'Til Death Do Us Part | Teen Ink

'Til Death Do Us Part

September 21, 2015
By SecretMage BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
SecretMage BRONZE, El Dorado, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the Kingdom of Ayrith there is a war that has torn the country in half. With the late King Gramm passed with no living heir. Both the Druids and the Necromancers want to take the throne for themselves.

Chapter 1: Introduction

Here in the kingdom of Ayrith there is a major war between the two dominating forces, the Druids and the Necromancers. Both being a specialized type of magic user. Druids being masters of all things living while Necromancers being the masters of the dead. The two had been at opposition for years and around the past year, tensions have risen between the two. With the late King Gramm deceased and with no rightful heir to the throne, the Council thought that it should be one of them to inherit the throne. The Council was made up of the influential leaders of the kingdom, Egeor Lowreaver leader of the Druids. Madhir Ashes leader of the Necromancers, Sera Pentagast leader of the non-magic users, also called Regulars. The Necromancers and Druids gave arguments as to why they should lead the country for months before an incident that caused deaths on both sides, each side feeling they had no other choice than to seek revenge. After it was officially a war to usurp the throne, the Regulars were forced to pick a side and were split in half and each pledged themselves to the Druids or the Necromancers.
In the middle of the war, there were two people that had never met each other before, one was a Druid boy gifted at birth with magic to control the living, and the other was a girl raised a Necromancer with magic to raise and control the dead. Each were not yet masters of their craft,  still in training. The Druid was named Ezekiel Milner and he was quite tall and a very lanky. He was 19, standing at 6’3 and as customary of the Druids he wore light colors, the flowers and vines in the design of his school uniform indicated that he was a Botany student at Zodorth.
The Necromancer, named Dilya Morte, stood at the height of 5”3. She was training her Necromancy skills in an apprenticeship. Her interest was in plants and crops, mainly focusing on how to bring dead plants back to life to help the harvest. She wore black robes that wrapped around her body; there being a custom design of black roses on her robes.
  Dilya had grown used to the war for the kingdom; a year of anything begins to seem like routine. Especially if it is all anyone will talk about. If anything, she was growing bored of it. Sure, all of the news when it first started was interesting enough but she tended to grow bored of things quickly. She needed something to break the mold. She needed to do something exciting. She had over heard her teacher the other night talking about a dangerous plant that was deep within the forest. Dilya knew that this was perfect. After all, what was better than a life-threating situation? When her teacher fell asleep she dressed herself and got her gear for the trip into the woods.
Ezekiel laid in his dorm looking up at the ceiling as he lay on his bed. He had nothing to do, he had already done all his class work for the next week, and he was not particularly social so he had no parties to go to. He flipped away through his textbook. It was filled with pictures of plants of all kinds. He stopped flipping when a certain plant caught his eye. He read its bio and learned that it was not located too far from here, if he could get a sample of it he could possibly get extra credit from his teachers. He sat up and packed and put on his clothes and headed towards the forest. Little did he know that the forest was a dangerous place.

Chapter 2: The Forest

In the large forest that separates the kingdom was many different forms of life that could not be found anywhere else. Both Dilya and Ezekiel were unknowingly headed to the same plant. After a few hours of walking through the dark forest, the only light being the soft glow of the moon. Both found themselves at a waterfall each of them unaware of the others presence. Dilya noticed the soft blue glow from the top of the waterfall and recognized it as the plant she was looking for, she looked up the cliff face and began to climb up it.
Ezekiel noticing it too decided to just find a way around instead of climbing the cliff. Soon both of them were to the top and moved towards the glow. When they drew closer to the plant they saw they dim outline of the other and screamed out and fell to the ground.
“Who are you and what are you doing here?” said Dilya in a unpleasant tone
“I could ask you the same thing!” said Ezekiel standing up slowly cleaning off the dirt from his robe. He walked over to the girl to help her up, When he extended his hand to her he noticed her black clothes. He knew this meant she was a Necromancer and retracted his hand.
“Y-you’re a Necromancer?...” he said in a worried voice. Dilya stands herself up. Cleaning the grass and dirt off her clothes.
“Yeah I am, so that probably means you’re a Druid, right?”
“Yes I am…listen I’m not looking for trouble I just wanted to see this plant and that is all. So why don’t we just go our separate ways?” he says trying not to start something with the Necromancer. He had heard from his classmates that Necromancers were twisted people who killed people to experiment on. Of course these were all just rumors told to mess with the under classmen, as it was against Necromancer code to harm a living human.
Dilya looks to the soft glowing plant and points at it. “You came here for that plant? Well what a coincidence I’m here for that too. My name is Dilya…Dilya Morte. Necromancer in training…but don’t worry I won’t do any experiments to you…or do I just want you to think that?” she chuckled and reached her hand out to shake his hand. He sheepishly accepts her offer for a handshake.
“I’m Ezekiel Milner as you know I’m a Druid and here for a sample of that plant for some extra credit. You said you were here for it too? I’ve never heard of Necromancer interested in anything living before.”
“Uggh this again. I’m beginning to get a little sick of these bloody stereotypes about Necromancers saying we all just love the smell of smell of coffee and fresh corpse in the morning. Yes I’m a Necromancer that studies plants and how to bring crops and other things back to life.”
“Jeez I didn’t mean to pick at a scab…sorry about that. It’s just not hard to see you guys as that because of the war and all…well you certainly don’t see harmful, maybe a bit cryptic but not dangerous. Why don’t we get what we needed and be on our way? It is very late after all.”
“Yeah sure whatever and for a Druid you don’t seem like a total snob.” She smirked and turned to the plant walking over to it and crouching down to it. She reached into her bag and pulled out a mason jar unscrewing the top. She observed the strange plant it looked like the glow was from some kind of chemical that was in it that caused the petals to emit a soft blue glow. She plucked off a part of it by a stem. In her hands she twirled it between her fingers admiring its beauty before putting the sample in the jar and sealing it shut and put it back in her bag.
She watched Ezekiel do a similar process except he seemed more precise and careful about extracting the sample, pulling out a pair scissors and cutting it off at the stem and using a hand with a glove on it and put it in a jar.
He looked over at her, she was watching him extract the sample. She had this grin on her face that he could barely make out from the moonlight. “What are you grinning at?” he chuckled and stood up.
“Oh it’s nothing really I just retract my statement about you not being a total snob. Cause you so are. What kind of self respecting Botanist doesn’t handle plants with their bare hands? Its just funny is all.”
His face made a slight pout “It’s the proper procedure when handling a unknown plant. I am so not a snob!”

Chapter Notes:

This is as far as I got but I plan to finish it.


The author's comments:

I am a Sophomore in high school and this is my first piece for my creative writing class. It is currently unfinished.