Betrayal By Beast | Teen Ink

Betrayal By Beast

By TheBananaKnight BRONZE, Houston, Texas
TheBananaKnight BRONZE, Houston, Texas

Writing isn't putting words on a page, it's creating a world where readers can leave their struggles behind.

No one ever would have thought that Jake would die at a young age. He was a young, healthy, athletic teenager and had nothing to do with his parents past. But alas growing old and having a family was not the life for Jake, I guess you could even say, that Jake wasn’t meant to have a life at all. He wasn’t meant to exist.
Jake McGregor had a normal family and a normal life, or so he thought, he had a girlfriend and friends, he was on the football team and started as a running back. He thought he had it all. But you can never have it all, because even in life you don’t have death and in death, well… you get the idea. Unlike most jocks however, Jake was actually very smart he got mostly A’s and B’s and a couple C’s in history, but what Jake loved most was his Rubik’s Cube. Every year on his birthday his mother and father would get him a new special one. For instance, when he was five he got a 5 x 5 Rubik’s Cube, and when he was seven they got him one that was tainted glass. His dad had died in a car crash a month before his last birthday. This year Jake was confused when his mother handed him his gift. It was a regular cube, and all his mother said was “there is a secret in this cube son, and I hope you can figure it out”. Ever since then Jake spent all his time with the cube.
Jake found the secret on the date April 7, 2017. He chanced upon a pattern that spelled his name across four of the sides. The moment the pattern fell into place the Rubik’s Cube fell apart and left a single ring in his hand. The ring was engraved with a picture of a beast, a beast that never stopped hunting its prey. A beast that had never been beaten.  As Jake touched the ring it absorbed some of his body heat and jolted Jake with a small shock. He dropped the ring and stumbled back into his desk. Slowly, ever so slowly Jake picked up the ring, but just as the ring absorbed his heat, the beast awoke and looked around at its strange surroundings, it was surrounded in darkness but the beast could just make out shelves, tubes, tools, and a hulking hunk of metal. As Jake walked to his parents room, the beast grumbled under its breath, “finally, another hunt, where have masters been keeping my feast. As Jake showed his mother the ring, she asked him to grab a hammer from the garage. As she slipped behind him and locked the door. He turned to ask her why he needed a ring. He saw the door. Closed, locked, and shut. It was the last thing he saw.
The beast and its master climbed into the jeep. Jake’s “mother” patted the beast and complimented its efficiency. The beast smiled to itself. It was exciting to hunt but maybe next time its prey will run, and he will chase.

This is my first article, I wanted it to get straight and to the point. I wanted it to have a short plot (because I’m out of practice). The best way I could think of to do this was to kill off the main character. Hope You Like It.