Aldecia's Sui Generis | Teen Ink

Aldecia's Sui Generis

By E_C_C_E_N_TRIC SILVER, Woods Cross, Utah
E_C_C_E_N_TRIC SILVER, Woods Cross, Utah

"Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But it gets boring. So I go back to being me."

Atticus and his friends were extremely excited to attend the amusement park on the dock. They had been waiting months for this day, and now it had finally arrived.  
Maneuvering through crowds, Atticus found it difficult to hear anything below a shout. Impatient families and couples were yelling and pushing, just trying to make it to the new thrill-seeking roller coaster - The Upchuck.  People were so excited to ride the brand new coaster, and they would do anything to be the first ones on, even if it meant shoving kids to the ground and pushing past the elderly like an angry mob. Of course Atticus and his friends wanted to ride it as desperately as everyone else, but they retreated from the chaotic crowd and into the safety of a small ice cream shop with a gigantic ice cream cone on the top of it, causing it to stand out from the other shops and restaurants.  
"Holy crap," Jaylon muttered as they walked through the doors of the shop. "I thought we'd never make it out of that crowd." Running his hand through his slightly shaggy red hair, he stared out the front window of the shop at all of the crazed people trying to make it to The Upchuck. Atticus could see the reflection of the crowd in Jay's piercing green eyes, and he could tell that the freckled red-head was relieved to get away from all the people.  
Darius also stole a glance out the window, and noticed something that the other teens hadn't.  
"Hey, guys," Darius said, pointing a finger past the crowd and across the dock. "What is that place?" 
The teens stood on their tiptoes, attempting to get a better glance at what Darius was looking at. 
Finally, Atticus acquired a decent view. It appeared to be an old room for a mirror maze, judging from the poster on the front wall. There was a worn-out CLOSED sign stapled over the advertisement. A sad looking clown sat in front of the entrance, but didn't make any attempt to sell citizens to his closed attraction.  
Atticus grinned from ear to ear, saying eagerly, "We should check it out!" There was definitely something sketchy about the maze, and Atticus wanted in.  
Before waiting for his friends' approval, Atticus yanked the door open and began his journey across the crowded dock. He was shoved and cussed at a few times, but that didn't stop him from reaching his destination.  
Turning around to see his friends emerge from the swarm of shouting people, Atticus flashed a smile at them, looked down at the clown, and said, "How much do we have to pay to go through the maze?" 
The clown didn't make eye contact with anyone, and his painted frown made him look extremely gloomy and unhappy. "Maze is closed, kid." The man huffed, making his bright blue afro bounce, "Can't you see the sign?" 
Atticus' eyes scanned over the CLOSED sign once more, and he said, "Yeah, I saw it. But that doesn't necessarily change the fact that I want to go in there." 
"My friend's right," Jaylon backed Atticus up, "We're all really curious to see the attraction. I'm sure no one would notice, they're all too busy trying to get a seat on The Upchuck. What's the harm in one little run through the maze?"     
The clown kept silent, and held his glare at the floor of the dock. For the first time, Rowen spoke up.  "Atticus, I don't think this is a good idea . . . let's just go find another attraction." 
"The girl's right, little boy," The clown spoke, "You should leave." 
Atticus began to complain. "You're just going to kick us out? C'mon, why can't we just take a look around? We have spare cash if you want it." 
"I don't want your money, kid."  
"Can we just leave?" Rowen asked, "I have a bad feeling about this." 
She gazed up at the teenage boys with her icy blue eyes full of plead. Atticus sighed, and for the first time, the clown made eye contact with the boy. "Fine, we'll leave." Atticus grabbed Rowen's arm and turned to walk away.  
"Wait." The clown sprang to his feet, his eyes boring into Atticus'. "You want in, right?" 
Atticus smirked, "Yeah, of course." 
The clown smiled, but it appeared more of a villainous grin than a cheerful beam. "Then I can get you in." 
Rowen's eyes filled with fear. "No, mister clown, I think we're good. We'll just go get some hot dogs or something." She began to walk away. 
