The Leaking Brain | Teen Ink

The Leaking Brain

March 9, 2015
By JoyceJoycie BRONZE, Toronto, Other
JoyceJoycie BRONZE, Toronto, Other
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you do it right, once is enough."


The Leaking Brain
Nilin flinched as she gingerly stepped through yet another pile of rotting garbage, food, and who knew what else that came into the sewers.
“You still there, sister?” Edge inquired.
“Yes. And stop calling me sister. I can be other things, but not your sister.” Nilin shot back.
Edge laughed. “Calm down, Nilin. We used to call each other that, remember? Brother, sister.”
“Yeah, well, not anymore.”
“Alright then down to business. You remember Bad Request, right?”
“You think I’m dumb or something? Of course!”
“Yeah, well, after Memorize disassembled us, Bad Request went off the grid. I’ve found him now in Slum 14. Now, no constitution will give us protection, not even the Bill of Rights will keep Memorize from corroding even the most basic rights of the people of Neo-Paris.”
“Cool. Bad Request, he’s got a restaurant or something, yeah? It was called- Oh yeah, it was called The Leaking Brain.”
“Poetic, is it not?” Edge said with a sigh.
“Quite.” replied Nilin, colder than a glacier.
“Well, I sent the location to your Core.”
“Alright then, I’m on it.” Nilin said, ending the call.
    Finally, Nilin saw the exit to the sewer and felt a surge of relief. I was starting to think I wasn’t going to get out of here! Nilin thought as she rushed towards the exit.
    As she stepped out into Slum 13, a sudden rush of information started flowing into her Core.
Monkey-
Banana-
Eiffel Tower-
    And as soon as it started, the information flow stopped. Well, this is gonna be interesting. Nilin thought amusedly as she didn’t fail to notice the mile high sign for The Leaking Brain.
    As Nilin stepped into the dimly-lit restaurant, she was lifted off her feet in a bear hug by a man almost double her size.
    “Nilin! Not too bad for someone who just got reincarnated.” bellowed the man who was without doubt, the one they called Bad Request.
    “Get off, Bad Request,” said Nilin while pushing him off, “Just because I’m back from the dead doesn’t mean we’re gonna start anything intimate that we didn’t finish.”
    “Dang girl, you is cold.”
    “What. Did. You. Say?”
    “Uh- I was saying that your combat suit is ready for you in the back, Madame.”
    “That’s more like it.”
    Five minutes and a few curses later, Nilin was finally fitted into her combat which consisted of a white jacket that went to her stomach, a mahogany shirt, skin-tight jeans, and knee boots with orange bottoms. And perhaps the most interesting piece in the outfit was the sleek black glove on her left hand. As Bad Request explained, this was the glove that would permit Nilin to alter, or “remix” memories of other people next to her. Talk about stylish. Nilin thought admiringly. She was just about to walk out of the door when all of a sudden, a blade was pressed up to her throat.
    “Well, well, well. Seems like I’ve found you, little colonizer of memories!” the female voice exclaimed.
    Nilin gulped. I guess there’s only one way out of this. Nilin thought remorsefully. She looked over and could already see the strands of raw memories coming out of the glove, waiting to break free. Well, at least no one’s dying this time. Nilin thought consolingly to herself as she raised the glove.