The Beginning of Ghosts: Good and Evil | Teen Ink

The Beginning of Ghosts: Good and Evil

By Flying-Squirrel BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin
Flying-Squirrel BRONZE, Amery, Wisconsin

The darkness slowly fades away and I can now see again.  Something doesn’t feel right…Something has been shaken in my spirit.  I look around and see that I am in an empty alleyway, lying in a pool of red.  I have watched the humans for a long while, hovering over them and overseeing, but never have I inherited one of their bodies.  This is the strangest sensation.  I feel a twitch so I look in the direction of the movement and see my own hand.  I don’t know how, but I can somehow control it.  I slowly prop myself up on one arm and look around, my hand splashing in the murky pool of red.  It is very gloomy in the alleyway and there seems to be no one around.  I wonder what I am doing here and why I am in this strange place and strange body.  I look down at myself and see that there is a red sticky stain on my white t-shirt.  I think the humans call it blood.  I have some knowledge about what the humans do and say because I have been watching over them for such a long time.  I never knew what it would be like to be in human form, there is a lot that I need to learn. I get my legs underneath me and I stand.  The only way to learn how to be a human is to surround yourself with them.
I start to walk towards what I think is the exit but find that it splits into two different directions.  I look one way, then look the other.  I decide to go right, it seems to draw me in that direction.  As I step out into the open air, I don’t realize my surroundings and I step into the middle of a bustling street.  As you probably know, that isn’t a very good idea.  I hear a sound to my left and turn towards the noise, seeing headlights coming straight at me.  In that moment, I feel something strange, something in the pit of my stomach that makes me feel very uncomfortable.  A word whispers in my head that makes the hair on my arms stick up.  Fear, it rattles like a snake in my mind, whispering like the wind on a quiet day.  My vision dulls and I feel a splitting sensation in my mind.  I sink to the ground and rip at my hair, kneeling in the middle of the street.  Another word picks at my mind hissing evilly.  Pain.  It seems like anytime I feel something, my vision starts to fade. 
“Come on, let’s get you out of the street hon.”
I look up in pain to see a young woman.  She has long dark curls with a round face and freckles.  Now that I am off the road, I realize that I was afraid.  It was…a feeling?
“Are you alright?!  Oh my gosh look at your clothes!  Why do they have blood on them?!” she asks, putting her hands on her cheeks.
I don’t know how to respond so all I say is; “I don’t know,” shaking my head, looking at the ground.
She stares at me and I stare back at her.  Her eyes are a beautiful shade of brown, like the eyes of a doe.  “Do you need any help?” she asks politely.
“Yeah, I would like that,” I say, nodding my head.
“Okay, are you hungry?” she questions, raising her eyebrows.
“Hungry?” I respond, “What does that mean?” I say, confused.
“Seriously, are you sure that you are okay?” she asks, drawing her eyebrows together in a confused manner.
“No, I don’t think I’m okay.  I don’t know why I am here or what I am doing,” I say dully.
“Why don’t I take you to my apartment and get you cleaned up.  Then you can explain what you are doing here and maybe get some sleep.  Hopefully you will feel better and it will all come back to you,” she says lightly.
We walk for a while, but it doesn’t take long to get to the stairs that lead to her apartment.  She quickly leads me to her room and opens the door. 
“I will grab you a new shirt and a rag to get you all cleaned up,” she says, looking to the bathroom.
Her apartment is small but very tidy.  It is furnished nicely and has a good smell to it.  “Here we are.  May I ask what your name is?” she says, looking into my eyes.
I ponder the idea and quite honestly, she’s made it clear to me that I have no idea about anything what-so-ever.  “What’s yours?” I ask awkwardly.
“My name is Katrina,” she responds quietly.
“Well Katrina, this may sound very strange, but I am going to tell you everything that I remember happening.”  I go into detail about everything that has happened, and it turns out it’s a pretty short story to tell. 
“So basically that is it, and I have no idea who I am, what I am doing here, or what I am supposed to be doing,” I say in a bland tone.
“So you are saying that you just randomly woke up in a puddle of blood, and was like yeah this is normal, now I’m going to just wander out into the middle of the street?!  Are you crazy or on drugs or something?” she asks loudly.