Atticus was disappointed, but trailed behind his friend. He only made it a couple steps before the clown caught hold of his arm. Whispering in his ear, he said, "But aren't you curious?"  
"Well . . . yeah, sort of." Atticus said, wrenching the clown's hand off his arm. 
"I'm not curious. Nope, not at all." Rowen said, waving a dismissive arm and continuing to walk away.  
"Oh, c'mon! Why not? It'll be super fun, and a lot better than any hot dog or sweaty crowd." Jaylon taunted. 
She twirled around. "I said no, Jay. I don't want to go in there! It looks so . . . creepy." She shivered. 
"Oh, C'mon, Row!" Jaylon said, slightly pushing Rowen toward the entryway of the mirror maze.
"This is going to be epic!" Atticus cheered, following Jaylon's lead and steering her into the attraction. 
The four kids entered the maze, the clown taking up the rear. 
The teens were fully aware of the fact that the clown closed and locked the door after the four of them had entered. A small, uneasy feeling spread throughout Atticus, and he suddenly felt claustrophobic. The usual smile he wore faded, and the darkness of the room became immensely unsettling.   
Lights flickered to life. Atticus blinked to get his eyes to adjust to the sudden brightness, and when his vision came back, the only thing he could see was himself, his friends, and the clown standing right behind them.  
Mirrors were placed all around the room, making it impossible for anyone in the attraction to navigate their way through the maze. Atticus noticed that some of the mirrors were folding in on themselves, indicating at least four hallways.  
In his eagerness, Jaylon was about to sprint down one of the halls when there was a sudden shift in temperature. The air grew cold, sending shivers down Atticus' spine. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up on end. It felt almost . . . electric.  The clown zapped, sparking right in front of the red-head before he could go any farther into the maze.  
Rowen screamed, Jaylon stumbled back, and Darius and Atticus stood frozen in shock and fear. 
"Wha-" Darius stammered. 
The clown grinned, distorting the painted frown on his face. "Just a moment." The clown announced, "There are rules that the four of you will have to follow." 
"W-what kind of rules?" Jaylon asked from the ground where he had fallen.  
The clown continued, "Once you enter the maze, you will be split up into four different hallways. I will close the door to each of your halls, and there will be no turning back. You will enter your halls and find your way through the maze alone. Be wary. There are many mirrors, hidden doors, and dead ends. Navigation will be impossible. You will have to rely entirely on wit and common sense. At one point in the maze, you will eventually find each one of your friends. Once all four of you have been reunited and you make it through the whole maze, you are free. If you leave one friend behind, they will be forced to continue unaccompanied. The rest of you will be split up once again, and it will be required for you to start from the beginning and find your lost friend. There is no time limit in the maze. However, we are not obligated to keep you here until we see fit to release you, so please . . . move quickly." 
The clown grabbed Jaylon from the ground and tossed him into the hallway as Jay screamed. Letting the teenager go, Jaylon swiveled around to come back, but not quickly enough.  
The last thing Atticus, Darius and Rowen saw was the look of pure fear on Jaylon's face before the clown slammed the door to his hallway closed.  
"What are you doing to him?!" Atticus yelled, raising his arms in front of Rowen and Darius in a protective manor. He tried to sound calmer than he felt, but there was still an uneasy edge to his tone as he spoke. The clown laughed - an inhuman cackle that echoed off the mirrors, threatening the kids and forcing their hearts to beat at unusual paces. The clown never voiced an answer, but the laugh that escaped his mouth was response enough to make the teens wish they hadn't asked.  
"You're next, sweetheart," The clown said, approaching Rowen. She silently shook her head, clinging on to Atticus' sleeve, tears of fright spilling out of her eyes.  
Atticus glared at the clown, hoping he appeared a lot more confident than he felt, and sneered, "I won’t let you touch her." 
The clown smiled, sparks of electricity dancing across his teeth. The atmosphere surged, and energy revolved around the room. A blinding light forced Atticus to close his eyes, and when he opened them, the clown was standing in Rowen's hallway, the girl caught in his grasp. Tears raced down her cheeks, and panic and fear crowded her blue eyes.  
