Thousand nights, same owl | Teen Ink

Thousand nights, same owl

By Irma Alibasic SILVER, Skopje, Other
Irma Alibasic SILVER, Skopje, Other

Dr. Amanda Tyson, a well-known psychologist from Wichita, Kansas, has a lot of patients visiting her lately. Immediately after she enters her office, a patient knocks on her door. It is a woman in her mid-thirties, she is wearing a black tight skirt, combined with a magenta shirt with white stripes and black leather boots. The woman tells the story of how this morning she woke up and saw her husband’s dead body next to her in their bed. She noted that he had a scar on his right shoulder and looked like he was murdered. Dr. Tyson decides to use a hypnotherapy session with her patient in an attempt to remember back to that night and recall the face of the murderer. She starts counting, and when she reaches 9, her patient is already hypnotized. Dr. Tyson asks her questions about that night and the murderer. The patient cannot speak because she is frightened. Her body starts shaking. Tyson asks her questions several more times, but the patient doesn’t say a word, as if somebody is stopping her. Tyson wakes her patient up and signs an appointment for another day.
The following morning, before Dr. Tyson enters her office, she sees a young boy standing in front of the door. He is skinny with blonde long-ish hair and deep blue eyes with dark circles under them. Tears are dripping down his face. He looks like he was waiting for Dr. Tyson all night long. Tyson takes him in her office. The boy willing to communicate with Dr. Tyson, asks if she could hypnotize him so he could tell her what had happened. The boy, Greg, starts telling a story of how some creatures attempted entering his room and tried dragging him away from his bed. When Dr. Tyson asks Greg if he remembers how the “creatures” looked like he replies by not even saying a word. Just like the previous patient, he acts like someone is stopping him from telling the truth. Greg’s body is now shivering, so Dr. Tyson quickly wakes him up.  She accidentally touches his right shoulder, and Greg in response to that, groans loudly. Dr. Tyson takes a look at his shoulder and notices that it is the same scar like her previous patient’s husband had had, who was murdered by someone.
  Dr. Tyson falls on her bed, exhausted from working all day long. As soon as she turns on her right side, she sees an owl standing on a branch behind the window of  her room. It is so dark, only its eyes are visible, shining like two black diamonds. She ignores the owl this time, and goes back to sleep. The next morning, she’s feeling tired like she didn’t get any sleep. She grabs a cup of coffee and starts dressing up for work. In the morning she didn’t have any patients coming. After she takes her coffee break, Greg comes by. He is muddled and seems to be worried. Dr. Tyson tells him to sit down in order for him to feel comfortable. He beg Dr. Tyson to use another hypnotism session, because he feels like something consequential had happened. Dr. Tyson puts him under hypnosis to discover what had happened the previous night. She takes the tape recorder and makes notes on her patient. Greg tells how he had seen an owl staring at him for hours at a time, and how after he heard someone entering his room violently and speaking a very weird language with an extremely deep voice that he’d never heard before. Unwilling to continue talking and finish what he was saying, Greg leaves.
That same night, Dr. Tyson forgets to stop the recorder, and falls asleep while it is still on. The following day she listens to the tape, and notices that last night, some time after she fell asleep, noises and sounds are heard accompanied by her horror-stricken, loud screams and a voice speaking in an unidentified language. Anxious, while taking a shower, Tyson discovers a scar on her shoulder. She perceives that it was the same looking scar as the one on Greg’s shoulder. Dr. Tyson still cannot remember anything from last night, that’s why she asks her close friend, Barbara, which is also a psychologist, to put her under hypnosis.
Dr. Tyson lays down and waits for Barbara to count up till 10. Barbara counts till 8, and Dr. Tyson is already hypnotized. She asks Tyson only one question about the previous night, saying: “What happened last night?”, Tyson starts shaking and gaggling and screams loudly: “ALIENS!!!”, while her face turns flaming red and her eyes start popping out of her face.