A Dream Within A Dream | Teen Ink

A Dream Within A Dream

January 21, 2015
By hailey.dew BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
hailey.dew BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


I open my eyes and all I see is black. I’m lying on a hospital bed and am sweating like I just ran a marathon. “Hello” my voice echoes off the walls, it seems as if there’s no one else in the hospital. I get up; I’m in a hospital robe, what the heck is going on here. Last I remember I was in my room listening to Flume, lying on my bed sketching my dog, while she stares back at me licking her paw, and then, nothing. I wish she were here with me, it smells like iron and old milk, making me want to throw up.  As I sit up on the bed, and I look around, wow, this room is small. I think there’s a flickering blue light in the hallway. I stand up and walk over to the door and halfway realize how wet, and cold the floor is. I can’t see very well, but I manage to the door.
I grabbed the handle to the door, and opened it to see a long hallway with hospital beds scattered and very light flickering blue lights down it. I see a figure, just down the hallway, a person!! “Hey!’ I exclaim, as I say that it echoes off of the hallway. The person turns around, and starts running towards me. I felt a shock go through my whole body with extreme fear. The way the person running is so fast and like their drunk. I then turned around and started to run as fast as I could, as I turned my head, I see there barely only ten feet away. As I look back to the opposite side of the hallway I figure out that I’m not going anywhere. I turn back around and it’s a man, in a bloody gown with a monster of a face jumping at me. I freeze, and close my eyes, hearing the sound of an alarm. Echoing off the walls getting louder and louder.
I then open my eyes to the sound of my alarm clock. Beep, beep, beep, beep, and beep! I’ve been crying and am sweating like crazy. I can’t believe how real that dream was. This is the fourth hospital dream I’ve had in a row, and I can’t figure out what it means, if it really means anything. I need to go to school, gosh, no, no, I’m going to be late. I get dressed, wearing my white and pink polka dotted dress with white stockings. Then let my curly dirty blonde hair out of my messy bun, and sprayed conditioner, to make it smooth and natural.
Slipping on black flats, and running out my bedroom door, only to find myself back into the hospital hallway, watching the blue lights flicker even faster. As I look back down the hallway, I see a figure. It’s the man! I think it’s the man! “No, no, no!” “Get away from me, why is this happening to me, go!” I practically scared myself more with the tone in my voice. He’s running, running towards me, again! I start trembling, I try to open my bedroom door, but it won’t budge. As I turn back, he’s only about 20feet away, and I realize that I’m trying to open a wall. The door is gone, and the man stopped running, stopping 15 feet away from me. He looked up and yelled “Chase!” From the hallway, behind the man, I see about 50 more people running towards me.
I remember being asked if I was fright or flight in a threatening situation. I took a moment to think about that question, because I wasn’t sure. I have to figure
out what I need to do. Calm down Cassidy. Think, think, I need to find a room, an opening, even if this is a dream, I need to set that thought aside. There is a hallway to my right that has a door at the end, with what it looks like, natural light. That’s where I’m going to go. They’re getting closer, so I start sprinting to the door. Pushing hospital beds behind me, to give me more time to get to the door. I’m getting closer; I keep my sprint, and tell myself that I won’t look back. I kept that thought, and didn’t turn around.
Though the sounds that the people were making behind me, made my heart beat even faster, so I started humming. Humming the first song that popped into my head. The song maps by the Yeah Yeah’s. I love that song; it reminded me of my parents and how much I wish they were here with me. I feel so scared, and alone. I need to focus; I’m only about 5 feet away from the door. As I hit against the door. I open it to find myself outside of the hospital. I shut the door behind me, and put a chain on the floor around it. It was so nice outside, the sun was shiny and there was a nice breeze. As I close my eyes and smell the air, something shoved me to the ground, making me hit my head on the ground. When I opened my eyes, everything was blurry, and there was a constant beeping pattern. My eyes start to focus on a face looking over me saying my name over and over again.
I find that my little sister Jenna was trying to wake me up. Thank goodness, it was a dream, within a dream. I’ve never had that before that was horrible. I hug her “thanks Jenna”. She looks at me with the weirdest confused face. Then says, “Well, your welcome”. I get why she seems so puzzled, its not like everyday I actually give her a hug or even say thank you. “You can get out now” She stares at me for about two more seconds, then finally walks out of my room, shutting the door behind her. She can be a pain, but I still love her. Her golden brown hair, and hazel eyes, makes me proud. Her beauty feels me with relief. I don’t want her to break the row of homecoming queen, which has run through generations of my family.
I get up, and take a shower, as I was, visions of the dream kept popping up in my head. I for one believe those crazy people who think that dreams can mean something, connecting to your life are right. That what you dream could actually happen to you in real life. It sounds crazy, but it has happened to people. Some crazy things have happened to people, that they’ve seen in a dream before it happened. The thought that something like that could actually happen to me, really scared me, so I stopped thinking about it.
Which wasn’t hard, due to the fact that I have a math test fourth period. All thoughts while I blow-dried my hair. I get dressed. Wearing a long, slim velvet sweatshirt with black leggings and white converse. Realizing that I’m going to be late for school, with my alarm already off. I grab my bag, and head downstairs, to find coffee and a warm toasted bagel. There are moments like this where I realize how much I love my mom. She does that every morning, and I’m thankful each day for that. I grabbed the coffee and bagel, and ran out the door, jumping into my silver jeep. It is so cold today, around the low fifties. It looks like Camry is calling. “Hey, where are you” with that tone, I can tell that she is upset, “Ill be there in ten”. “You know were going to be late, right” she assures, “Yes, I get it, give me ten.” I remind her. “Fine, whatever” Camry says annoyed. Five more minutes, I'll be there.

