The Future is Now | Teen Ink

The Future is Now

By Sarem Fransua BRONZE, STONE MOUNTAIN, Georgia
Sarem Fransua BRONZE, STONE MOUNTAIN, Georgia

One day Billy decided that he would just obey his parents and take out the trash even though it was 9:00 at night. He acted brave about it but on the inside he was terrified about what creped outside waiting for him to just take a few steps away from comfort. He started tip-toeing but eventually became a man and walked the rest of the way. On his way back to the house he saw a mysterious green gleaming light in the bushes. Curiously, he wandered over to the light. As he got closer and closer the warmer the air felt and the more thick the air became. Once he made it to the green light he found out it was just a ring with a green jewel on it. Billy didn’t think twice about putting the ring on so he immediately put the ring on and almost instantly he saw nothing but a white light.

When Billy opened his eyes the first thing he saw was a guy with a blue stripped Mohawk and a girl with purple bangs hovering above her blue eyes. “He’s awake” said the girl. “Yes I see that sis” replied the boy. There was something about their voices that sounded almost weird to Billy. Billy asked, “Where am I?” “You are in the future” said the boy with no expression at all. That’s when Billy realized what was going on. Not only was he in the future but he noticed that these people were robots. He could tell by the feel of their cold metal hands and their raspy monotone voices. He looked around to see what looked like a hospital but it was much larger, almost like a surgery room with all the materials and other supplies. Billy rapidly got up and ran towards a window. He looked down and saw nothing but white puffy clouds. He looked at the robots which were looking at him with no expression. They said in unison, “Please relax, the doctor will be here for you soon.” Billy didn’t listen to them; he ran out the door and sprinted towards the elevator. He tried the buttons but they didn’t work. When Billy turned around he saw the robots following him at a really fast pace. He decided to go for the stairs which were rickety and beat up. He didn’t take any notice to it and ran faster than he ever ran before. Billy was wearing a heavy coat and jeans which made it even harder to run so he ripped off his coat with almost superhuman strength and sprinted on. He didn’t look back because he was too frightened to see the two robots right behind him so he kept running down the stairs. It felt like hours because it really took him one hour to get to the bottom floor. Billy risked a look back which showed him that the robots were not too far away but were getting slower. Billy finally reached the front door and busted out only to realize that there were hundreds of more robots waiting there for him. “Please relax, the doctor will be here for you soon” all the robots said in unison. Billy was ready to fight his way through the mob when a man in a white tuxedo comes up to him.

He didn’t look like the robots at all. He had a white beard, he was bald and he had a very strong scent of oil. “Wow someone is anxious to get away from here” said the man jokingly. “Who are you” asked Billy. The man responded, “I am the doctor these robots are referring to and you are wondering, what kind of future is this? Well I am here to tell you. First of all, back where you came from the government was secretly making a plan for a utopian society. The idea rampantly expanded around the world which caused everyone to want to be a part of it. Their idea of a perfect society was that everyone should have their own personal robot which does all their personal items and based on what you might see here you might think that the robots took over.” Billy nodded. “Well actually these robots are the people. Everyone wanted a robot that could do anything through rain, mud, snow, or anything in between. This required the material Ponerax to be invented. Ponerax is a material that has side effects to humans if touched. Unfortunately, everyone was desperate enough to get one. The side effects to the material were that your brain cells would transmit every bit of everyone’s memories. This will cause the person to forget how to talk, eat, or even breathe. This caused everyone to die but all their memories are stored inside each robot.” said the doctor. “How are you still alive?” asked Billy. The doctor responded, “I am the only one who knows how Ponerax works and how to evolve it to make it safer. This caused me to outlive the rest of humanity.” “Why are you telling me this?” asked Billy. “Wow, aren’t you full of questions. Well I need you to warn the entire world about this problem. Without you the entire future of the world could end up like this.” Billy somehow knew exactly what to do when he got back home. The doctor gave him the ring to send him back and just as instantly as before, Billy was transported back to exactly where he saw the green ring.

Billy walked into his house and wrote a letter to the president, to all of his friends, teachers, and family about the experience he had. After Billy told his parents, he went straight to bed because they thought he was seeing things. The last thought Billy had before he went to sleep were that’s what I get for doing my chores.

I was bored and decide to try something new.