Soaring Heart | Teen Ink

Soaring Heart

By MagicWriter666 SILVER, Cresco, Iowa
MagicWriter666 SILVER, Cresco, Iowa

It is not the pen that is mightier than the sword, it is the heart.

I was jumping along the tops of buildings when I first laid eyes on her. My heart skipped a beat and I couldn't move despite being chased by the local law enforcers. I stood behind the corner, hiding from the man when I noticed her, humming as she watered the beautiful flowers on her iron framed balcony.
She was the most beautifully built thing I've ever seen. Nothing could compare to her, not even the glorious floating city on which I stood upon. Her face was slender and a beautiful shade. Her hair was like the darkest embers and eyes the brightest of jewels. I could tell she was a wealthy woman by the way she dressed and moved. But her riches didn't matter to me. She was the most vibrant little trinket I ever laid my sights on. She just had to be mine.
I hopped along the building tops, almost losing my balance and falling thousands of feet. My mind didn't even process how high I was in the sky. I felt even higher like I was touching the stars. I was getting closer to her, jumping over the gaps. She didn't notice me when I was on the building flying across from her. I was maybe ten– twenty feet away with nothing between us but the earth down below. I would surely die if I didn't make it, but I didn't care; I jumped.
I almost made it, my hand barely touching the garden of her home. I heard a shriek and something grabbed the wrist of my hand. The woman I had loved so dear so quickly was leaning over the balcony, holding me so I wouldn't fall. I couldn't help by grin. Her face looks so unique with that terrified stare pointed at me.
She pulled me up and slapped my face as I stood outside the balcony. She asked how insane I was. She was scared for me. My heart felt so light right now. It joined me, lost in the gorgeous maiden's eyes.
Bells broke me from my trance. Quickly honesty fell from my lips, asking her if I could hide in her home. The police bells rang closer and closer as she decided. She yanked me over the balcony and pushed me inside. The glass balcony doors clicked shut and I was in awe by her abode.
So many trinkets I never thought I'd see: a glistening grand piano, bookshelves littered with the finest literature, flowers of many countries hanging out of their pots, and the most strangest of activities. She had a spinning wheel, paints, woodworking, and chest filled with tiny toys and beads. I looked at her and wondered if such a small woman like her could do all these things.
She laughs at me, showing me a book of pictures that proved she could. She was such an enthusiastic woman that I couldn't believe her. She asked for my name and I realized I didn't know hers either. This was probably the only time I'd be seeing her unless...
"Promise me, we'll meet again and I'll tell you later." The words just came out of my mouth. I could have told her now, but then I wouldn't know if she'd meet with me. If she really wanted to know, she'd see me again.
The most glorious woman smiled at me, taking my hands, and said yes.
I was the happiest man in the world. I decided to forget the meeting and tell her now. But before the words could escape my lips, I was grabbed by the neck and pulled from my beloved. I saw her face terrorized as two armors hands wrapped around her small waist and trapped her. I was lifted in the air, trying to pry the metal-gloved hand off my neck so I may breath.
I was turned to see the most ugliest of faces: The Sheriff. His teeth were crooked, chipped, cracked, or completely gone. His skin was pasty and looked to be peeling off. Shrouds of black cloaked me in shadows under a darkened hat. Down the arm that held me captive was metal armory along with the clicking and steaming of an artificial limb. 
The man had never liked me and I have never liked him. We were mortal enemies and there was nothing to change that, not even the screaming of the world's most beautiful woman who was in the room. The Sheriff took my head and slid it across the table, knocking all that belonged to the woman to the floor. He threw me aside to the balcony door.
The thud of when I hit it echoed in my mind behind her screams. I had only known her a short time, but the sound already haunted me. A woman like her should never have to scream in fear. She was too kind, too talented to have to do such a thing.
I was grabbed again, this time from my shirt, and the balcony door was kicked open. I wanted to scream but held my tongue as my eyes widened. No, it couldn't be happening. My unnamed beloved screamed as we both knew what was happening. I couldn't leave her. Such a beautiful nameless flower and I didn't know who she was.
I tried to run, but I was once again lifted from the ground. The flowers of my love's garden started to wilt noticeably as the Sheriff raised me higher by the back of my coat. The wind blew harshly in my ears. Tears were falling from my beloved's face. She shouldn't have cried. We had just met and I probably meant nothing to her, but seeing her there, displaying feelings for me. My heart, which was just singing in the stars, was now sinking faster than I was falling.

MagicWriter666 SILVER, Cresco, Iowa

Thank you This is actually a prologue for a book I'm working on.

Athena19 SILVER, Central Point, Oregon

'Love people. Cook them tasty food.' -Penzey's Spices

This was really creative! I liked how quickly you created sympathy for the protagonist. I was pulling for him from the beginning