“To be honest Katrina, I don’t even know what those things are, but quite frankly no I don’t think I am.  I’m telling you Katrina, I am not a human…I am a spirit of some kind.  I have always watched over humans, but I have never been one.” 
“Okay…I have a hard time believing that.  Ugh, I don’t like that you don’t have a name.  I am going to give you one for now.  Your name is…Will.  Just for now, until we figure out who you actually are and where you’re supposed to be.  Here, clean up a bit, then we will take you to the police department to get you all straightened out,” she says happily.
I look at Katrina for a long while, starting to feel something in my chest.  It is another feeling that I have never felt before.  I feel my head starting to spin so I focus hard on the table and the spinning goes away.  Katrina sets the shirt in my hands, so I go into the washroom to clean up.  When I come out, Katrina is looking out the window quietly.  I lightly clear my throat to get her attention but she starts talking before I can say anything to her.
“Hey Will, I was thinking…maybe it is a little soon to take you to the police department.  Would you like to go get something to eat first and then we can go?” she asks, fixing her hair.
“Sure, I don’t see why not,” I respond with a smile.  I am glad that Katrina found me.  What if it would have been someone else?  I wonder if they would have just let me get run over.
“Will?  I was wondering…I was looking at your t-shirt, and it looks like there is one hole right by where your heart should be.  You don’t think that you could have been um, shot do you?” 
“I don’t really know Katrina, I…that would make sense.  We can bring the shirt with us to the police department, just in case they need it.  But for now, let’s go get some food.” 
We walk out her door and down the hallway of the apartment to the outside sidewalk.  Katrina puts her hair up in a ponytail and looks over at me to smile.  She is radiant.  My head is starting to get that feeling again, so I squint my eyes together in pain.  Why does that keep happening?
“Are you okay Will?  Do we need to go to the hospital or something?” she asks as she lightly touches my arm.
“No, I think it is just when I feel a certain way that I haven’t felt before.  I get a very painful feeling in my head…I’m not sure why.” 
“Hmm, that is really weird.  Are you okay now?”
“Yeah, I think so.  So Katrina, what do you like to do?” I ask, standing up a little straighter.  As we walk and talk, time slips away until we finally reach our destination. 
“Welcome to Los Tacos I hope you like Mexican food!”
“I don’t know,” I say with a chuckle, “I’ve never tried it before.”  I open the door for her and she gets us a table for two.  As we sit down, Katrina starts to talk about what happened to me again. 
“So, just brainstorming here, but what are possible ways that you wouldn’t remember anything that happened to you?  I mean you are an attractive guy and you don’t seem like you’d get into a lot of trouble.”  She blushes after she notices what she said, but covers it by continuing to talk.  “Maybe you were at a fancy party and somebody laced your drink to steal from you, but somehow, you ended up getting shot in an alleyway!”
“You have a very wild imagination Katrina, but does that happen a lot?  It sounds quite strange to me!” I say, raising my eyebrows.
She laughs at my not so funny joke, so I laugh along with her.  It’s a good sensation until the splitting headache comes again.  Laughing must be the side effect of another emotion.  The word seems to chuckle, as it says happiness.  I grit my teeth and put my head down on the table, grimacing. 
“Will!  Are you okay?!” she says, with a panicked look on her face.
“I’m fine”, I groan out slowly.  “I just need a minute.”  Katrina slowly sits back in her chair, looking nervously at me.  After a while, I finally sit up and look into Katrina’s eyes.
“Did that happen because you felt another emotion Will?” Katrina asks, picking at her food.
“I think so…it said happiness.” 
“It?  What is it?” she asks, stuffing a taco in her mouth.  “But really…that is so weird.  I guess it makes sense, we were just laughing weren’t we.”
“It, is like a sighing sound…like someone talking from far away.  The first emotion I felt it whispered to me, like it was trying to teach me the feeling.  The word was fear, the second word was pain, and the third was happiness.  I have never felt anything before, all I’ve done is watch over people, not become one.” 
“I’m pretty sure that you’re crazy Will.  We will get you checked soon.  You almost ready to go?” she asks, putting her napkin down. 
“Yeah, I am ready to go I guess.”  Katrina hails a taxi and a man with an Indian accent and a head wrap stops on the curb for us.
“Where are you two headed off to?” he asks with a smile.
“We are going to the police station,” she replies.
