The Myth Untold | Teen Ink

The Myth Untold

May 14, 2015
By Anonymous

During the dark age the lord's forces had been working on a project to win the war that would enslave all unloyal followers. While the dark force was creating its massive army the rebellion had been working on a project. This project was to create a serum that gave the brain the ability to make decisions for itself not just based on instinct. This was not for humans... But for horses. Scientists at the large laboratories full of elixirs and other remedies were working on this miracle. They held many test subjects in the labs and many had died of hyperactive cell reproduction leading to tumors and internal bleeding.


The scientists thought they had made a breakthrough and the word spread that they might have done it. But they unknowingly brought upon their own doom. The dark lord found out about this miracle serum and sent his army out to destroy it. The dark force took the rebellion by surprise in a rush the helpless village guards assembled a militia but untrained and light armored they were trampled. The dark army continued to march crushing village after village until they reached the palace. Once there, the rebellion fired flaming arrows upon the dark army. But the advancing enemies motive was to great. They wanted nothing more than to please their lord. Even if that meant death. The rebellion sent word to evacuate the palace sending everyone out the south gate. The dark army rushed even more to ensure no survivors. When the army breached the gate they trampled the guards and charged the defending army was crushed but they continued to fight until they were cut to pieces. All was lost, even the serum. The army marched back to report the news of their victory leaving out the fact that there were survivors. The dark lord began setting out his new order. The beginning of a new era. He ruled for 50 years, 50 years of total control. What he didn't know was that a young physician named Gaius had been working on this serum after his father died and passed it on to him.


"Come on this is it. I know it is. One last drop." Gaius pleaded.


Poof... A cloud of smoke filled the room. Once it cleared he injected it into a small rabbit. Once the rabbit was injected it just stood there and hopped forward then again. It stopped at the edge of the table and turned towards Gaius and hopped forward. It saw a small ladder that Gaius had created it had a small house at the top. The rabbit began climbing the ladder, but about mid way up it the rabbits head began to swell and it dropped to the bottom flopping in every direction until it suddenly stopped. It was dead.


"No! That can't be it I had it just right. Everything was balanced. I calibrated every dosage."
"Hey Mr. Malcolm." Shouted his neighbor, Arthur.
Gaius turned and looked through the open windows and shouted back
"Hello Arthur."
Once he left I quickly closed the window knowing that if the dark army passed through here he wouldn'astonishmeit seen.
As he predicted the dark army came marching down the street within the hour posting the new laws and surveying the village. He was however unaware that today was a special occasion where the guards check the peasants houses. When the guards knocked on the door Gaius immediately dumped all the equipment under a secret spot under the floorboards. He quickly arose and ran to the door. The guards slammed a piece of paper to his chest and barged in inspecting every last inch of the house. He being young and foolish forgot to put away his alchemy guide. He was arrested and taken to the dark lords palace. He was loaded up into a wagon with metal bars for walls and was off to the lords palace.
"Mr. Malcolm?" Arthur cried
"Take care of the animals for me Arthur."


He stood there, nodded and turned away walking off back to our hrubbingI turned back to face the guard in my portable cell and he took the butt of his Axe and hit me in the head knocking me unconscious. When I awoke I was being dragged off into the castle of the dark lord. I closed my eyes for what seemed a lifetime of being dragged through this labyrinth. Once I opened my eyes again I was in a giant room with large pillars supporting the black ceiling. I felt the rough rug rubbing against me as I looked up my eyes were caught by a large dark figure sitting in a gold chair with a silver crown upon his head. He stood up and asked. "What was the purpose of hiding this in your house?" The lord questioned.


"I... I...I was practicing... With a...uh... an old chemistry set." I replied
"Do you take me for a fool? Mr. Malcolm."
"N... No."
"Then why do you lie to me?"
"Wha... What do you mean?"
"We know you have been working on something much larger than that. My guards found the corpse of one of your experiments one day laying out in your back yard."
My face was completely red for I knew I could no longer lie to this lord. I had to make something up and quick.
"I... I was testing to cure rabbits of alzheimer's disease"


"Is that why the specimens brain seemed to be completely mutated and bloated? No. We know there's more to it. Guards! Send a party to search this mans house. Tear it down if you have to, just find any trace of the rest of the chemistry "set"."