"Atticus . . ." She whispered, her voice wavering.  
Atticus felt a sudden burst of desperation. He had just witnessed his best friend Jaylon getting trapped and taken away. He wasn’t going to just stand around and watch the clown take Rowen, too. He had to do something.  
Sprinting forward, Atticus screamed as he rushed the clown. Rowen outstretched her hand toward Atticus, and the clown slammed the door closed, locking himself and Rowen in the hallway. Banging his fists on the door, Atticus yelled in frustration and anger. "Give her back! Give me my friends back!" 
The temperature cooled once more, and the clown sparked behind him, reentering the front room and grabbing Darius. Swiveling around, Atticus had just enough time to see the clown spark again, dumping Atticus' last friend into the third hall. The door banged closed, and Atticus was left alone with the clown.  
His fists shook with hatred toward this kidnapper. The clown had just taken all of his friends away from him! It was obvious that they should've trusted the uneasy feeling they all had. They should've all just left. But now . . . they were separated. And it was all Atticus' fault. Now he had no way of finding his friends.  
"What did you do to them?" Atticus asked, his voice shaky from rage. "Where did you take them?"  
The clown leisurely walked toward the teenage boy. Despite how terrified he was, Atticus stood his ground. However, when the clown teleported right in front of Atticus' face, the boy flinched. He could smell a foul odor emitting from the clowns mouth. It smelled somewhat of fish and eggs, enough to make Atticus gag.  
The clown forcibly seized Atticus' upper throat, and slightly lifted him off the ground. The boy found it much more difficult to breathe, and pain seared where the clown was touching his skin.  Electricity sparked around the boy's jaw, making his teeth ache. 
"I'd be more worried about yourself than your friends." The clown spoke. "I've got a special intention for you. And you only." 
"What . . . what are you talking about?" Atticus managed, his throat burning.           
The clown stared warily at Atticus' eyes. Then he whispered, "I've never seen any so magnificent." Atticus knew what the clown meant. His eyes really were different. "Amber on the right . . . and green on the left. Extraordinary." 
Atticus struggled to remain calm. He had been born with not only two different colored eyes, but the rarest colors among humans. Everywhere he went, he always had people commenting on his eyes, even scary teleporting clowns.  
"You will sell for billions if not trillions back in Aldecia." 
Atticus kept silent. What was Aldecia? A place? If it was, Atticus had never heard of it before it now. 
"Many will fight for your labor as well as your enslavement. They would pay well, and I will finally have enough gacles to pay off my dept. I have been working months, eyen years to earn enough money to keep me alive. It's unspeakably arduous. But now . . . now I will finally be able to pay the Crowned Head. They will be forced to set me free, and I will be able to roam the land, unrestricted wherever travel may lead me. There will be no stopping me. I could spark to any of the existing lands, taking what I please and ransacking the globes. No one could get in my way, because I would be the wealthiest man in all the land - rendering me the most powerful as well. ." The clown laughed, and Atticus shook in fear, trying hard to level his breathing as the clown tightened his grip on the boy's throat.  
"You . . . can't do this . . ." Atticus moaned, "I won't let you." 
"You really think I'm going to let some little boy get in the way of my riches and freedom?" The clown cackled. "I will never."  
The strange, metallic feeling returned once more, this time tenfold as prominent. Atticus' skin began to burn, and he clenched his teeth and clamped his eyes closed as the cold sensation overtook him. 
            A slight breeze blew through Atticus’ blonde hair, carrying the scent of freshly mowed grass, summer leaves, and butterscotch as well as lilacs. It was a strangely pleasant smell, and Atticus pondered how he was suddenly outside. 
            Slowly peeling his eyes open, Atticus wasn’t sure if he should run through the alluring meadows of colorful flowers while laughing and enjoying the beautiful weather, or scream and cry as he shouted at the abandoned field that was certainly nowhere near his hometown. He stood in shocked silence as the wind gracefully blew in the green grass, the sight nothing he had ever pictured before. 
