The Gift of the Moon | Teen Ink

The Gift of the Moon

March 25, 2015
By Anonymous

Run.  That is the only word that can go through James’s mind a at the moment.  Just the one simple word of run.  James tries to move,  but he can’t.  The crippling events that just unwound before him. James waits a second as he listens to the horrible sounds of his parents being mutilated. He can’t stand it anymore and slowly emerges from under the kitchen bar.
James turns to see the spined back of the creature who had slaughtered his parents and pumped their blood out of their veins.  The beast wriggles and squirms with every crunch.  James spares what is left of his sanity and blocks out the sound the best he can.  His feet make the wood beneath him protest with every step. He slowly turns the handle and pulls the door.  The more he tugs the more it creaks.   James turns his head to see if the beast noticed.  The creature seems a to have  moved to the left a little. James sits stunned at what he sees.  The beast seems to unfold its back and remove a long stinger.  It lingers in the air for a few seconds before rushing to the earth.  James could hear it the squishy surface that had to be one of his parents.  With tears rolling down his face James finishes opening the door and falls out.
James hits the ground and can’t get up.  His tears hit the earth and his body freezes.  A piercing screech comes from the street.  His body seems to reboot and he slowly turns to the house.  The creature lumbers out of the room. It scraping the walls on the way out. The stinger slowly goes back into the body and the spikes seem to sink in after it.  The head goes from side to side as it scans for any full fleshed remains. The mouth of the over sized bug falls and a slow series of clicks come out.  James let out a small screech and the creature is looking right at him. There is a slight second of wait and then the creature darts toward him.  It breaks through the door going into the kitchen and leaves a massive hole where it came through.  It is at the back door in seconds.  It goes flying into the hole,  but it isn’t big enough.  The brick walls keep the beast at bay,  but for how long.
James’s survival instinct kicks in, and he does the first thing he can think of.  He runs.  He hits the fence with a full on sprint.  James jumps like he had never done before.  His hands get a good enough grip that he can pull himself over with little hesitation.  The moment he is over, he sprints to the next fence.  James jumps,  but doesn’t quite make it.  His hands graze the top, but the sweat on them makes him slip.   He hits the ground right as a burst of sound erupts from behind him.  The back door of the neighbors house opens just a crack.  A small beam of light hits James.  His neighbor beacons him in.  James does not so much as hesitate. He enters the house without a thought of what will come after.  The door slams right as the heavy footsteps grow closer. 
The neighbors stare at James.  They had a few kids, but as James looks around the room he sees only pictures of them. The actual kids are nowhere to be seen.  James looks into the mans face,  but his expression gives it all away.  The kids were gone.  The woman finally speaks the first words, “Where are your parents?”
James looks at her with teary eyes as his adrenaline rush slowly turns into a sea of misery and agony.  His heart seems to miss a beat.  He opens his mouth to speak,  but nothing comes out.  Just silence. He doesn’t have to say a word.  She knows what happened.  She gets up and walks over to the window, and peels back the curtain just a hair to see what was going on with the beast,  but it seems to have disappeared. The woman slowly closes the curtain and proceeds to check the others.  As she makes her rounds James finally says a low and stuttered “Thank you.”  The man looks at him and nods.   No words were used.  None were needed.
As the woman begins to settle down James could see the sadness in her face.  Not just her either.  Her husband looked cracked and broken like someone had torn him open and left only an empty shell.  The room was still like the aftermath of a bomb when the lady looked to James and said “I don’t know how long you can stay here.”
The man quickly looks up.  “Andria!”
“I am serious.  Does it look like we have a lot of food to be throwing around?”
“Does it look like he has somewhere to go?  You saw how close that was out there a few seconds ago.  Who is to say that that won’t happen again?”
Andrias voice starts to grow with intensity “Who is to say that I want to starve because we decided to share?”
There is a moment of silence.  James squirms in his seat.  With the events he just saw he can’t handle going back outside.  He raises his head.  His eyes still wet with tears. “Just let me stay until the morning.  I at least want to be able so see what is behind me.”
Andria raises her voice as loud as she can. “Why would that matter to me?  All I care about is my husband.  With no kids and no sound of my parents I don’t care about you.”
A sound comes from the left side of the house.  A thump.  Another thump.  Finally a loud crash.  James doesn’t wait to see what horror is coming around the corner.  He bolts to the door and only turns back to see a stinger fall to the earth.  The sound of a squish and a single scream cut through the once silent night.  Andria screams and screams until it is cut.  It was there and then there was silence. The air waits for another spasm of sound, but only gets the cracking of bones and the modulation of flesh. 
James runs to the front of the yard cutting around the side of the house.  A large hole is there.  In the center you could see the curtains that used to hang over the window.  James continues into the front yard.  The street is empty,  but he can hear the screams of the forsaken in their final bloody moments. 
A fire erupts over the back of the house he just left.  The beast must have broken a gas line while it ripped through the house.  A series of clicks comes from the house and finally across the street comes a loud screech that tears the night in two.  James turns to see the large beast cutting through the fire like it was nothing.  It comes lumbering out of the house.  It’s head turning from side to side looking for prey, but then the head stops.  The creature looks at him with four unblinking eyes.  The long, sharp legs are covered with a fresh coat of blood.
James runs, but the creature is right after him.  He runs as fast as he can, but the creature is gaining on him.  James makes it to a street corner.  There is a small coffee shop shop and inside he could maybe get away.  Get in and head out the back.  The beast would be slowed.  James could make it.  He gets to the door and tries to open it.  Locked.  He tries to break the window.  He can hear the creature behind him now.  The legs make metallic noises on the broken concrete.  James turns to see the face looking right at him.  A light blue fluid comes out of it’s mouth.  It glows a bit and falls onto the ground.  The creature has him cornered.  It moves toward him one foot.  Now james gets a good look at it.  It has four blue eyes.  No pupils.  Just blue.  The mouth is just a gaping hole,  but there are four little appendages on  it’s face that have sharp lines of teeth. 
The creature moves from side to side.  It knows that he is cornered and begins to play with him like a cat and a mouse.  It moves it’s leg towards his feet. James pulls back.  It puts its other leg towards him.  James quickly moves his foot.  The creature stops moving slow enough to dodge and sticks its sharp claw like leg through James’s foot.  He lets out an ear deafening scream.  The creature is no longer playing around and it begins to unfold its back.  James stands up to be as close to the creature as he can.  His foot screams in protest, but when James dies he wants to die where he can be seen.  He is a bit shaky, but his feet stay strong.  The creature takes the stinger and thrusts it forward,  but James quickly dodges it and the coffee shop window breaks. 
James takes the moment and goes through the window.  He has his legs through window.  He is almost clear, but the creature is too fast.  It raises the stinger and strikes James right in the shoulder.  James falls to the ground.  Glass shards stuck in his hands.  He feels a pain like no other in his back.  He begins to feel light headed.  He hears a car coming.  It rumbles up the street and stops suddenly.  The creature removes the stinger and turns.  James hears gunshots, and a loud thump. Someone is trying to talk to him, but he can’t make out what they are saying.  His mind is starting to go blank.  His body is shutting down.  A man turns him over and looks him in the eyes.  His uniform coated in a blue liquid.  James fades.  His life coming to an end.  He fades into oblivion.