The Stars and Astro | Teen Ink

The Stars and Astro

May 20, 2015
By Catness BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Catness BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you-Dr. Seuss


It was in the early morning when Catness woke up to the sound of two others breathing.  She rose up from where she was lying and crawled over to the two bodies that were on the wooden floor.  When she got closer to the bodies she could make out the features of the two little boys that were still deep in slumber.  She smiled at them and slowly stroked the hair of the boy who had a dark blue shirt on that was slightly stained with a sticky substance.  Suddenly she heard footsteps coming towards them and instantly went into protect mode.  “Is anyone here?” a man yelled in his attic as he shone a lamp into the dark.  After a couple minutes of searching he went back to where he had came from.  “I told you there was nothing there” said a distant voice to the man that yelled.  “Yea yea whatever, let’s get back to work” he said and the room went back into darkness.

Catness waited for a couple more minutes until she turned visible and turned to where she left the others.  “Come on out now boys” she whispered to a stack of wooden boxes.  Suddenly the two boys appeared out of nowhere and crawled towards her.  She tugged them closer to her body so they could get warm.  “Kitty I’m scared” the boy on her left said as he snuggled closer next to her.  “Yes I know honey” Catness told the boy a she wrapped her midnight black wings around the both.  “Pretty wings, Kitty.  Pretty wings”  The other boy whispered underneath her arm as he started to stroke them softly.  Cat stared at the boy and then chuckled slightly under her breath.  “Thank you hon” she whispered to him as he continued to stroke her wings. 
“Will me and Astro have wings like you?” the boy said as he craned his neck to look at Catness.  “It’s Astro and I honey, and yes you both will but they still are growing” Cat told them both as she looked out a crack that showed the outside world.  She saw an old man putting out fresh baked muffins and looked down at the two little boys that were depending on her only.  She checked how much money they had in the small leather money pouch she received from a very old friend.  She counted out how much she would need for two muffins.  She had enough for two of them but they would have to be the small ones that were being sold.  She looked at the older one of the two and said “Ash you watch your little brother while I am out.  You remember what to do if you hear something right?”. The little boy nodded his head yes and replied “Take Astro and hide somewhere where they can’t get to us right sis?”.  She smiled at both of them, patted their heads in goodbye, and climbed out a small hole that was on the side of the wall to the brightness of a new day.
When Catness got out of the hole, off the roof, and onto the ground she pulled the hood of her black cloak over her head to hide her face.  She walked to where the old man was and started to pull out her money.  When she pulled her pouch out and looked up she saw that the old man was being stolen from two soldiers and that one of them was holding a musket at him, towards his chest.  She sighed and kept walking towards the two men and the older one.  “What are you two doing to this poor old man, if I may ask?” Catness asked as she stood to the side of the cart.  Both of the soldiers whipped their heads towards her and glared at her.  “It doesn't matter to you scum” one of them said as he took a step towards her. “You really shouldn't do that, sir” she stated as she looked at the old man.  “Are you OK?” she asked him, completely ignoring the other two.  He skin was pale white, just like his hair and slowly nodded yes to Catness.  “Good” she replied to his nod and returned her gaze at the two solders.  The one solder that was pointing the musket at the man turned it to Catness.  She giggled and reached up to pull her hood down.  “You just made a bad mistake” She stated and looked over to the older man.  “Can I trust you sir?” she asked in a soft tone towards the old man.  He nodded, dazed, and whispered “Yes”.  “Good.  Keep an eye on this will you” she said to him as she gave him the money pouch and returned her gaze on the solders.
“You're going to regret what you have done scum” said the soldier with out his musket.  Catness smirked at them and turned slightly back, away from them “I am not scum”.  One minutes everything was dead quiet, even the noise of the crowd disappeared, then the next minute everything broke loose.  All that anyone could see was a blur of Catness dark cloak and the three bright colors of the men’s clothes.  When everything calmed down, Catness stood on her two feet and looked down at the two men that were on the ground in pain.  She didn't have any scratch or anything.  The only thing that told she did a lot was her heaving breathing and some sweat on her face.  The two men laid on the ground for a couple more minutes before they got up, clumsy, and walked away.
Catness watched them until they were out of sight and looked over at the old man.  “May I have my Money pouch sir?” she asked as she reached out her hands to take the pouch.  He jumped, from being startled, and gave her the pouch without another word to her.  “Now that’s all done I would like to buy something from you, if I may” she said as she began to point to the two smallest muffins he had on his cart.  He looked at where she was pointing and said something that even surprised Catness.  “I don’t think you deserve these two.  I think theses are what you deserve” he said to her as he gestured to the two largest muffins on his cart.  She smiled at him but said “Sir I can not afford to buy theses ones, I’m afraid” and started to back away from the cart.  “I know that miss, but I am giving theses two for you” he said as he picked them up, walked around the cart, and gave them to Catness.