            Many small hills covered the land, the colors of flowers ranging from red to green, blue to orange, and yellow to purple. It was extremely bright out, causing Atticus to glance up at the sky. There was not a single cloud in sight, and there had to be at least three suns littering the upper atmosphere. However, despite the brightness of the suns, Atticus could spot hundreds of stars peppered throughout the sky. He stared up in awe and wonder at the unusual view. If he could see that many stars now, how many would he be able to behold once night rolled around? 
Atticus couldn't see anyone else in sight besides a cloaked figure. The form appeared to be aiming a small telescope in their direction, and there was a horse at his side. Once the figure seemed to have locked eyes with the boy, he took jumped onto the horse, galloping toward a massive foothill. 
            A strong hand pushed Atticus in the back, forcing him to move forward and reminding him that the clown was still beside him. 
"We have to hurry. That watchman knows you're here now. He was using a Seeker, so he probably also knows about your eyes. I have to get you to the Crowned Head as soon as possible."     
            “Where are we?” Atticus asked, continuing to take in his new surroundings. 
            “It's called Aldecia. Now walk,” The clown grunted, pushing Atticus once more.
            “Okay, okay, I’m moving,” Atticus complained, walking forward. “So where are all of my friends? I have to find them,” Atticus scoffed. 
            “As if I’d tell you. I separated the four of you for a reason. I’m not going to provide you with such information. Just keep your mouth shut and your legs moving. We’ll be walking all day, and tomorrow as well.”
            Atticus recalled that the clown had brought them there as if they were transported through space and time. “Why can’t you just teleport us to the Crowned Head? That would be a whole lot faster, wouldn’t it?” He decided it better to play along with the clown, rather than attempting to attack him. Even though he desperately wanted to get back home and find his friends, he needed to find out more about this world. 
            The clown sneered. “It’s not that simple, kid. I can only use portions of my magic at a time. Eventually, I’ll run out of magic energy. If I keep going after that, it’ll take my stamina and strength. We sparked here from a very long distance. I need to regain my energy. It’ll be a while before I can make a spark like that again.”
            Atticus wasn’t sure if he’d heard the clown right. “I’m sorry, did you say magic?” 
            The clown glared at him. “Of course I did.”
            Atticus laughed. “There’s no such thing.”
            “Then explain to me how we got here.”
            Atticus thought for a moment, then settled with, “This is a dream. Yup. Either that, or I’m totally delusional. There is no possible way that we just teleported-“
            “Sparked,” The clown corrected.
            Atticus ignored him and continued, “into some other world with crazy flowers, three suns, and fifty gazillion stars in the sky. It’s impossible.” Atticus held his head defiantly, and the clown rolled his eyes. Protruding chains from one of the clown’s baggy pockets, he clipped them onto Atticus' wrists quickly, giving the boy no opportunity to fight back.
            “Hey, what the heck!” Atticus shouted, “You can’t just chain me up! That’s like illegal or something.”
            “Not here.” The clown said, grabbing the end of the chain and hauling Atticus over hills. Atticus decided it better to keep his mouth shut after the clown’ response. In what kind of place would it be legal for clowns to kidnap teenage kids? 
A massive foothill was lifted toward the sky, blocking Atticus’ view of their destination. Atticus trudged forward, his black converse not entirely working as the perfect walking shoes. 
“So . . .” Atticus said, “What’s your name?” He was truly terrified, but talking helped to make it seem a little less real and more of a really awkward hike with a crazed clown, chained wrists and unnatural sky. 
“That information will not be provided, especially to a runt like you.”
“Oo-kay . . .” Atticus said, looking away and moving forward. They traveled more hours in silence, and the suns began to set in the distance. Atticus’ feet had started to grow stiff minutes ago, and it didn’t help that they were walking uphill. 
The sky completely darkened, and Atticus gazed up at the mesmerizing view. Stars sprinkled the sky, leaving little space left for any darkness. The clown and the teenager stopped to rest on the hill, and the clown laid down to fall asleep. Atticus would've ran away, but he was still bound from the chains, and he wouldn't have any idea where to run. He was lost - In a whole other dimension. 
