A Fighting Chance | Teen Ink

A Fighting Chance

By JoyceJoycie BRONZE, Toronto, Other
JoyceJoycie BRONZE, Toronto, Other

"If you do it right, once is enough."

Nilin crinkled her nose in disgust as the dissected leaper gave off an acrid smell which she undoubtedly recognized as formaldehyde. As she stood up, she subconsciously rubbed her hands on her clothes, smearing the leper’s blood all over.

“Oh boy.”
As Nilin attempted to somehow clean off the blood she suddenly saw a gang of lepers emerge out of the tunnel she had just staggered out of. And suddenly, Nilin heard a roar so loud her knees buckled. The leapers laughed their repulsive laugh that only they knew how to do.

“Listen, Johnny’s hungry.” One of the leapers remarked.

“Methinks we gotta feed ‘im then, unless you don’t remember Jackie.” Another one shot back.

And all of a sudden, the leapers all charged at Nilin. As Nilin romped around the sewers, her mind was suddenly overwhelmed with a memory.

Hmph, this is too easy!
    Nilin, don’t get too cocky. you never know what might happen.
    Edge, calm down. It’s not like they’re gonna be catching me anytime soon.
    Just be careful.
    Sure, whatever you say.

Nilin gasped. She suddenly remembered some of her basic fighting techniques. There wasn’t much, but it was a start. As Nilin started dishing out some attacks, she felt a surge of adrenaline. The leapers were starting to slow down! This gave her renewed strength and soon after, the last one was rolling on the ground, almost unconscious but not yet so Nilin decided to give him a little surprise.

“Hey, leaper. What do Memory Hunters give to leapers?”
“I dunno. Memories?”
“No. A knuckle sandwich!”

As Nilin walked away with her battered body, she muttered to herself: “Well, time to find Johnny.”

This story is a retelling of the storyline of the video game Remember Me.