Catness took them but didn't know what to say to him.  When she opened her mouth to say a thank you her waved his hand to stop her from talking.  “It’s the least I could do for you, miss” he said and went back to his cart were a lady with a beige dress was waiting.  Catness watched him for a couple more minutes until she finally moved from where she was and towards the ones she left behind.
When she got on the roof and outside the hole she knocked inside the room three times, waited for 10 counts and knocked again once.  When she was done she slowly went inside the room and was instantly surrounded by the two little ones she loved very much.  “Hey, hey careful you two I might drop your breakfast” she said to them in a hushed tone as she walked to the area they have been sleeping for the past couple days.  She waited for them to sit down before she gave them their muffins and sat down on the cold hard ground.  Ash took his muffin and bit into it smiling at Catness with a full mouth.  Catness smiled a little bit at his childishness but said to him that it was not polite to show people chewed up food.  Ash giggled but did what  he was told and closed his mouth.  She then turned to Astro and gave him his muffin. “Muffin Kitty, muffin!”  Astro said as he slowly bit into the slightly warm muffin.  “Yes honey, that’s a muffin” Catness said as she watched her two little brothers eat. 
She listened to the noise of the crowd below them and listened to some of the conversations with her sonic hearing.  “Did you see that girl take on those two soldiers?” said a man in a hushed tone to another person.  “Yea she fought so fast it was just a blur” the other said as he whispered to him also.  Catness smiled to herself and looked down at the two boys as they finished the last of their muffins.  Before they finished the last couple bites they stopped and looked at Catness.  “Kitty...where's your muffin?”  They asked in unison.  She was quiet for a couple minutes but then said that she already ate hers.  They stared at her for a little bit longer before they went back to their muffins.  Catness was about to tell them to get ready to leave and pack their things when she heard a scream from the crowd below them.  “We are looking for the girl who fought the two soldiers, she is wanted dead or alive, alive is preferred” a man’s voice yelled to the crowd.  Catness looked at her two brothers and told them in a whisper to pack their things, they had to leave right away.
While the boys got their things packed away Catness rolled up the thin blankets up and stored them into her handmade pack made for her by her father.  She slowed her movements from remembering her father until she hear a bang, which drew her from her thoughts.  “Search the house, top to bottom” she heard from below.  She turned to her brothers to see if they were ready.  Catness saw that they were ready and were wanting to see what Catness had to say.  she told the boys to be quiet and follow her closely before she looked at the hole that lead to the outside.  She made her way towards the hole and leaned against it to look outside to the ground below.  She saw a bunch of soldiers waiting around and she made a quick decision.  She looked to her two brothers and whispered to them what they were going to do.  They both took each other’s hand and slowly disappeared from sight.  Catness went out the hole and boosted up the two invisible boys onto the top of the roof and waited for the soldiers to come.
She didn't have to wait long until a crowed was in the small attic in the room.  “Surrender or die, scum” a general said to her as the other men got their muskets ready.  “Again with the word scum” she said as she stepped backward until she was out of the hole and was in the the daylight.  The men started to say something until she too disappeared from sight.  “Where did she go?”  one of the men said as she climbed up the side of the house onto the roof.  She smiled to herself and turned to look for her brothers.  Her smile suddenly dropped when she saw her two brothers surrounded by men in white, who looked exactly the same as one another, scars included. 
She growled unhappily as they parted to make way for the person she hated the most in the world.  “Hello Catness, it’s so good to see you again” the man said as he continued to walk closer to her.  “Jonathan, I wish to have my little brothers back” Catness said in a straining voice as she fought to keep it together.  He slowly laughed as he looked into Catness eye and said “sorry, I can’t do that, not until I've said hello and got to know them” and spun around.  Catness was about to attack him when something hit her in the back of her head, which made her fall to the ground into darkness.  The last thing she heard before everything went dark was her brothers yelling her name.
When Catness woke up she didn't feel or sense anyone around her.  She tried to get up but something was holding her down and in place.  She tried several times to free herself from whatever was holding her down and preventing her to move around.  She suddenly heard a rustling near her and patted next to her side as far as she could reach.  On her left side there was nothing but when she tried the other side she found something warm and small.  “Kitty?” a small whisper said in the darkness and made Catness have some hope.