Atticus ran his fingers through the grass, finding that it was the softest grass he had ever felt. He understood how the clown had fallen asleep so quickly. He shifted onto his side and tried to fall asleep, but found it impossible. Thoughts of his friends and his family flooded his mind. All of the pranks that him and Jaylon had pulled on Darius. The dance that Atticus went to with Rowen. His mother making his favorite meals, and his comfortable bed that he made every night. 
Suddenly the grass didn't feel so soft, and the air wasn't as fresh.
He wanted to go home. 
Atticus curled up in a tight ball, moving around so he wasn't facing the clown anymore. Then he let the tears spill.
He silently cried to himself, just wishing he could be anywhere but there.
Atticus didn't get a single second of sleep that night. He vowed that he would do anything it took to escape the clown's clutches and stay as far away from the Crowned Head as possible. He struggled to let fatigue overtake him, but in the long run, he ended up staring at the sky and watching the suns rise.
The clown stirred in his sleep, so Atticus stood and prepared to walk all day once again. 
They didn't talk at all the second day, but the clown did feed him. 
The food looked strange, and tasted nasty, but Atticus forced it down. He didn't know when he would get a chance to eat anything else, do he downed to entire meal. 
Finally, the two of them made it to the top of the foothill. When Atticus saw what was on the other side, his jaw dropped and he stopped in his tracks. 
An immense castle stood dormant in a valley of perfectly green grass and flowers. The stones of the castle were etched with delicate engravings of numerous scenes. Brave warriors and knights were carved into the walls, fighting off dragons, trolls, witches, gnomes, and even fairies. Pillars rose from the corners of the castle, winding in elaborate spirals with vines stretching to the top. A rather large town was settled beneath the caste, surrounding the exterior of the structure. Houses were placed in no particular pattern, scattered around the village with various shapes, sizes, and colors. People bustled around town, some on horseback and others riding in wagons. Most of them walked and conversed with other townsfolk. Several shops were set up, all of which had men and women advertising their sales with loud announcements and smiling faces. 
“Whoa,” was all Atticus could say. As he looked around at all of the people, he suddenly felt out of place with his striped V-neck and jeans. Many of the townsfolk wore tights, rags, and dresses. Some of the more rich-looking women would have fancy gowns with corsets and pretty braided hair. “Why are you dressed as a clown?” Atticus asked, looking up at his kidnapper.  
The clown glanced over at Atticus, and said, “I had to find a way to get into that amusement park, didn’t I?”
“Oh, yeah,” Atticus said sarcastically, “So you could kidnap a few teenage kids and lead them to some strange magical world called A-Piece-Of-Ya or something.”
“Aldecia.” The clown said.
“I’ve heard it both ways.” Atticus countered.
“Keep moving.” The clown ordered, shoving Atticus down the hill and closer to the castle and town. “We have to get some proper clothing so we don’t stand out.” 
“Yeah, whatever.” Atticus followed the clown down the rest of the hill and into the town. They didn’t get too far into the village before people began to point and laugh at them. Some scowled, others wore confused faces. 
“People are starting to stare.” Atticus mentioned. 
“I know, we have to hurry.” The clown sped up, dragging Atticus along with the chains. The metal had dug into his skin, and he was sure there was going to be bruises the next day. The suns were now high up in the sky, indicating that it was close to noon.
They scurried through town until they came across a small shop selling clothing. The clown talked to a shapely blonde women that worked at the front. Atticus thought that she wore too much makeup, but all the men around the shop seemed very intrigued by her beauty. The clown whispered something in her ear, and she nodded in understanding. 
“Right this way.” She said, leading them past a curtain and into a back room. “My name’s Chesly, and I’d be happy to help you with your outfitting.” She spoke in a very enthusiastic manor, with a soft voice, and she always seemed to be smiling. 
The woman helped the both of them find regular, decent clothes that would help them blend in a lot more, and then announced that the price would be 16 gacles. 
