Mother Nature | Teen Ink

Mother Nature

By Insidemymind123 GOLD, Kent, Washington
Insidemymind123 GOLD, Kent, Washington

The constellations revealed it the second she was born. The prophecy was written in the stars. The stars and all the planets danced effortlessly knowing she would  be the change they had been waiting for. The young girl was born to the richest family in the village but that would curse her not bless her. She was to serve a greater purpose; she was to be born without desire. Without the desire to need materialistic things, and common human necessities. The only thing she would desire is what every living creature yearns for, love. Love for something or someone that would love her just as equally. This girl would be different and the change needed to create the bridge of nature and man.
The cries of an infant could be heard a mile away along with the hushing of a new mother.
“She’s beautiful,” said her mother as she held her bundle of joy closely to her chest.
“Indeed she is,” said the midwife who just delivered the child.
The young girl was alluring; her warm olive skin was as silky as velvet. Her hazel eyes were so deep, one drowned in starting at them, her dark chestnut hair was soft and curly placed perfectly on her head. Her lips were a natural rose color shaped like a cupid’s bow and her smile was mesmerizing. The young baby’s eyes wandered all over the place discovering the world she had just entered.  Her mother cradled her softly with a smile and whispered this,
“I shall call her, Gaia.” And so the prophecy began.
         Ten years had passed and Gaia was now at the young age of blossoming and discovering. She was provided with everything she needed and more. But there were things even money couldn’t buy such as her parent’s attention or love. Gaia was a little girl in a huge mansion with the best of every cook, maid, and toy. Yet she was still lonely. Her parents were complete strangers to her. The man and woman who gave birth to her were strangers. She had a stronger relationship with her nanny. Only on special occasions or rare days would she see her parents or have dinner with them. But even then she was alone. Today was the rare occasion of seeing her parents. Gaia and her parents were seated at the dining table; it stretched across the room and was long and narrow. At one end was her father at the other end was her mother and she sat in the middle. All ate quickly and quietly. Gaia could only leave when she asked to be excused, but at times when she wasn’t hungry she would just stare at her parents. Gaia saw the resemblance of herself in her mother and father. She had her mother’s deep hazel eyes and dark chestnut hair. She had her father’s small button nose and soft features. But though she resembled her parents she sometimes saw them as strangers. From what she gathered a mother was supposed to be sweet, caring and maternal. She was supposed to teach her how to act like a young lady and inspire her to be a strong woman. But instead her mother was a cold being who only spoke to Gaia when she needed to something. Her father was just the same, he didn’t even deserve to withhold the title of a father. A father was supposed to be her knight and shining armor and provide for her. She was supposed to be daddy’s little girl and he was supposed to be the most important man in her life. But instead her father just saw Gaia as just as another mouth to feed. Her father has never even said I love you to his little girl or looked into her eyes. Somehow all of these emotions Gaia felt inside could only be forgotten when she went to her safe place.
“Mother Father, May I be excused?” Gaia said in a small voice.
“Yes, go ahead,” both said not even looking at Gaia.
So Gaia stood up and rushed to her safe place, outside. Gaia ran to the backyard that was more than 3 acres and was covered with trees. Gaia took a deep breath and ran in the grass covered with leaves of various colors. Overfilled with joy because of all that was around her Gaia forgot about everything else. Soon even the trees and nature itself were filled with the joy the young girl felt.
“Dance for me,” Gaia whispered and the leaves began to perform like twirling ballerinas until they landed softly on the ground.
“Sing for me,” she whispered and the wind began to sing a tune so sweet that all that heard it began to be controlled by the beat.
“Tell me a story,” she whispered and all the creatures that were performing stopped and everything was quite.
The trees began to bend over and whispered this,” Come close, oh sweet for we shall tell you the tale of your destiny, Mother Nature.”
An so the prophecy began but the tale of how Gaia became mother nature is a tale for another day.