Smiler | Teen Ink

Smiler

By MushyKetchup BRONZE, A Place I Don't Want Posted Online, Texas
MushyKetchup BRONZE, A Place I Don't Want Posted Online, Texas

It's a simple arrangement we have at the AB Lab Complex.

Those who have heard of us know of this arrangement. It simply goes like this - you don't notice us, and we won't notice you.

They've heard the horror stories, I think. I know I had, although I had a bit of an inside view, with my father working at this lab before I came. They've heard about all the Projects gone wrong; the first who escaped, Delta, causing the spark of the rebellion to follow; the final, Zulu, who actually lit the old lab on fire before escaping. They know of the war the Projects caused, I know, although we addressed the opposite forces simply as 'supernaturals' and assured the public that the situation was entirely in control and to not worry. To not worry. To not worry. You have to remember to always tell the public to not worry. Of course, we had no bit of the situation in control at all, but I have a feeling nobody admits a lack of control to another.

I think the public also knows about Adrienne Bonhomme, a particular rebel to the public for whom the lab was named. Her deceased fiance was an analyst for us, but he, along with her, apparently did not approve of the system. One of my supposed bosses, Colonel Langley, has been on a desperate hunt for her ever since he met her personally.

And me? I'm a simple scientist, a pawn at this new lab, just as terrified as everybody else. No interesting backstory, no particular reason to be fascinated with me - oh no, I'm a smiler. We smile to the people in the lab as we poke the needles into their arms and murmur sweet words of false encouragement as their eyes roll into the backs of their quivering heads until our voices are overpowered by their screams. It's torture, but the alternative is execution by the United States Army due to 'lack of cooperation' and 'failure to execute orders'.

So I suppose my story starts with the burning of the lab that I mentioned earlier. A good chunk of my coworkers and friends hadn't made it out in time, either being burnt by the fire, suffocated by the smoke, or directly murdered by Project Zulu. I barely made it out myself, a wicked burn having licked straight up the length of my right leg. Although I can walk again, it still pains me, the burn scarred with blisters and scabs.

Work in the new lab was the same as it had been before, smiling and screaming. That is, until we were introduced personally to the namesake of Lab Complex AB. Adrienne Bonhomme came, hair partially shaven, body littered with scars, and with a terrified, scratchy voice in all her glory.

As expected, Langley is positively beaming in his spot and looking at her like she's a goddess. For a brief moment, I almost pity her before I remember that I'm not allowed to. She is the enemy, and I am required to treat her as such.

She is taken away, and I step over to a coworker. I do not talk to him, but his friends in high places can be rather informative. I clear my throat to retrieve his attention.

"So they finally found her," I muse. He bows his head. "Any idea how?" 

"Don't want to talk about it." His words are hurried as he shuffles off. 

Probably not a good sign.

Then, I notice a window: hers. It's a brand new one-way window. I walk over, drawn to the image with a childlike curiosity. There are a few others in the cell, sleeping, and it takes a while before I find her sitting on the floor, her face streaked with tears. There's a pillow in her white-knuckled hands, her eyes wide as saucers, pupils mere pinpoints. Every so often, she wipes the tears away with the corner of her pillow.

An indescribable feeling sparks within me. It's not a need to run up and help her, but a gentle tugging ache in the pit of my stomach to apologize. Half of me wishes to have her see me, hear my apology, but then I see the way her body shivers, the tears that scar her face. The way she's positioned, the way she acts, is the way in which only a person who has seen the horrors here personally would react. There is no hope for 'being let free', and she knows it. I know nothing I say can help her.

I'm despicable. We're all despicable. We're the smilers with grins dancing on our faces, humming a melody of sorrow as we bound down the halls, hands streaming with blood.

"No," I whisper to myself, tearing my eyes away from her bunk. I'm a smiler. I have to forget the emotions and focus on the goal that is ingrained into all the smilers' memories. I murmur it quickly, my autonomous steps carrying me to my bunk.

"The overall purpose of the AB Lab and all other military-associated labs in the United States is to create a better generation of Americans to thrive and establish higher government, healthcare, and protection of the people!" I whisper the revered words to myself over and over as my head falls to the pillow. My fingers mechanically reach up to the bun on the back of my head, and with a tug, my hair falls around my eyes, shielding me from it all. I keep repeating the phrase, drowning out the image. Yet her face still burns in front of my eyes, warping, screaming as an inexplicable man whips and whips. Then the hands come toward her, and the robe around her shoulders starts to waver. She thrashes violently, and I can hear her screams as the cloth settles on the floor in front of the man - no, Langley, who eyes her with hungry eyes that burn into my brain-

"No!" I hear myself scream out. I see a few confused glances in the darkness - the other smilers. I swallow up the visions. "Long day," I murmur to them, pressing my bright, grinning face to the pillow and forcing myself to sleep. Eventually, I do.

After all, I'm not allowed to fight. I'm ashamed in myself; in what I've become, but I'm a smiler.

And my job, even if it's not me inside, even if it's the monster within forcing it, is to smile.

When I wrote Smiler, I was basing it off a story my friend and I had come up with, but never got to writing. I'm glad I wrote this, because I had a blast. I actually wrote a longer version originally, but cut it down to leave the resolution a bit unrested. I hope people read it and see connections - where we're going with life now, what connects to things we do today.

Beila BRONZE said...
on Apr. 6 2015 at 7:53 pm
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

This is a great story, and I wish you had written more! You've got an awesome Divergent-esque feeling going on, like Four secretly questioning Eric and the new leaders. There were a few places where wording was awkward, especially your constant repetition of "to not worry." Shouldn't that be "not to worry"? :P Had you changed it, I think the repetition would have been really effective; as it was, I felt a little off balance. However, the idea is so great. I love your concept of the smilers, and you stayed true to the character throughout. You also snuck in some deep messages about society and conformity- again, reminding me of Divergent- and as I said at first, I think this is well worth continuing. Keep us posted!

on Apr. 3 2015 at 10:33 pm
Hey there! I very much appreciate the critique. As I'm not quite sure if I can edit my work (new to the website), I'll simply explain a few things here. I've heard the odd wording thing before - greatest apologies, I'm working on it! A particular rebel for whom the lab was named - the lab is named AB, which stands for Adrienne Bonhomme's initials, who is the rebel the lab is named for. And how exactly they are affected - that is meant to be a mystery, but the whole Delta, Zulu, e.t.c. situation is meant to be a sort of "creating supernaturals" scenario, which is what experimentation was mainly used for. ;) Thank you again, as I appreciate both your honesty and positive and negative critique! :)

on Apr. 3 2015 at 10:18 pm
Greenteadragon BRONZE, Rolling Hills Estates, California
I really enjoyed this! While the lab setup has been used before, writing from the view of a scientist really gave a fresh look. The fact that you reffered to them as 'smilers' was great, and your description of their work and why they're called smilers was chilling. My comments would be that there are a few places where the sentences seemed to be worded in a slightly confusing way. Also, I didn't really get what you meant by 'a particular rebel to the public for whom the lab was named'. Exactly how the experiments affected the subjects evaded me- was that on purpose? But overall this was an enrapturing and well-written. Good job!

absband SILVER said...
on Apr. 2 2015 at 4:02 pm
absband SILVER, Newfane, New York

"WORK IF YOU WANT SOMETHING"

This is the best article i had ever read. If I was the publisher i would publish it there and then. keep that creative mind working!

HammadWaseem said...
on Apr. 2 2015 at 3:52 pm
HammadWaseem, Lahore, Other

Be proud of who you are.
-Eminem

You can't see me
-John Cena

Ooh, somebody stop me!
-Mask

Thats nice!