Atticus had no idea what a gacle was, but according to the clown’s reaction, it was an exceptional price. Atticus watched as the clown splashed water on his face from a nearby bucket. He got all the clown makeup off his face, and now Atticus could see that he looked to be about in his late twenties or early thirties. He had a strong jawline and the beginning of a small brown beard. With his new villager clothes, he looked like someone from Robin Hood or A Knights Tale. 
Atticus glanced down at his own clothing. He now wore dark breeches with an equally dark cloak and hood. He found his navy vest extremely uncomfortable compared to his V-neck, and a few leather straps were placed on his hips, waist, and even his left thigh. He now had a satchel strewn across his shoulder, and his black boots buckled up just below his knees. 
“I look like a pixie.” Atticus huffed to no one in particular.
“Actually,” Chesly said, “Pixies are a bit on the smaller side, and they have very delicate and beautiful wings. They are one of my favorite creatures residing in Easthallow, near the Falls. Pixies are wonderful, but they sure have a lot of attitude, and they grow jealous quite quickly.”
Atticus stared at Chesly like she was crazy. “You talk about them like they’re real.”
Her eyes widened in astonishment, and she said, “Of course they’re real! I know many pixies. They are known to bless travelers with a slight kiss of their small lips. It’s said that the traveler will be glorified and that the best of luck with befall them throughout their journeys.”
“Alright, Chesly, that’s enough,” The clown said, stopping the shopkeeper from continuing.
“No, it’s okay,” Atticus scolded, “Chesly . . . continue as you see fit.” 
The shopkeeper smiled. The clown glared. “We don’t have time for this. We have to get you to the Crowned Head as soon as possible.”
The smile vanished from the women’s face, and she said, “The Crowned Head? What sort of trouble have you gotten into this time, Nolan?”
Atticus regarded the clown with newfound interest. “Nolan, huh? I’m guessing that’s your name?” Atticus thought it best to remember that for when he told the police about all this, as if they would believe him. 
“Quiet, boy.” Nolan commanded, “We have to leave.” He turned toward Chesly, saying, “I apologize for coming in with such short notice. I hope you can understand the situation I’m in. However, I can’t allow you to obtain any information concerning this matter. Goodbye, Ches.” He grabbed Atticus’ chain and headed toward the door.
“Who was that girl? Are you two close?”
Nolan glanced down at the ground. “We used to be. But . . . things happened, and . . . well, it's in the past.”
“She was your girl, wasn’t she?”
Nolan looked perplexed. “My girl? What do you mean?”
Atticus grinned and teased, “You liiike her.” His face reddened and Atticus laughed. “You totally do! You’re blushing redder than a baboon’s butt right now.”
“Shut up and remember that I kidnapped you. I could just as easily slit your throat.”
“But you wouldn’t.” Atticus smirked. “You need me alive so you can get your reward. I’m valuable here. You wouldn’t kill me if you had the chance.” Atticus wasn't too sure that this was the truth, but it was the best lead he had, so he decided to use it.
“Keep. Moving.” Nolan growled, pushing Atticus out the store and into the crowded streets. 
Atticus took in his surrounding, noting a stable for steads as well as a black horse that looked about his size and easy enough for him to ride. He could effortlessly run away and take off on the stallion. However, it would be extremely difficult to ride a horse with chains on. The horse would be a lot faster, but also more noticeable. He wouldn't be able to make it too far without the clown knowing where he was headed. He dismissed the idea. 
Atticus also noticed that people were still staring at them, and it took a while to realize why. 
“The chains.” Atticus whispered to Nolan.
“What are you talking about?” The kidnapper asked. 
“That’s why we still have people’s attention. We look conspicuous. If you want to get to the Crowned Head or whatever, you have to take the chains off. We’re too apparent.”
Nolan looked down at the boy with a look that said: Heck no, kid. Then he voiced, “There’s no way I’m letting you out of those chains. You’d just run away.” 
“What makes you say that? I followed you all the way here! We’ve been walking for two days straight, my feet are too tired to run, I'm starving, and I have no idea where I’d go, I don’t know my way around town.”
Nolan seemed to be considering this. “You have valid reasons.”
