Lottery Ticket | Teen Ink

Lottery Ticket

April 10, 2015
By Anonymous

For a year, I’ve been staring at plain, concrete walls. The cracks, the rust, I could be blind and still see what these basement walls looked like. My lion’s tail tapped the wall of the corner I was sitting in. It was the only part of my body that can move freely without hurting my lion ears with the sound of chains clanking against each other. I heard the door creak open and I heaved a sigh.
“My Queen,” My captor sang as he approached me. In his hands was a tray of food, my dinner that he would have to throw out. He looked down at my mostly untouched lunch and frowned. “You barely ate. You worry me, Kitten, I don’t want you to starve.”
“Then put me out of my misery,” I snapped, baring my fangs and folding my ears against my skull.
“But then we won’t be together!”
“I don’t want us to be together!”
“Yet here we are….” He caressed my cheek.
I snapped my jaws at his hand and stood, pressing my body as close to the wall and as far away from him as I could. “Don’t touch me!”
He pulled his hand away and took a step back. “You’re as fierce as a lioness,” He admired, “Those scientists were successful in those experiments.”
“Don’t bring that up.” I flexed my fingers, my fingernails extending into claws before returning to regular fingernail length.
“Why are you being so mean to me, my Queen?” He demanded, “I saved you from them!”
“Yeah, I went from being chained up in a lab to being chained up in your basement. Quite the rescue, I feel so grateful.”
“I’m not hurting you! Those scientists cut you open and drugged you up! I’m feeding you and making sure you’re healthy and safe! I’m giving you the human contact you begged for!”
“I don’t want it from you!”
“I’m all you have!”
I hooked my fingers as my nails extended once more. I moved to claw his face but these frustrating chains held me back. My wrist stung and I hissed at the sensation of the reopening cuts, but ignored them as I continued to try and cut him. My captor watched me, amusement gleaming in those dark brown, almost black orbs for eyes. I saw my reflection in his pupils and stopped, seeing the monster that I became. I looked away, hating how feral my amber eyes stared back at me, and stopped my fruitless attempts at attack. Why do I even try to fight back anymore? It never got me anywhere. All I get is pain, and I’m sick of pain, I questioned myself.
“Why?” I demanded when I finished, “Why me? I wasn’t the only forgotten orphan in that hellhole….why did you save me out of all of them?”
“I couldn’t bear to watch you suffer...You’re strong and beautiful and I didn’t want my ex-colleagues to destroy you. I fell in love with you, Leona, from the very moment I saw you through the looking glass of your cell...why can’t you just accept that?”
“You don’t love me! I’m sitting here, chained up to a g****** wall in a g****** basement!”
“I’m not insulting you, nor am I beating you. I’m treating you well.”
My body became rigid. He’s right, I was never called anything degrading, he only gave me cute nicknames. I’ve been treated with as much respect as a person can give while chained up. He makes me feel a little bit more human.
“You’re right...Alec,” I admitted, allowing myself to utter his name. I looked at his face and watched as he gave a large grin. I smiled as well, tears welling up in my eyes. “Can you get me out of these chains?”
“You won’t run away?” Alec asked.
I shook my head.
“Alright!” He revealed a key from his breast pocket and knelt before me, unlocking the cuffs. “I’m so happy that you finally realized it, Kitten. I knew you would! I knew you felt the same!” He helped me stand, kissing my forehead.
“I’m sorry, Alec. You did so much for me..I…”
“I forgive you, my Kitten Queen.” He picked me up bridal style, and carried me up the stairs. “Now, let’s patch you up and have some dinner.”
I nodded in agreement. I couldn’t believe that a year ago, I would tell him that he would have a better chance of buying the winning lottery ticket rather than have me fall in love with him...now, I realized everything. Alec is attractive, he could have chosen any woman...but he chose me. I hid my face in the crook of his neck and purred, nuzzling my nose against his warm skin.
“I love you, Leona,” Alec whispered to me, and for once, I felt safe and normal.