Send him off to the dungeon. He should receive minimal food and water until he confesses. I was forcefully dragged down the concrete stairs bruising my back and then tossed into an uncomfortable cell. As expected I got the slimmest amount of food possible. I was being starved, I could barely walk after the lack of food. But to make it worst the guards took me out of my cell every day and quartered me then lashed out with whips scaring my skin. I couldn't bare it. But if I confessed I would be killed for "witchcraft". So I tried to survive as long as possible but it just didn't seem to help. It would continue until I confessed.


" Open up the cage." Said a guard. I straightened up and he took the butt of his ax and knocked me unconscious. When I awoke there was a large man standing looking down on me. He reached down with one hand and picked me up. I kept going up until a sudden jolt and his hand stopped moving I looked down to see that he was chained. I looked back at him only to notice that he had the tattoo of the rebellion of his shoulder. Knowing this I asked.

"You were a rebel. Didn't you fight against these people?"


"Yes. Many years ago but they kept me as their prize. Such a large beast said the man."
"Why can't you break through the chains?" I asked
He looked towards the guards and whispered "I can."
I looked up at him with astonishment. "Then why don't you?"
"Hahaha, see if I try to escape I would be killed on the spot."
"But what could kill you?"
"That."
He pointed over to a large crossbow aimed at the cell with a giant arrow loaded into it.
"Oh, that might do it."
"Haha, you're right about that."
"So how do we get out of here?"
"Oh i've asked myself that question many times but I honestly don't know."
"So why did they put me in this cell with you in the first place?"
"They hoped that I would torture the information out of you."
I swallowed hard and then asked "Are you still planning on..."
"No, no. I haven't met anyone who has had such interest in the rebellion."
"So I'm not going to get killed. Well not by you anyways. But by the time the guards get back from searching my home I might be killed then."
"Well then we're on a clock." He said
"What do you mean?" I asked
"Were going to find a way out of here."
"But how? You saw the giant crossbow."
"Not only have I seen it but I have felt its wrath."
He rolled up his sleeve and showed me a large triangular scar in his shoulder.
"Went right through this shoulder."
"Then you must know there is no escape."
"Look if we don't escape your going to be executed." He said
"Alright we're going to have to do this with some level of stealth. If we barge out through those gates then we will surely be killed." I replied
"Alright we will take turns. Tunneling?" He asked.
"Yes but how should we manage to hide this, tunnel?"
"See that barrell over there. Just slide that in front of it."
"While one of us digs, the other will stand guard."
"OK, how will we split up the shifts?"
"Midday and midnight. That way both of us shall work evenly daylight and darkness."
As I began to chip away at the concrete I realized how easily it could be broken apart by wetting it. Daily we would ask for extra water. The moisture that had been trapped down here for so long has rotted the strength out of the walls.
I was chipping away a large square where we could exit.


The size of my companion made the task of digging out an escape route. But he also could dig more out in shorter period of time. So it was going well until the guards decided to make the monthly cell check. As the guards approached I looked nervous but my giant friend did not. He casually was laying on the escape hole and just watched as they carefully examined the cell. They asked him to get up. This is when I got really nervous. He stood up and they checked. Nothing. The wall was fitted back together... But how? Later once they had left I was about to ask what happened when he removed a wooden slab that was in front of the hole it was painted to look like the cell wall.


"Let's continue." He said


We continued digging one watching on digging and vice versa. On the glorious day that we got a hole large enough to escape from we waited until dark. Once the guard passed our cell we moved the board and climbed down through the shaft and out around until we reached the hatch.


I grabbed hold of it only for the giant to lift me and grab a hold of it himself. He jerked it off its hinges and crawled out.
"You know after all this time of working with you I never got your name." I said
"John, John Goliath."
"Rightfully so." I said
"I haven't been called that since the war."
"Oh."
"After that I was locked up and never had anyone to talk to."
"Well you'll have plenty of people to talk to once we reform the rebellion."