“Heck yeah I do.” Atticus said. He was beginning to act a bit more eager than he should have. But if he got these chains off, he could find a way home! Just a little more persuading, and he would be free!
“My eyes will be on you the entire time. And take note of the fact that I have knives tucked away in all sorts of secret pockets and compartments. I won’t hesitate to throw.”
Okay, so that was a problem. But if Nolan needed Atticus alive, then he wouldn’t actually stab him, would he?
Atticus made up his mind. He had to find a way to get home. He had to see his friends and family again. Now that he had less evident clothing, he should be able to make it out of town without too many questions or staring faces.
Nolan protruded a small key from a pocket Atticus didn’t even know was there. Atticus’ heart pounded with adrenaline and excitement. The kidnapper grabbed Atticus’ hands and the key slipped into the lock. The teen’s heart skipped a beat. The second lock came undone as the key twisted. 
He was free. 
“Thanks, Nolan.” Atticus said, rubbing his wrists where the chains had been rubbing against his skin and loosing circulation. 
“Don’t thank me, boy.” Nolan said, “Now we have to get to the Crowned Head.” He turned around and began to walk toward the castle. 
Seizing the opportunity, Atticus pivoted and sprinted in the opposite direction, dodging past citizens and never looking back. 
He was doing a really good job at moving through the crowd at a decent speed, until a broad shouldered man stepped right in front of him, causing him to fall to the ground.
"Where do you think you're going?" The man asked. 
Atticus groaned, rubbing his back and glancing up at the beefy figure. He had a machete strapped up in a scabbard at his side, and multiple scars on his big, bare chest. Atticus used his imagination and concluded that they were probably scars from battling some fire-breathing dragon in an underwater cave in the middle of some sort of blizzard or hurricane. Who knows how many crazy things like that could happen in this new world?
"I need to return home to my mother. She's very ill, and I need to treat her. Please, sir. She's really sick." Atticus was glad for all of the improv that he had done in theatre class the year before - it was really paying off. The teen forced tears to swell up in his eyes, which wasn't very hard, considering the fact that he was lost in some other dimension, had no idea where his friends were, and no way of contacting his parents. 
The tears spilt out of his eyes, but the big man appeared as if he didn't care a bit. "I'm sure your mother will be fine."
Atticus stood, looking the man in the face, and saying, "She needs me. My father was murdered in battle not too long ago. I'm all she has left. Please, you have to let me see her."
"Why were you in such a rush?"
Man, this guy sure is nosey . . . Atticus thought as he answered, "I just talked to my physician, and he informed me how to treat to her. I finally know how to save my mom! Please, you have to let me pass."
By now, most of the people in the area were staring. Atticus was staring to lose confidence in his acting, and the man seemed to be able to tell. 
"We don’t have physicians here in the Southedge. All healers live in Easthallow. Disease and sickness is uncommon, even nonexistent. You're not from here. In fact, I could guess that you're a very long way from home."
Atticus took an involuntary step back, not knowing how to counter the man's claim. His eyes fluttered into the hard gaze of the man's, and surprise and wonder took over his features.  
"You . . . you're eyes . . ." The man spoke. 
"Yeah, what about 'em?" Atticus asked, "Why is it such a big deal around here? They're just eyes. I have two, you have two, she has two," Atticus pointed at a nearby women with dark blue eyes. As the teenager looked around, he concluded that everyone in town had the same exact color of eyes - blue. "Wait," Atticus said, "You all have . . . they're all blue . . ." He circled around, staring each individual in the eyes. 
Nolan parted the crowd, his face reddened in anger. He clutched a knife in his right hand, and raised it to throw. 
Atticus never had enough time to turn or doge the projectile before the beefy man snapped his arm outward, deflecting the blade with his own. 
"You . . ." Nolan sneered, staring coldly at the man. "Eli!" Nolan charged, and Eli - who Atticus assumed to be the big man - clutched the machete in his hand.
The two men darted toward each other, knives and machete raised to attack. 
Eli's blade began to dance with flames. Nolan's knives sparked.