My coffee is still too hot to drink, and I have no trace of make up. The light is red, so I get out my mascara, set down the mirror, and apply. The lights green, good thing that’s done. “Thank the lord, you’ve made it, I’m only about wrinkly, fat, and old now, but whatever” Camry yells as I pull up to her house. “Hey I already told you I was sorry, so lets just forget it” I say as she gets in the car. “Look, I’m sorry, just having a bad morning. “How’s yours” Camry probably has the biggest mood swings I’ve ever seen, she could be loving and sweet one minute, then your worst enemy. Though I still love her, she’s been my best friend since 6th grade. She’s very pretty, with tan skin, light brown hair, and golden brown eyes. “My morning was actually really weird, I had that craziest dream” I just maybe exaggerated. “ That is weird, hey did you study for the math test.” “No, I looked over the notes last night, but that’s it.” We both laughed as if it were the funniest thing. “This is not good, report cards are coming out soon, I’m going to be grounded for life if I fail math, or any other subject,” Camry said seriously. “Look at my notes, I have the study guide in the white folder.” Letting her know she can use them. “Gosh, you’re a lifesaver, thank you so much” she shouts getting the study guide. Camry had about fifteen minutes to study before we had to go to first period. Having to sprint to class, to actually make it on time, sitting down right as the late bell rang. Science is first period with Mrs. Langer, she is a very interesting lady, I’d say around her forties, not the prettiest person, but very sweet. Science was so boring, I was so happy when the bell rang to end the period.
Camry and me walk out into the hallway to find Brooke and Jesse belle, the funniest two I’ve ever known. “Hey ladies” Brooke said in a pervertic voice followed by “how’s it going” from Jesse belle. Camry and I look at each other and start laughing, walking over to them. “ Hey, its going good” followed with “to be out of Mrs. Langer’s class, that’s for sure” from Camry. “Ugh, is it really that bad” Brooke whines, “It is worse” Camry states. “ Well, we will see you gems later,” Camry tells Brooke and Jesse belle, as we head over to second period, which is P.E. Our P.E. teacher is Mr. Leen, and he loves to torture us with exercise. I for one believe that we should have a voice, a choice to not participate in P.E. As I tried to explain that to Mr.Leen, he frowned at me, and said, “Your voice was heard, but that’s not going to happen.” Then we did suicides up and down the field for the whole period. Camry was practically leading everyone, while I was in the back, panting, and turning as red as a tomato. We had about five minutes to change in the locker room, and for my face to turn normal.
As second period finally ended, Camry and me went over to see Jaimey and Jewel, for they’re in our third period, Language arts, with Mr. Cane. Before we went to class, we just hung out by the lockers, talking about what were going to wear for the upcoming winter fair. It happens every year in our town in Connecticut. Until the bell rang, the ring of it hurts my ears; and gave me a bad headache. As it rang, I felt like it was shocking my brain. “Wow, owww!” “What’s wrong?” Jewel asks. “ The bell gave me this bad headache” I reply, rubbing my head as we walk over to English. “Lets ditch?” Jaimey says, proudly. “No!” I tell her, while were already in the classroom. “Were going to get caught, and we are learning about what colleges will
be expecting. I’m determined to leave this classroom with the most knowledge of how to present myself to whatever college I choose to go to.” “Alright, whatever, but don’t wake me during my nap.” “Don’t worry, we won’t,” I say as we all take a seat at our desks. While Mr. Cane enters the room. “All right class, today we will be discussing-“ Wow, you never realize how boring something could possibly be, until you’ve actually sat a period through Mr. Canes English class. Thank goodness there are only 15 more minutes left of class.
“Cassidy, Cassidy?” asks Mr. Cane. “Yes” “ May you grab textbooks for each table in the to cupboard. “ “Yes, I may. ” “Thank you,” he replies, and then starts talking gibberish. I get up to grab the handlebars to the cabinet, and open them. Only to get chemical formed powder falling out of a bucket onto me. The science rooms don’t have a ton of space to put things, so they’ll stash it in other rooms. That explains the chemicals, but it shouldn’t have fell so easy. It’s but a mystery. The bucket hits my head making me pass out, and get a concussion. While some of the chemical got in my eye, and is stings so bad. Then, everything is black. I hear the rustling of voices, my mother, father, Camry, and grandma. I don’t know really who or what it is, I try to open my eyes. Though my vision is very blurry, where I can only make out a ceiling with blue flickering lights. As I look at myself, I’m in a hospital bed. I close my eyes to tell myself it’s not real, but it’s too much to take in, so I close my eyes. Opening my eyes again and all I see is black.