Vampires | Teen Ink

Vampires

May 19, 2015
By Merritt Hanley BRONZE, Mill Creek, Washington
Merritt Hanley BRONZE, Mill Creek, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Sam is a vampire tired of living the life he lives. He wants to experience new things and meet new people. Against his brother's wishes, he sets off to find Jacob, an older vampire, the only one who has experienced the human world and made it out alive. Together, Sam hopes to experience the new things he has wanted and hopefully nothing will get in their way...

Chapter 1: Vampires

Vampires
Hero's Journey
            In the deepest of the ice caves in Granite Falls, Washington, lived a clan of indigenous vampires. These vampires have been there since the beginning of time, and were dedicated to staying for the rest of eternity as they believed that the reason they live so long is because they cut themselves off from society so well. Because they were stuck in one area, isolated from contact with any diversity, the vampires seemed to all have the same personality and outlook on life. They did not know this, but almost all of the vampires were clinically depressed. They experienced hopelessness and lethargy on a daily basis, and had no inspiration or future outlook to do anything exciting. However, there was one vampire that who definitely stood out from the crowd. His name was Sam, a teenager that was always complaining of how closed off they were from everything, and how he just wanted to explore and see what was outside of all that he's seen, his cave. One night, Sam confessed to his older brother, "Man, Andrei, don't you think there's anything out there? Better than here? Better than being surrounded by such a constantly upset group of people?"
"Since you seem so optimistic about the outside and see yourself as so much higher than all of us here, why don't you meet Jacob? Look at him and you'll know what leaving this cave of safety means", Andrei sneered sarcastically.
“Yes I do know what it means. It means I can finally be free and live my life the way I want to; the way every human being gets to live theirs.”
But Sam felt scared. He knew that if he wanted to do anything different than the people around him he had to meet this vampire. So he fluttered his wings and flew to the deepest pit of the cave, where he knew a "monster" lived. It was known that Jacob tried to leave, but came back, as (according to rumors) his mission to try and escape cursed him and he now lives with a deformed face, skin melted to his neck and lopsided eyes. Sam prepared himself, changed forms into being, and knocked on the door. Jacob answered, and the rumors of his looks were correct. They did not bother Sam, however, as he saw them as battle scars and a sign of bravery and courage. So he asked him to train him and teach him his mistakes and how to prepare himself for an adventure, and find a place to explore. Jacob began his teachings, and taught him how, because he went out in the sunlight, he got these deformations. They must stay low, and try to make it to a place called Alaska, where it is dark for a majority of the day. There are beautiful landscapes there and he told Sam he would enjoy it very much.
            So, Sam left an etching in the cave ceiling where his brother was sleeping that said "I will show you, Andrei", and then Sam and Jacob fluttered out of the cave in a hurry, to try and cover the most distance while it was dark. They had to avoid the sunlight, and once Jacob's senses told them that they were near light, they had to take cover either underground, beneath rocks, or in a cave. It was hard for Sam to keep up with Jacob, as he was much older than him and did not have much practice flying long distances. However, his will and determination kept him up to pace. One night, when they were resting beneath the stars, recharging energy, a hippie couple came across and asked if they could lay with them. Sam was very excited as he has never shared a beautiful moment with anyone, and said "of course", and they laid and enjoyed the stars and constellations together. They spoke of the mysteries of the universe and outer space, and Sam felt more at peace and joyful than he ever has. He knew he had to meet more people, and that the place of "Alaska" would be perfect for him. So after a pleasant goodbye, Sam and Jacob continued their voyage. "You seemed a bit too happy, back there Sam. There are many good humans, but many bad ones as well. Be careful, and only share with those your love that deserves it".  Sam shrugged this off, how could there be genuinely malicious people in such a gorgeous world, he thought to himself. It was beginning to get light, so Jacob found a pile of rocks they could lay beneath until it got dark again. They fell asleep, but woke to the sound of footsteps. They looked up, and saw tranquilizer guns pointed in their face. Their vision blurred and faded.
            They awoke in the back of a Jeep, with dark, tinted walls and heard murmurs of two older men in the front seat.
  "Those dorky goths probably have no one that cares for them or would worry if they disappear! We can do our testing for our new medication on these guys, and get rid of them later, and it will be like nothing even happened!"
Jacob and Sam looked at each other and knew they had to pounce on these men once it got dark.
“You guys are messing with the wrong ‘people’. I’ll give you one more chance to let us go,” Jacob demanded.
The men pulled over at a pit stop once the moon begin to rise in the sky, and before they could unlock the doors, Sam and Jacob broke open the zip ties that kept them together, grabbed them both and began to throw punches. One of the men pulled out a gun, and Sam’s heart sank. He knew this was the end. His mission was over, he and Jacob were going to get shot and die. The man shot Jacob in the chest three times, and Sam twice, in the head. Everyone in the car was shocked to see that nothing came out. No blood, no pain, no hurt at all. Sam grabbed the gun and shot the two men in the chest. There was blood, screaming, and obvious hurt. Jacob threw them out the car, and Sam stepped on the pedals and figured out how to maneuver the vehicle. Using Jacob's senses, they ended up in Alaska, and it was every bit as beautiful as Sam imagined. The sky was clear and glittered with stars, and the people and their homes were warm and dimly lit. For the next hundred years, Sam explored every inch of this stunning ice heaven. He went fishing, swimming, camping, and most importantly, socialized with people of all ages. However, because he was immortal, he began to get upset that he was outliving all of his new friends. He wanted to be surrounded with his kind once again.
            So Sam and Jacob went home, and it was a much easier ride back as they had the vehicle that the men kidnapped them in. When they got back to the cave, the entire clan was in shock and awe at this heroic duo. Andrei was jealous, and demanded that Sam prove his loyalty to the clan before joining once more. Sam held a session where he spoke of his adventures, leading up to the final reveal of what he learned on this trip. He told them, "We are an immortal species! Our only major weakness is sunlight, but other than that, we CAN live our lives! See, look!" Sam grabbed the gun that was in the car and shot himself in the chest. There was no injury whatsoever, and the whole clan was fascinated and very excited, for the first time in a very long one. They realized that they should let go of their beliefs that stated that if they leave the cave they will die, so many began to explore during the nighttime and enjoy the beautiful world they have isolated themselves from for the longest time. They lived happily ever after, in an adventurous and courageous manner.