Atticus stared, wondering how it could be legal for full grown men to brawl in the middle of village streets. Then again, kidnaping kids from other worlds proved to be authorized. 
Their blades clashed, and fire and electricity flew through the air. Civilians bustled around, taking cover in their houses and avoiding the conflict. Atticus had no idea where to go, so he stood firm, watching the battle intently. 
The two weapons hit with so much force, the heat from their melee causing Atticus to take a couple steps back. 
Guards rode in on magnificent white stallions, carrying miniscule cubes and wearing polished armor. The first guard threw his cube to the ground, right in between the two fighters. The cube instantly expanded, forming a wall to separate the men. Once the wall reached about three feet wide, it moved around Nolan and Eli, encasing them in small boxes. 
"Explain!" The lead guard shouted with a gravelly voice, loud enough for Nolan to hear over the top of the metal wall.
"He stole my auction item!" Nolan yelled.
Auction item?! Atticus thought, Is that what I am? Just an item waiting to be sold? 
"And what would this particular item be?" The guard asked. 
"The boy! It's the boy!" Eli shouted with his booming voice.  
Atticus saw the heads of all of the guards swivel in his direction, and he knew he had to get out. 
Swiveling around to run, Atticus only made it a few steps before he was encased in a similar metal cage, only this one smaller. 
"Let me out!" Atticus screamed, banging his fists on the wall. When his skin connected to the metal, a sharp pain seared its way through the boy's arm. "Ouch!" Atticus yelped and backed away from the walls.
Examining his wound, Atticus could see a scar that had formed on his right forearm. It appeared to have the same shape as a fall tree, and the pain was coming from the inside of his body, following his veins from his wrist down to his elbow.
"I wouldn't try to escape if I were you." The guard's voice came from above, "This is a class A Magekeep. You won’t be getting out any time soon. The more you struggle, the more immense the pain will become." 
Atticus glanced up at the opening of the Magekeep, trying to come up with a way to get out. He couldn't just sit around while his friends could be in danger! He needed to escape.
"Let me out!" Atticus repeated. He was startled when a small slit appeared in front of his eyes. He glanced out the opening to see the guard staring at his eyes. 
"So the rumors are true." The guard huffed. "It's the Sui Generis."
Atticus was smart enough to know that he was extremely valuable in this new world. But having his own personal ego? He was super popular, wasn't he?
"Take the boy," The guard commanded, "to our father." He swished his cape, allowing the wall to crumble before Atticus. 
Quickly, chains were brought down on the boy's wrists, making him yet another captive. 
"Should we let him walk on his own?" One of the guards asked. 
"No. Strike him with the Wallop." 
"S-sir . . . are you positive?"
"Affirmative. We can't risk him knowing finding out any secrets. Walter, take the blow."
A guard stepped forward, hauling a massive hammer behind him as it dragged on the ground. 
Panic began to build up in Atticus. They weren't really going to hit him with that thing, were they?
The oversized guard raised his hand along with the hammer. Atticus attempted to scramble away, but was too slow. 
The giant weapon came crashing down on Atticus, but there was no pain. No bone-breaking force that rendered him lifeless. Just a strange, tingling sensation spreading throughout his body. It felt as if the magic from the hammer had shifted into his own body.
The light from the noon suns seemed to slip farther away as the feeling increased. Sunlight drifted away, until all that was left was darkness. 
When Atticus awoke, he was lying on a cold, stone floor. His arm screamed out in pain when he attempted to lift himself. Pondering how he had been injured, the memories came crashing back down. 
The Wallop. The Sui Generis. The chains. Nolan, Eli, and the guard. Atticus suddenly remembered all of it. He clutched his head, wanting to forget everything that had happened these past few days. 
He wanted to return home. He wanted to see his family and his friends again. 
"Look me in the eyes, Sui Generis." A deep voice rattled from inside the cell, notifying Atticus that he wasn't alone. 
Atticus raised his head despite the agony within his abrasions. Looking up, he stared into the scowling eyes of the Crowned Head.

It's all about magic and adventure - things I daydream about too often. It started as an assingment. I wanted it to be something more.