“Ash! It you honey” Catness exclaimed and struggled to get closer to him.  “Kitty...where are we?” Ash asked quietly as Catness tried to get closer to him.  “I..I don’t know” Catness said slowly as she still struggled to get closer to him.  Suddenly a blinding light came in front of them which made Catness shut her eyes in pain.  A silhouette of a figure blocked the bright light as the figure came closer to the two.  “Hello Catness.  It’s so good to see you again after such a long time” a male voice stated as he continues to come closer to Catness and Ash.  Catness strained her eyes to see who the figure was and how he knew her name.  As the man got closer did Catness saw who it was and instantly snarl at him.  “Catness don’t be like that, even all that we've been through you still don’t like me?” the man said as he stopped in front of them.  “You know why I still hate you after all theses years Jonathan” Catness hissed at him.
Jonathan deeply sighed as he raised his arm and made a snap with his fingers.  When he did this lights all around them turned on making both Catness and Ash close their eyes again.  When they opened them they both looked up to Jonathan to see how he looked.  His hair was the same as always, light brown with highlights of gold, and his clothes were the same.  The only thing that was different was how his face looked.  His face looked tired and his eyes were sad.  Catness was confused and was about to ask him a question, when the bonds that were holding her in place suddenly disappeared.  Catness rubbed were the bonds were holding her and scooted closer to her little brother to hug him.  “Catness I...I have some bad news to tell you” Jonathan said as he started to kneel down towards the ground.  Catness stopped looking at Ash and slowly turned her head towards Jonathan.  “What do you mean by by news Jonathan?” Catness slowly said with a hiss. 
The man in front of Catness had his head down and his shoulder were slumped in what looked like to be defeat. Catness was breathing heavy for all the crying and yelling she had done in the past couple minutes.  Ash did not do anything but hugged Catness closer and curled more into her side.  “I’m sorry Catness, I really am.” Jonathan whispered under his breath as he shakily stood up on his legs and turned to walk away.  “Wait” Catness said in a rough and shaky voice.  Jonathan stopped dead in his tracks and turned slightly back to look at Catness.  Catness looked at him with red eyes and asked him if he could bring him to her.  Jonathan simply nodded his slowly and walked the rest of the way out of the room.  A couple hours later the door on the opposite side of the room opened to reveal a woman in a white lab coat, who was pushing a small cart with a small lump on top of it.  She stopped in front of Catness and stared at her with fear.  “Now leave” Catness commanded the lady as she painfully stood up on her feet.
She watched the woman walk away with a watchful eye and didn't move from where she stood for a couple more minutes until she finally did look at the small little lump that was on top of the cart.  She slowly reached for the white blanket that was covering the small lump.  She took a deep breath and readied herself for what might be underneath the white blanket.  She whipped her hand away from the cart along with the white blanket.  She opened her eyes and looked at what had been underneath the blanket.  She slowly picked up the body of her little baby brother with care and went back to sit with Ash.  Together they sat, curled next to each other tightly, around Astro.
Catness and Ash stayed like this for a long time before Catness moved her left hand to wipe away a strand of hair away from Astro’s face.  “What did they do to him Kitty?” Ash asked as he looked at Catness with worry.  She looked up from Astro and replied that they didn't do anything.  Ash was very confused about what she just told him.  “Then why is he dead?” Ash asked again hoping for a accurate answer from his sister.  Catness didn't say anything but instead looked towards the ceiling as she looked straight at a camera.  She looked at Ash and started to tap her nails on the floor in Morse code to Ash.  When their conversation was over they both looked at each other before they nodded their head in agreement.  Catness slowly bent her head down towards Astro’s ear and whispered unknown words that only she and the dead body of her little brother would know.  As soon as she was done saying the words in Astro's ear his body started to disintegrate into blue particles and then disappearing altogether.  “By my baby, until we meet again” Catness whispered as she and Ash too disappeared from sight. 
Thirty-six years later.....It was a busy day in New York City when Catness and her family of five arrived in New York’s square.  Catness looked around to see where they could go for lunch but stopped suddenly from her search and looked at a group of kids that were standing outside a clothing store.  Ash noticed his sister staring at a certain group of kids and wondered why she was staring at them.  “Catness what’s the matter?” he asked as he walked around her to be able to see her face.  When he finally saw her face he saw that she was smiling and her eyes were full of a mixture of joy and happiness.  He raised his eyebrows in question to her and she in returned told him something that he thought he would never hear in his lifetime.  “Astro is alive, and he is very happy where he is” and with that Catness began to walk towards the little group of children.    
 
 


The author's comments:

After I read the Maximum Ride series i had this idea of making this character