do I have to go again…? This is the fourth time this year…” she grumbled. As she stared into her reflection, Jenny’s fears started to creep their way into her subconscious.
What would happen if she was chosen?
What if she was sent away?
What if the demon took over her body?
What if the police had to put her down?
What if, what if…?
Knocking interrupted Jenny’s train of thought. “What is it?!” she screamed.
“You’re going to be late if you don’t hurry the ---- up!” the voice of her boarding school RA called.
“I’m coming, I’m coming!”
Jenny skidded out of the bathroom, leaving behind her school ID and, believe it or not, her shoes. As to why she was running, Jenny wasn’t fond of Offering ceremonies, but knew that if you were late for one, both the demon AND the teachers got awfully pissy at you. As she slid into her seat behind a few upperclassmen, Jenny leaned forward on her hands. She may not want the demon to take her body, but she always did get a kick out of looking for them. Normally, it was easy to tell the mangled, disfigured, animalesque creatures from the officers and the crowds. However, sometimes the demons came in disguise and the Offering became a game of “Where’s Waldo?”. Jenny sat back and stared into the sky as her principal read the same proceedings that happen at every Offering.
“Welcome citizens, students, and officers. As you know…”
“... today one of these teenagers will be given away to please the Spawn of ---- that have invaded our world…” Jenny whispered. She had practically memorized the stupid man’s whole speech. He never changed it. Jenny often wondered if he himself was a demon in disguise, as she’s learned that the creatures tend to favor consistency and stability into their processes, as opposed to leaving their actions up to spontaneous chance. Demons were predictable that way.
“Now, as we welcome the distinguished…” a hint of animosity lingered in the air, “... demon to our campus and to our students, please be warned that whomever it may choose WILL be-”
The principal was cut off by a blast of thunder.
“But…” Jenny looked around, curious. “It’s not cloudy…”
Thunder rebounded again as the crowds began to murmur and the police began to aim their weapons. Strong winds forced chairs off the grass, and people off the chairs. Jenny held tight to the st of hers, and squinted at the darkness that was creeping toward the stage. The thunder began to pulse indiscriminately, almost as if something were talking.
“Who… is… my… sacrifice…?”
Jenny’s eyes widened. The thunder pulsed again, louder, more aggressively.
“WHO… IS,.. MY… SACRIFICE…?!” it bellowed.
“W-Will you not choose…?” the principal stammered. Lightning rained upon him and the foolish man was incinerated as quickly as he had put forth his question. Screams of terror followed, and all Jenny could see through the petrified bodies of her classmates was fire and swirling ash. Lightning struck again, further agitating the chaos it had created.
“Who are you…?!” Jenny’s voice cut through the din like a knife.
“Who am I…?” the thunder crashed. “Who are YOU?!”
Jenny covered her head as lightning struck the stage, alarming the students around her. From the flames, a lioness walked, regal air trailing her bright red tail. Mint claws left deep gashes upon the wood, and curling ram’s horns spiraled from the top of her head. Her teeth were dripping with blood.
“Please God… please… oh, God, oh God, please…!” Jenny managed to stutter.
The lioness scanned the group of students before her. Without warning, she sank her fangs into the boy closest to her. Jenny covered her mouth, horrified, yet she could not move herself to flee. The last Offering who ran had been shot through the chest. Stalking the students like impala, the lioness tore apart every Offering in her path. Until she reached Jenny. Jenny, who had both her hands clasped over her mouth and her bare feet shaking in fear, could only stare into the mirrors that were the demon’s eyes. The beast’s lips curved into a tooth-filled smile.
“I guess thirteen is your lucky number…”
“T-To your twisted definition of luck…”
“You face me in terror… yet, you come with an aura that I have never felt. Twelve times, you have been Offered, and twelve times you have been denied. As if the weaklings were saving you for me… anticipating I would consider only the best upon my return…”
Jenny couldn’t believe her ears. The many demons who had preceded this witch all were the nastiest, most bloodthirsty monsters she had ever laid eyes on. And this lioness was calling them WEAK?!
“I have heard… the same speech… and the same declarations… and the same shots fired…”
“Over and over again. I understand. Well, girl, you do not have to worry about repetition any longer. I thank you… for your Offering.”
Blood crept down the sides of Jenny’s head, and she clutched her ears in pain. There were no more screams, no more cries for help. There was only a slight ringing… and soon that faded as well.
“B-B****…” Jenny gasped. “My ears… I can’t hear…”
Be thankful I left you will all your limbs intact, human. Ungrateful as you are, you are the perfect sacrifice. Now, I don’t want to rush you, but if you don’t want to get SHOT, we must egress. NOW!!
The demon was speaking though he thoughts?! What more could this devil do?! Jenny jumped off the stage and hurled herself past the police with guns trained upon her. Not knowing where else to go, she made a dash for the woods that surrounded the city. Gunfire came from all directions, and a bullet grazed Jenny’s arm as she dove into the protection of the trees. When she was far enough, she leaned against a tree, holding her arm.
“So… now WHAT?”
Now? Now, the police follow your blood trail and open fire. Simple.
“You’re evil…”
Perhaps. But I implore you to look at the grand scheme of things. I granted you with my essence inside you. You paid a price, so says the law. My freedom, for your hearing. You can’t reap ALL the benefits, you know.
Jenny slid to the ground and stared up at the once peaceful sky.
“What’s your name?”
Ionigraathsat.
“What kind of ---- name is that?”
It was given to me upon my conception! The demon overlords hear my name and kill themselves to save me the trouble!
“It’s a ---- name… and I’m gonna forget it anyway. How about… just Ioni?”
I despise nicknames…
“Suck it up…” Jenny whispered. The wind began to howl, carrying with it the hoots of owls and the snarls of demon wolves. She closed her eyes to attempt sleep. She would be sleeping for two now. Life was about to get a lot less boring. And a lot more painful.
In the trees, a young man watched Jenny, his artificial arm gripping one of the branches to keep him aloft.
“I see her.”

This is a background to Jenny, one of the four main characters from my story "Law of the Demon". This excerpt tells of how Jenny became a "Possessed", host of the demon Ioni, the situation differing greatly from Quinn's.