Cursed: The Fallen | Teen Ink

Cursed: The Fallen

April 3, 2015
By Anonymous

It started like any other day. Everything was at peace. Or, at least that’s what it looked like. Everyone was going about their daily life, helping to move the business of a city along. But, I couldn't imagine what would happen that day. No. I thought I was going to go about may day as normal, as I was suppose to be a Watcher. The job was quite simple, considering what my friend did in the city. All I had to do was observe the goings on of the city. Though, I did have other duties. Watchers have powers, like most people. But, we don’t have powers like some would think. No. We can see the future. Or at least, possible outcomes. But, even with our collective powers, we couldn't have seen what was to come.
The city was open to all, for the Festival of Light, which was always great fun and fair for the people. But, this year was  going to be different. In the worse way possible. As this was a public ceremony, we got the day off. We got to enjoy our lives. And I was going to get to see my favorite person in the whole world. My best friend, Spencer. He’s the most important part of my life. He could ever understand how much. But, he’s my best friend forever. And I’m never going to let anything or anyone hurt him. I’ll always be there to keep him safe.
It was evening we I finally saw him. And I was so happy. I ran to him, hugging him. I was never going to let anything happen to him. In that hug, I could protect him. Forever.  I never wanted to let go. After what seemed like an eternity, we head off to do something. I feel a strange feeling in my heart, as I watched him walk away. He then turned, motioning for me to come. It took a moment, before he walked back, grabbing me by the hand. I didn't care what we were doing, just as long as I got to spend the time with him. I never wanted it to end. But, everything ends. No matter how much you don’t want it to.
After the festivities had started to end, we walked to the inn he was staying in. As we were walking through the streets, I feel a strange presents following us. I looked around, not seeing anything. Spencer looked at me, wondering if there was something wrong. I looked at him, giving him a look that there was nothing wrong. We had gotten to the inn. I hugged him, before I left to go home. It was so hard to leave him, knowing that there was something wrong. But, I was going to protect him from whatever it was that I was sensing. As I was walking through the darkening streets, shadowy figures appeared around me. I took out my weapon, looking at the figure. They seemed to be more concerned with someone else. One walked forward. And that was the last thing I saw, before blacking out.
I woke up, dazed and confused, looking around at the street. I saw people running in fear. I didn't know what had happened. But, I looked up, seeing smoke coming from the buildings. It blacked the sky, as the flames, bursting from the buildings. Hell had erupted on the city. I then ran to the inn, the only thing on my mind was Spencer. When I got there, I rushed into the inn. I looked around, not knowing what to do. I found the innkeeper, cowering under the counter. I grabbed him, seeing in his eyes a great deal of fear. I dropped him, running up to search for Spencer. But, the entire inn was empty. I rushed out, heading to the city square.
When I got to the open space, I saw Spencer was the cause of this Hell. I couldn't believe it. I saw my fellow Watchers, trying to fight both the shadow figures and Spencer. But, with very little success. They were flung back. I couldn't believe what was happening. I had to do something. I was going to save my best friend, even if it means giving up my life. I rushed pass shadow figures, heading right into the flames around Spencer. I grabbed him, in a hug. I loved him so much. He looked at me, fire in his eyes. I did the only thing I could. I placed my hands on his face, pulling him in for a kiss. He was the love of my life and I couldn't watch him be destroyed. I took all the hatred and anger from him, taking it into myself. I held Spencer in my arms, as I was being destroyed inside. But, it was all for Spencer. When he come to, I let go of him. I fell back. Spencer grabbed me, holding me close. He looked into my eyes, seeing I was dying. Tears started forming in his eyes. I placed a hand on his face, letting him know, it was ok. He was the last person I saw, before seeing white. I died in the arms of the person I loved the most. My best friend.