Cloudless Night | Teen Ink

Cloudless Night

March 14, 2015
By bjc040197 GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
bjc040197 GOLD, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment

It was a cloudless night. Nothing blocked the view of the stars or the two moons above. The largest one glowed a dim blue. The other, a bright silver. Usually, Jonathan would take advantage of a perfect night like this and simply lay down in the grassy fields, staring up into space. While indeed he was staring up into the night sky, it was not for pleasure. No, this night he was searching for any signs of the Alliance.
This planet, Messis, a simple farming world, was recently liberated from Alliance rule. Jonathan was one of the many people to help fight for their freedom. After nearly a month, they were successful but they knew that the Alliance wouldn’t give up one of their worlds so easily. That was why Jonathan was out here. For nearly a week, he had been staring up at the sky, searching the infinite black for any signs of the Alliance. Some among the rebels were convinced that the Alliance wouldn’t bother with a simple farming world like theirs, but Jonathan knew better. The Alliance needed  to take this world back. If they didn’t, then every other world would see this as a sign of their weakness and rebel as well, thus destroying the Alliance.
The sun was just starting to rise when Jonathan noticed something peculiar. High above in the dying night sky, he saw several shooting stars. Curious, he picked up his scoped rifle and aimed it at the shooting stars. They weren’t shooting stars of course. They were pods, and they were heading straight for the surface.
Jonathan quickly pulled out his radio and informed the others. He was then on his hoverbike and shooting down the fields long before the sirens filled the air with their screams and the loud thump of anti-aircraft guns blasted upwards. He drove at full speed towards the city of New Hope. When the peaks of its skyscrapers started to peak over the horizon, he quickly swerved to the left and darted towards the old comms station. He knew that they Alliance intended to take out all communications and defenses first before striking the city.
His radio was still on and he heard the horrors of war shout through it. He drove as fast as the bike would let him until the outline of the comms station materialized in front of him. He dared a quick glance at the sky and saw ten pods descending quickly in balls of fire. One crashed in front of him and out of it came an Alliance marine dressed in a bulky Power Suit. Jonathan didn’t slow and rammed his bike directly into the marine. The poor sod was sent flying and landed face down into the dirt, unmoving. Another pod crashed down to his left and its occupant fired a burst into the side of Jonathan’s hoverbike. Jonathan lost control and hopped off the bike as it flew into the earth, shattering its worn frame.
Dazed and confused, Jonathan quickly shook himself  out of it and skittered towards his rifle just a few feet away. He wasn’t fast enough. His hand only a few inches away, the bulky hand of a Power Suit closed about his head.
“Where ya think yer goin’, boy?” the gruff voice of his holder said.
Jonathan felt completely helpless as he was swung around to face his enemy. He saw the cruel looking helmet of his captor, eyes glowing in a menacing purple. Though he couldn’t see his face, Jonathan imagined that he was ugly just like every other Alliance pig…
“Well I was off to see your mother,” Jonathan replied cheekily, clutching at the other’s huge hand, “But it looks like you beat me to it!”
“Funny boy, huh?” the marine growled, “You won’t be laughin’ much after I squeeze your brains out…”
Jonathan screamed as he felt the hand close tighter about his cranium. He could feel it squeeze tighter and tighter…
Suddenly, a bullet pierced through the marine’s chest. He dropped Jonathan and quickly swiveled around to face his assailant. It was a man, barely older than twenty, holding a rifle like Jonathan’s. The marine tried to aim his assault rifle but the kid was quicker. He fired another round, this time through the marine’s head. The great, armored body shuddered and then collapsed to the ground. Jonathan stared at the body and then at the kid. The kid lowered his rifle and gave a salute towards Jonathan before he ran towards the comms station. Jonathan responded with a nod and quickly followed him, grabbing his rifle.   


The author's comments:

Hey everybody. This here is a simple story of a few rebels who have liberated a simple farmering colony from the cruel rule of the Alliance. Jonathan, our protagonist, is out on lookout when he spots a few enemy droppods descending towards the surface. It is obvious that the Alliance seek to reclaim this world.