Almost is never the answer | Teen Ink

Almost is never the answer

June 9, 2015
By Anonymous

“Almost there” I wiped my forehead with my hand and rubbed my hand against my clothes to get the sweat off, I continued climbing the mountain. In faster than a heartbeat I fell back farther than from where I started. I got up and kept climbing, I was finally at the point I fell from, I kept going, I was closer to the top! I felt like giving up but i saw someone else from a distance climbing the same mountain I was, it strangely motivated me to climb harder  “Almost there” I said again.
I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock going off, I was in bed wishing it was the weekend, “the only reason I even go to school is for English class, I want to become a writer and were currently taking my favorite unit right now” Those thoughts had me more motivated to go to school, I got up and got ready for school. I stood in line for English class outside my classroom; I was always the first one in line (or at least one of the first people) most of my class mates were ruthless about school in general, I was passing all my classes 9th grade wasn’t that hard from my experience, I was ruthless about some classes but not too ruthless. “Alright class, today I will be assigning you in groups of five, and each student is required to write one response for an optional diary entry,  pages 1-75 in The Diary of Anne Frank” my teacher said. We just started reading The Diary of Anne Frank, last week we started and we read the first part of the book as a class, I genuinely enjoy reading this book because I realized me and Anne Frank have a lot of mutual feelings and I can totally connect to the writer, before I knew it I was assigned to a group and the people in the group weren’t my favorite people in my class. “I know I’m going to end up doing all the work” I thought to myself as the bell rang.
I had gym class after English, I love to sweat and do something productive and get what I earn after I work really hard, that is why P.E is one of my favorite subjects as well as English, most kids my age don’t like P.E but I honestly love to work out and be physically healthy, today is Wednesday which means we have to run a mile, I was not too excited because every time I try being optimistic about something, something really bad ends up happening so at this point I don’t know what to feel. “Girls your passing mile time is 9 minutes and 52 seconds, boys your passing mile time is 9 minutes and 15 seconds. I started to panic a little bit because my fastest mile time is 10 minutes, although I am passionate about running and physical fitness I am not the fastest runner. “On your marks, get set! Go!!” most of the kids in my gym class ran as fast as a cheetah, but I decided to start normal and just jog fast, I remembered something my older brother told me for advice on running; “start off by jogging and NEVER stop and take a break, keep jogging and don’t run as fast as you can at the start line, then before you get to the finish line in a little run as fast as you can”. I took his advice. I a half way there, so far I jogged a lap and a half, I wanted to stop and take a break because I was running out of breathe but I couldn’t stop I took my brothers advice to heart. I was about to give up and stop but right when I was about to stop someone started jogging next to me, for some weird reason it motivated me to jog even faster than I was before, I kept jogging and jogging I went faster than that person then they vanished… right when I was about to get to the finish line I ran as fast as I could, “I probably never ran this fast” I thought to myself. “9:10” I heard my P.E coach yell, I was really proud of myself, I accomplished something great today, I got a faster time than the boys passing time! After I got dressed out of my gym clothes and drank some energy juice I started getting visions of reaching the top of some mountain but I wasn’t sure what that was? I just shook it off and went to my next class.
“ I’ve always wanted to stand out, show my creativity, my dream is to become a writer, a writer of fiction and creative nonfiction. I have a passion for writing. Every time I try being positive about something there always seems to be something holding me back from what I want to reach, I don’t know what I did to deserve not reaching the top and accomplishing what I want, they say that you don’t know what you have until its gone, they say that you’re darkest hours come before you’re dawn. Holding me back is just going to motivate me to try harder than the first time, I admit I am a person who loses hope too quickly but I am working on that and motivating myself to try harder and getting to the top.
I currently attend UCLA (my dream school since I was in middle school) in California, my major is journalism, I am a journalist, a writer of fiction. I am currently a freshmen in college and genuinely enjoy my work and my major, back in high school I never thought that I would reach the top and do what I want for a living, I was a negative thinker, but from my experiences in life I realized its you’re choice if you’re happy or not, there could be bad events occurring and you can still choose to have a good day, it depends on you. It’s you whose going to allow you to reach you’re goal. There used to be feelings I get of things holding me back from my goal but when I get that it makes me feel more confident and with each step forward I would take it makes me stronger. Never let anything or anyone come in between you and what you want to do for a living.               


The author's comments:

This story that i wrote and am now publishing is a story that inspires me and is the type to also inspire my audience because kids my age may be struggling with school issues not just social but academics and this may inspire you to stay in school and go to college