The Lost Man | Teen Ink

The Lost Man

By ThoamsB BRONZE, Seattle, Washington
ThoamsB BRONZE, Seattle, Washington

I remember when I was a boy,  my mother and father were killed by an avalanche. How I know this, I don’t know. For the last 15 years I have been living in this paradise. In this paradise it’s a warm 80 degrees and there are all sorts of plants and animals all over the place. I’m alone though, meaning that is there are no other humans, but the animals are very friendly and always want to play. There are only two odd things that I've noticed, the first is, that I have been living here for 15 years and I have never HAD to eat. The second is that there is a big white stone staircase that leads straight up. It looks like it levels off for a little while and then seems to  continue going up. One day I’ll go up there, but what is better than a paradise where you don’t have to eat? One day, I was sitting by a big tree looking at the spot of the staircase that leveled out and I could of sworn I saw a figure that looked like a human. I said to myself,
“No, I would have seen them… I do sleep at night maybe they went up at night…?”
and with that curiosity I walked up this staircase, walking without tiring, without getting hungry. It took around five days to get to the spot that leveled out. Stopping and looking at this big metal box that took up the whole path so there was no way around it, it kinda looked like a shipping container but had a door on it that looks like it belonged on a ship. Looking around and not seeing the person that I could have sworn was up here, I sat down against the box. I began to think of the paradise that I left below, “sun rays shining through the trees onto the grass, the crystal clear river that ran through the trees and  into a lake that had all sorts of fish in it. The foxes that would always play fetch with me, when I would throw an apple off to the side.” I started to miss what I had left, deciding to head back down I got back up. But as soon as I took the first step down, the door to the big metal box opened up with a loud growling sound, the sound that things make if they haven't been opened for a long time. I stopped, and turned around in fear, and peered into the darkness that was inside of this box. Wondering if the person that I had seen went into there, I shouted,
“HELLO, IS ANYONE THERE!?!”
but there was no reply. Wondering what was in the box I started walking towards it slowly just in case something came out of it to attack me. Once I got inside my eyes started to adjust to the darkness that was inside of the box, the only thing that I could see was an outline of a human figure, once again I said,
“Hello”
this time the figure replied in a very smooth calm voice
“You must atone for all your wrongs”
“My wrongs? what are you talking about?” I said with a confused look.
The figure didn't say any thing else and all that it did was gesture towards a button that I hadn't seen.
“What does that do?” I said as I slowly approached the figure trying to see who or what it was but it stepped back into the darkness and disappeared, leaving me with more questions than answers.
“Atone for my wrongs”, I said to myself as I looked down at this bution.
Standing there with only the light from the open door coming in I thought to myself  “that time when I got drunk with friend? Or that time me and my buds got high?”
“Naaa”, I said out loud.
I thought “I wonder what my wrongs are, or what that guy meant by them” as I placed my hand on the button.
Pressing the button the whole box filled with light and the door slammed shut, feeling as if all space and time had stopped existing, I stood there in fear thinking,
“Am I going to die? What's going on?” 
In what looked like the distance, there seemed to be something coming at me. Squinting, trying to make it out, I saw that it was me as a kid beating up this other kid. Instantly I remembered that fight. It was over something so stupid, just because he took my juicebox. I thought to myself
“I was selfish…”
In the corner of my eye, I saw another thing and squinting to see it, it was when I cheated on my girlfriend and slept with her sister.
“I wasn't loyal…”
The last thing that caught my attention was right behind me, it was right before my mother and father died. I was yelling at them and saying that they knew nothing and that I was always right.
“I didn't honor my parents…”
I started to cry missing my mother and father realizing that the last things I said to them was that I hated them and never wanted to see them again. Falling to my knees shouting, “I’M SORRY!!!”. With tears running down my face, the light disappeared and another door opened letting light into the box again. Wiping the tears off and getting back up I started walking towards the door. When I got outside of the door, I realized that I was on the other side of the box. To my left there was a mirror, and looking into the mirror I realized that I was much older than I used to me, but I stilled had my black hair and blue eyes and was still about 5 feet and 7 inches tall. This was the first time in 15 years that I had seen my self. Looking to my right at the rest of the staircase I realized that there was no turning back now so I continued to the top. As I reached the top of the stairs I saw what looked like a man but was far out of my comprehension, my mind could only see it as light itself, this Light said,
“You have finally repented for all your wrongs ”
As soon as I heard its voice I fell to my knees. Trying to speak, I realized that there were no words coming from my mouth, even though my lips were moving. The Light continued to speak to me in a booming voice that sounded like thunder,
“Your mother and father repented as soon as they got here.”
As soon as the Light said that, my mother and father stepped from the light. But the Light wasn't finished.
“You must have eaten the apples, they make it so your path is unclear”
Forcing myself up, struggling to run towards the light and my parents,  I realised that I had died in that avalanche with my parents. As soon as I remembered this my mother said
“Welcome home son”
and my father was standing next to her with a smile that I had never seen on his face before. As I ran towards them, the 15 years that had passed reversed themselves. Once I got into their arms I was a kid again, no older than 18. That was my journey into the heavens and that was how I was lost for all of time.