WWIII | Teen Ink

WWIII

June 9, 2015
By McBeast77 BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
McBeast77 BRONZE, Pasco, Washington
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Now only bottled water is drinkable and only the most ferocious mutant predators are left. Many fumes and toxins were emitted in the air during WWIII due to the mass nuclear warfare between America and what was formerly known as North Korea. Although society is advancing still, our planet has become a death filled wasteland and this place might not even be habitable for humans in the nearing future. America now includes Canada and Mexico; they have now joined forces with Africa and many South America. America is working on stabilizing another planet for human survival, but the results so far have been far from hopeful. The most ironic thing about the 22nd century is that we are putting so much time and effort into advancing technology, yet we are nearing a serious food shortage and the population is increasing. I log on to my laptop to check the daily news and read about some whatever current conflict America is currently in.
The world is different now. Almost every town looks like a nuke town. Vegas, one of the most populated cities on the west coast, has ravaged sky scrapers. Some of the wreckage is being picked up and some is being rebuilt, but it will never be the Vegas that I remember from my childhood.
I head into my kitchen to make a smoothie for breakfast and get ready to run to the local hazard center. The survivors have been meeting there since the bombings. I don’t like leaving my house because I have to leave my mom and brother home by themselves. At the meetings we usually talk about the current world affairs and the current threat of Russia coming with another bomb to finish off all life in the U.S. Scientists think they have developed a deterrent missile, but that is also what they thought during the war.
I got hired after the war to consult on world affairs since I am nearly one of the most qualified people left in America. I try to be open-minded at the meetings, but it seems like the all the people left in the world are fighting towards destruction while I’m simply trying to neutralize the aggression. Most the survivors have been suffering from depression and anxiety because of the death of family members, destruction and the ongoing battle between the superpowers of the world. In my view, there will be no superpowers if there is no world. Many people fighting the war today have reached the brink and completely forgot about peaceful coexistence.
I have to drive a couple miles to “Area 51.” When I walk into the meeting I am greeted by today’s speaker and I am told to sit anywhere in the rows of chairs spread across the floor of the rectangle room with a platform at the end where the speaker was standing.
“Hello, my name is John and as many of you know I am the head of the department of defence for the U.S. at this time.” He boasts over the small crowd of people. The crowd begins to mumble about John and his aggressive approach to defense and whether or not they agree with him
John speaks again “I need a brave volunteer to help act as military transporter and pick up missiles from the east side of Washington”
Nobody jumps, everyone would much rather stay in their safe bunker homes and stay protected. In this day in age there are always missiles and bombs flying and I know that the missiles at Hanford have the potential to end the world as we know it.
The man point directly at me and yells “You, You need to help your country stay powerful and stay respected!”
I look back as if maybe he isn’t taking to me although I know he is. I don’t respond. He then comes down from the speakers’ platform and brings me the keys to an armored hover craft. I hesitantly take the keys and the entire crowd watches me as I leave the room. I don’t know how any of this is happening, but I get into the truck and stop by my house to give let my brother know I will be gone for a couple hours. I don’t tell him there is a possibility of me not making it back.
As I leave the city I being to think of all the possible ways this mission could go wrong. It is scary driving down the highway because this is my first time traveling since the war began about three years ago. There are many collapsed buildings of the road and on the ground all I can see for miles is the wreckage of what use to be a thriving city.
It takes me about an hour to get to Washington; I enter a city called “Pasco” first then another city called “Richland” where the Hanford missiles are kept. I Drive up to the gates where I am expected and directed to the loading dock. I pick them up and I am told by one of the scientist there “Drive fast, but be careful.”
I feel very cautious pulling out of the Area but I begin to head back. I am about an hour out when I hear something come in over the radio “There are Asian spies tracking you and we think they may be a threat.”
This makes my heart begin to pound. My palms become sweaty and I speed up. I am only about fifteen minutes out from Area 51 and I can see the trackers in my rearview camera. The small drones begin to shoot. I hear the bullets begin to bounce of the armored metal. “Tink, Tink” it sounds like from inside. I radio in confirming the spies are on me and attacking. And I am told to stall not to give away the Area 51 entry point. I try to lose them but they are persistent.
“I don’t think the craft can last much longer” I yell through the radio speaker
I begin to land it down in the Area when the engine is shot out. I begin to spiral down and I know this is it for me and any one not safe in a bunker within a 100 mile radius. I didn’t really want to live in this kind of world anyways. As my last request I radio in to the hazard center “Keep my family safe” I say with a quivering voice. I close my eyes and clench my jaw as I quickly approach the hillside