The Clairvoyents : Chapter 1 | Teen Ink

The Clairvoyents : Chapter 1

August 31, 2015
By Yummybombsthor BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas
Yummybombsthor BRONZE, The Woodlands, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

     As I walked through the cave, it started to feel as if the walls were closing in on me. The light from the opening of the front of the cave began to dwindle the further I went and the already damp air became almost too much to handle. I could now barely see any light aside from a dim stream a few feet ahead of me and even then I had to scoot all the way to the wall of the cave so that I didn't block it. I pressed myself to the wall and the wetness of it started to seep into the cotton pajama top I was wearing. Somewhere far ahead of me I could here a buzzing sound. Is it a bug of some sort?

     Where am I going? Why am I walking in a cave and how did I get here? I hardly feel like I'm walking anymore. Its almost as if I'm floating. Well, less like floating and more like being pushed by some invisible force. Almost as if there's a hand on my back. Is there? Its starting to feel more clear now and there is most definitely a hand on my lower back urging me forward. From slightly above me I can feel hot breath on my neck and I can hear  quiet yet heavy footsteps behind me. They fell in line with mine almost perfectly.

      The walls of the cave suddenly narrowed even further and I started shaking. I was like a feather. Everything was becoming lighter and I felt almost as if I wasn't moving at all even though I could still hear the footsteps and feel the hot breath. This was almost like getting your wisdom teeth taken out. You know the pain medication they give you to knock you out? How you wake up and you feel as light as a feather and like nothing can touch you. Its a peaceful bliss.

    Until of course you start to feel heavier and heavier until you feel like your feet wont leave the ground. Like a rock. Or possibly a boulder.

    At this point the cave was barely three feet wide and I could hardly move my arms. Breathing became more and more difficult and with the damp air it was almost as if I was drowning. Could we be below sea level? Seemed likely. The buzzing began growing louder. From what began as a single fly started to sound like a swarm of locusts. The footsteps almost entirely disappeared  behind the sound of buzzing and rocks falling from somewhere behind.

     The hand disappears from my back and abruptly replaces itself on the collar of my shirt. The person stops and pulls on my collar to where I choke due to the impact of  the front of my shirt and my neck and I almost fall backwards.

     When I regained my balance, a gruff voice spoke. The guiding hand (Well, shoving hand.) suddenly had a person behind it.

    "Elizabeth Hadley. You have been selected."

    And then I awoke.


The author's comments:

This is only the first chapter of the new novel I am currently writing called "The Clairvoyents". I plan on uploading a new part everyday. Enjoy :)