“Is there an emergency?” he asks urgently.
“Oh no!  Don’t worry, we just want to go ask them some questions.”
“Alright, I will get you there in a jiffy!”
“Thank you!” she says with a grin.  When we get to the police station, for some reason I start to feel my vision blurring again and I grab Katrina’s arm, bracing myself.
“Katrina, it’s happening again.”  The pain isn’t as bad as last time, but it still hurts.  You’re nervous, is what my brain tells me.  It must be another feeling of some sort.
“Are you okay now Will?” she inquires, crossing her arms.
“I think I’m okay.  Let’s go find out what is up with me.”  We walk into the police station and Katrina talks to the desk receptionist.  The receptionist gives her a confused look but continues to write down what Katrina is saying to her.  Eventually after a long description and some funny looks, we get to talk to one of their detectives that isn’t on a case at the moment. 
“So, Katrina will you first tell me everything that has happened to you so far, since you met him.  It’s Will right?” he asks, gesturing in my direction and looking to me.
“That isn’t entirely correct sir…I actually don’t know what my real name is.  Will is just the name that Katrina gave to me when she found me.” 
“Yes,” Katrina says.  “He is right.  He didn’t know his name so I just gave him a name to go by so I could talk to him.”
“I see,” said the detective slowly.  “So what exactly happened, if I may ask Will?”
“Yes detective.  The first thing that I saw when I woke up was a dark alleyway, and there was a pool of blood all around me and on my clothing.”  Katrina pulls the t-shirt out of her purse and hands it to the detective. 
“Katrina pointed out that when she found me, it looked like my shirt had a hole right where my heart is.  She thought that maybe I was murdered.  Just to expand on the subject, I originally am not a human, I come from a sort of spirit land and watch over the human population.”  The detective stares at me with a blank stare after I finish explaining. 
“I, uh, I really don’t know what to say to you Will.  Are you sure that you are stable in the head?  It seems like a very strange story and a very unlikely thing to happen…maybe we should get you a mental health check, just to make sure that you are okay?  Does that sound alright to you?” he asks, spreading his hands out in front of him.
“I guess so…that is kind of rude because I am telling the truth.”  The detective shakes his head and takes me into a room to take a mental health test, just to see if I am crazy after all.  After a long while, the detective finally gets back to me, saying that the test results are in.  He takes me into a room with Katrina and explains my results.
“I am sorry to say Will, but your results came back negative.  You aren’t mentally stable in your health.  I feel terrible saying this, but I have to put you into a mental health cell.  Until we can figure out who you are and investigate the possibly of a homicide, you will have to stay here.  We think that because of the shirt you gave us, it leads to the thought that you may have been murdered by someone.  The only problem is, you’re still alive.  We sent in a blood sample from your shirt to get tested and with any luck, we can find out who you are.  We hope the details could maybe give us an answer to who “killed” you, and how you apparently “inhabited” this body.  It all seems a little extraterrestrial and something I’ve never seen before, but we will try our best to figure out this very strange predicament.” 
“Sir, I don’t understand how you can do this!  I need to find my emotions and find who killed this person, the person whose body I have inherited!  I need to get back to my normal self, you cannot do this to me!” I shout as I lunge towards him and try to grab at his shirt.  The angry side of me has come out.  I scream at the top of my lungs and go into a whirlwind of emotion.  Anger, anger boils within me and my brain whispers to me with random noises that are unknown to all…a sound that only evil could create.
The detective calls in back up and gets Katrina out of there before I can hurt anyone.  It’s strange…it’s like some sort of evil settled over me, like a different kind of spirit took ahold of my soul…feeding off my rage.  Three big police officers grab me and put handcuffs around my wrists.  My skin is hot against the cold metal of the cuffs.  They are too tight, like a python squeezing its prey.  The officers bring me to my mental facility cell and I am not happy about it.  I sit angrily in the corner of the small cell for hours, trying to calm my enigmatic anger, but it never seems to leave me entirely.  No one comes to talk to me or explain anything for hours, I can feel myself starting to go mad.  Sinking deeper into a pit of darkness, feeling it slowly seep into my soul.  It makes my blood run cold…maybe I am mental after all.
