Cursed | Teen Ink

Cursed

March 21, 2015
By Anonymous

I was happy once. Everyone is truly happy once in their life. But, everything  ends. Even that. Most of all that. How could I have been so blind? Was it because, I became so relax. Not thinking about the world. But, how could I? When I was so happy. Blind to the world, my world crumbling around me. I’m nothing more than a watcher now. Being forced to watch the whole world go to the darkside of the moon. It going to it’s end and I can’t do anything about it. I’m powerless. The only thing I can do is watch. It’s made worse, when I was powerless to help my friends. They needed me most and I couldn't help them. What good are powers, when I can’t even help the three people, who are the most important to me. God why? God why did you make me powerless to help them? What am I suppose to do? I’m sorry Will, Spencer, and Thomas. My best friends in the whole world. I’m sorry I wasn’t strong enough. I’m sorry I couldn’t save you.
It was all my fault. I should have seen this coming. But, I didn’t. I promised to always be there for you. To protect you. To never let anything or anyone ever hurt you. I thought by telling you about me and my problems, we would become closer. I knew that it would cause you pain. And I took a the risk. I took that chance at your expense. I never wanted this. I never wanted to hurt you. I should have thought. I never should have let myself become one of the things that could hurt. That would ever hurt you.
It all started when “he” returned into my life. Why? Why did he have to come back into my life? Jeff. Jeff was was my best friend before… Well, I can’t say why. All I know is that he left. We stopped being friends. I never thought I see him again. Or, even wanted to see him again.
He started with Thomas. He twisted and corrupted Thomas’s mind. He turned my kind hearted best friends into a monster. He forced me to sit there and watch him destroy Thomas. As Thomas screamed out of the pain, I had to confront Jeff. So, we dueled. My powers against his. And I was far more practiced with my powers. He couldn't hurt Thomas and fight me at the sometime. He had to choose. I thought he was focused on fighting me. But, I didn’t know what he was doing. We fought and I had the upper handed. Or, at least that’s what it appeared to me to be. I thought I could save Thomas. I was wrong. When all seemed loose for Jeff, he did the one thing he knew would hurt me the most. He used Thomas against me. Like a puppeteer using their puppet, he used Thomas to fight me. But, he knew that I could never bring myself to fight Thomas. I knew that Thomas wasn’t who I knew him to be. I knew what was happening. But, I couldn’t hurt him. I couldn’t believe Thomas was ago. I had to believe that my best friend, the Thomas I knew was still in there. Still fighting. I didn’t believe it. No, I didn’t. I knew that the Thomas I know was in there. But, I couldn’t hurt him. I surrender. Jeff knew he had broken me. He could have stopped there and left Spencer and Will alone. But, he wanted more. He wanted to destroy my happiness.
Then he moved onto Spencer. But, rather than doing what he did to Thomas, he turned Spencer’s gifts against him. Cursing Spencer, my beloved Spency. He was driven to madness. But, this time I could do nothing. I couldn’t fight Jeff. No. I was forced to watch, as my best friend was being destroyed right before my eyes. I tried to look away. But, Jeff wouldn’t let me. He used his powers, forcing me to watch. I watch my best friend, screaming for relief from this pain. He looked at me and in his eyes I saw so much pain, just asking for the relief of death. I wanted to help him, but Jeff would use this against me as well. Jeff entangled Spencer in a tree, as to keep him alive. This I watched with horror in my eyes. When he was done, I was released. Jeff left me there. Why? I don’t know. Because, I knew he wasn’t done with me yet. There was one last person. But, it was probably because he knew that I couldn’t kill Spencer, to relieve him of his pain. As Spencer screamed, which become more intense, I walked over, hugging him. I thought it might help. But, He keep screaming. I didn’t know what happened to me. Maybe, it was some deeper feelings I might have had for him. But, in that moment I kissed him. Not on the lips or anything. No, not like that. I just kissed him on the cheek. But, I do love him. After, I just held him in my arms. I loved him so much. But, as much as I did, I couldn’t relieve his pain. I couldn’t kill him. I held him. I just held him. Tighter than I ever had before. Tears ran from my eyes, as I placed my head into his neck. This was my punishment. To forever hear him screaming. My Spency. Someone, who I may have even had real feelings for.
But, what he would to to Will. It would be the worse thing he could ever do to me. More than destroying someone, who was so kind, or the person I may have truly loved. No, Jeff was going to do something that would destroy me most. He wasn’t going to use his own powers to destroy Will. No. This time he would use me. I was going to kill my best friend, my Willy. I wasn’t going to have control. Will was my greatest, most wonderful best friend. I couldn’t ever hurt him. But, I was just a puppet. A mindless doll. Jeff stood there, pulling my strings. I tried to fight it. But, the more I struggled, the worse it got for Will. He couldn’t breathe. He mouth to me for help. To stop hurting him. But, I couldn’t. I couldn’t even tell him why I was doing it. That I wasn’t incontrol. I didn’t know what to do. Will was was an inch from death, when Jeff finally released me. He had destroyed my happiness. Knowing this, he left me to grieve. The only kind thing he would do for me. I ran over to Will, lifting him up. He wasn't dead yet. But, he wasn't going to survive. I looked into his eyes. I looked so deeply into his eyes. And as I did, I saw the life leave his eye. He was gone in that moment. His body went limp. In that moment, I held him close. tears streaming from my eyes onto his face. I placed my head on his and was never going to let go.
So, this is my curse. To live forever with having had been so weak. I could have saved them, but I was so weak. I thought I was protecting them. But, I should have keep them closer. But, now I’m alone. Forever to keep watching this world end. My curse.      


The author's comments:

This piece, is just a little story about someone having to watch everything they care about be taken from them. It is completely told in a narrative form, which I don't usually do. But, it was a way to express emotions.