Sirens-The Transforming | Teen Ink

Sirens-The Transforming

By samiller20 BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York
samiller20 BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

Captain Moran flicked his hands outwards. The sailors clearly knew what this meant. They dropped me, relinquishing their tight grip on my arms. Down I went, falling miles, down to the dark water far below. Time slowed down. It felt like it took hours, days, weeks, years to reach that cold mass and meet my fate. The only thought that ran through my mind was Why? Why would my father do this to me?
I hit the water with a splash. It was like ice, cutting into my skin like a knife. The waves were rough, like those before a storm. I was pulled under instantly before I could even process what was happening.
Water rushed into my mouth, and the salt burned my throat, like I just swallowed fire. I felt a piece of seaweed wrap around my ankle, like a shackle on a slave. I went to pry it off, but to no avail. The waves continued to whip me around, as if I was a doll, but the manacle remained locked around my flesh.
The salt seared my vocal cords, and I knew that even if I somehow managed to survive this, somehow managed to live, I would never be able to talk again.
I was weak, my energy fading. But I didn’t care; I continued to fight, to kick, to thrash as much as possible. I tried to break the surface but it seemed impossible. The air was just beyond my reach.
I couldn’t breathe. My eyesight was darkening around the corners.  My lungs were on fire, and I could feel a dull ache spread through my body. My rain was fuzzy, shutting down from the lack of oxygen. I was dying. I was dying and all because I refused to let myself rot on a city street. 
But then…I could breathe. I had no clue why, no possible hint of an idea at to the reason, but I didn’t care. It felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest. I sucked in air, and was flooded with strength. My head cleared, along with my eyesight, with every breath I took.
I tried to kick my legs again, but they felt glued together. I couldn’t separate them. I looked down, and it was almost like the flesh had been melted together. But that was impossible. That would take fire and I was underwater.
There was a greenish tint to them as well. And was the outline of…scales visible? No, no, no. I was dying, drowning, and my brain had decided to ease the pain by hallucinating. I could the angels, singing, calling me home. Soft hands closed around my biceps and pulled me along gently. They were leading me home, bringing me back to my mother.
I shut my eyes, and relaxed, everything would be fine…I would be okay…It would be okay…