Hardening and Disolving | Teen Ink

Hardening and Disolving

By TheBassist SILVER, Syracuse, New York
TheBassist SILVER, Syracuse, New York

"Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality." -Edgar Allan Poe

"I can't do this anymore! My head won't stop hurting and my heart won't either. it's like nobody ever grows up!" She said, storming into the small mahogony office. The only man in the room looked up from his desk though there was nothing on his desk to be looking at, not even a pen.

"Please go on." He said gesturing to the chair opposite him but she ignored it and started pacing. 

"How long do you expect us to fight through this? How many decades will we waste trying to do the right thing before you decide that's enought and we can leave? Everything hurts. We're trying, I'm trying so hard to change things. Trying to take humanity out of it's endless loop. It's like a skipping record, There are only so many times you can tolerate it." She paused and looked up at him. He looked back. She waited a moment longer for a response and then continued her rant.

"So many people are stuck... and they don't even realise it! Our history repeats itself. I've been told that a lot. But the people who tell me don't even realise that they are repeating too. I wanted to help! All I ever thought about doing was was showing them you. But nothing ever changes. No one ever moves." She paused again and this time he shifted. Encouraged she continued, "Blood will be spilt again and again. It's getting so bad we can't even drain the streets fast enough for the next batch. They're oblivious to what it really is. It's acknoledged. The think on it but motives don't shift." She stopped with her hands on her hips, facing the wall near the floor where spiders might collect if this room were ever dirty. "People don't change."

The tall figure behind the desk rose, rebottoned his suit jacket and took in a long breath. His eyes were filled with emoution though maybe not the emoution you would expect. He moved to stand next to her, looking at the same small spot in the same small corner.

The silence suspended until finally he scratched the air with a gentil voice. "You did."

The tiny girl stared at him in shock until her aura melted and she sobbed the pain into his shoulder. He held her and they swayed until she changed back.