One year passes…
I am still in this cell and it seems as if everyone has forgotten about me.  The only person that I ever see now is the man that brings me my meal each day.  Maybe secretly they are watching me, still trying to figure out what is wrong with me.  I have gone crazy.  I feel like all my hope has been lost and I will never get back to my original form.
After another week of sitting in my cell, the schedule changes.  As I expect the man to be bringing my food in a minute, I am surprised to see Katrina, standing outside my cell.  I thought that she had dumped me here, forgotten about me, left me to rot here in this hospital.  I look up at her with no feeling in my eyes for I feel no human deserves it, the way they treat me here.
“Hello, it has been a while, hasn’t it Katrina.” I say, poison dripping off my words.  She looks at me nervously and says; “Hey, I just wanted to come here to give you some answers…they haven’t let me come in here to talk to you!  I figured they haven’t told you anything?” she looks scared and very afraid, turning away from me.
“No, they haven’t.” I say in a stone cold voice.
“Yes, that’s what I assumed.  I forced the detective to continue the search as to what happened to you.  Your real human body’s name was Kyle, I thought you’d like to know.  You were murdered by a man by the name of Bruce Wedner and he killed you with a pistol.  We went and found the crime scene, investigated and found prints that led us to finding Wedner and questioning him about why he killed you.  He said he was looking to take your wallet and your wristwatch.  He is just a common thug, looking for a quick bank.  Somehow, and this is what we think…your, spirit, came to him and entered his body through the bullet hole.  It was an entrance into his body.  They have never seen a case like this before.  I think you possessed this dead man’s body and brought him back to life.  Do you want to get out of this man’s body or did you do it on purpose?” she asks, looking at me angrily.
“I don’t see how getting out is a possibility Katrina.  I have to experience the emotions still, I don’t know how many but obviously I don’t know them yet because I am still here!  But yes, I would love to get out of this rotten cell and get out of this place!” I yell angrily at her. Grabbing the bars I stare into her eyes, making it seem like I am looking into her soul.  I smile at her with malice and breathe heavily.
She jumps back and tries to keep her voice steady.  “Will,” her voice quivers.  “The only thing I propose we could do, is bring in a priest to try and perform an exorcism.  It is the only possible way I would think your spirit could be expelled and you can be set free.”
“I guess you could try it Katrina, but an exorcism seems quite…evil.  You don’t think I’m evil, do you?” I say with a malicious, taunting grin.
“No Will, I just, it is the only way I could think of to get you out of the body…I don’t want you to suffer anymore.”
“Do it,” I spit at her, pushing angrily off the bars.  I go sit back in my corner and stare into the now empty hallway.
Katrina brings in the priest to perform the exorcism.  He starts to chant in a low gravelly voice;
“I exorcise you, most unclean spirit! All spirits! Every one of you! In the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ, be uprooted and expelled from this Creature of God!"
As he says the words I feel my body start to convulse in wretched movements and my vision starts to pulse.  I can feel myself being lifted from the body in a painful, vile way, it feels good.  I am finally free from my human bonds.  Kyle’s lifeless body now free of my occupying spirit, slumps slowly against the bars of the cell.  It was strange, being in human form.  I prefer being spirit.  As I take one more look at my surroundings I see Katrina flung onto the cell bars crying out for me to come back.  I didn’t know that she cared so much for me, maybe I should rethink my departure.  As I turn from Katrina, I slowly float away and I feel one last emotion.  Sadness.  With a sinking heart, I thought about what could have been a lifetime with someone that cared for me.  A lifetime of emotion and feeling…I should have never left.  Katrina was the best thing that ever happened to me.  She had the exorcism performed…she did it.  It is her fault!  She did this to me!  It makes me angry so I decide to do something about it.
I now am an angry spirit that wreaks havoc among the humans of earth.  Performing cruel and evil things, taking over other people’s bodies for fun.  I am training myself, learning how to enter and withdraw from the host without needing an exorcism.  I am the work of the devil and I am just the beginning…there will be more of me to follow, doing the same things or worse, causing suffering and making people’s lives wretched.  I am the beginning of the ghosts, the good and the evil.

Paraderps said...
on Apr. 15 2015 at 3:49 pm
Paraderps, Southlake, Texas

"There is nothing to fear but loss of fresh coffee." - John F. Kennedy

Once I tried to possess somebody, it ended with me being put in a metal box. Busted.