The Cave | Teen Ink

The Cave

By Renzo Graham BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa
Renzo Graham BRONZE, West Des Moines, Iowa

It’s a sunny day in Marsala, a small Italian village in the mountains, and Alonzo Defrancisco is enjoying nature.  The mountains tower over the village and a small creek runs down the mountain to pool in the middle of their settlement.  The water does not go to waste and is used for many things.  The pool is divided by stone walls and people bathe, wash clothes, and play in it for fun.  They get their water for drinking upstream so that is more sanitary.  Alonzo decides to take a jaunt and take in the beauty of his surroundings.  The grass runs tall and the wildlife is teeming.  The air is filled with the song of many birds Not to sink into the mud from the river.  As he approaches the cave he notices just how big it is and wonders how it looked so small from the village.  He decides to go in and is careful not to step on stalagmites or hit his head on stalactites.  The cave stretches on for what seemed forever, until he finds a shimmer of gold.  He nears the gold to find it is just a piece of pyrite, or fool’s gold.  He looks up and notices that the cave actually has an abundance of it.  That’s when he saw it. A little, green creature that was hunched over. It seemed to be having a conversation with Alessandra and Alonzo crept closer to listen. 

“I didn’t know that you people ate things other than pyrite! That’s why I’ve kept my stash a secret all these years!” said the green creature.

“I didn’t know you could eat rocks!” exclaimed Alessandra.

“Well my stomach can’t handle much else. The only other thing is real gold which is kind of hard to come by. Although it is the best thing I’ve ever tasted.” said the dreaming green animal.

“I’m sorry to be rushing but my family is probably very worried about me and I think I need to head back to the village.” Alessandra said sadly.

“Well ok. But come back and see me sometime. And remember not to tell the secret.” said the animal.
“Your secret is safe. I didn’t catch your name though.” said Alessandra quickly.
“My name is Loy. Loy the goblin.”
“Goodbye Loy.”
“Goodbye Alessandra!”

After that Alessandra left and Alonzo sat there thinking what to do next. He could either go back to the village or go question the goblin.  He decided to go talk to the Goblin and see what he wanted with Alessandra. 

Alonzo stumbled through the cave to what looked like a lair and looked for Loy.  He found him eating his fools gold and thought he should just watch him for a while.  When Loy was done eating, which wasn’t done in a very formal manner, he wandered off to another room.  Alonzo followed trying to keep to the shadows and be as hushed as possible.  Alonzo found Loy sitting in a room reading some sort of ancient book that looked like it had a bunch of symbols.  Loy got up with the book and moved to another side of the room and a bright flash of light appeared.  Alonzo crept ever so softly to get a look and it looked like Loy made the light come out of his hand!  Loy was making weird movements with his hand and sparks seemed to come out when he said a certain word. If Loy had done it right apparently fire would come out! This seemed like a great discovery until Alonzo saw what he was shooting the fire at.  It was his dad, Mario.  Mario had been abducted four years ago and nobody had seen him since. 

This was Alonzo’s time to act.  He found a big rock and threw it behind Loy.  He then stalked behind Loy to take out his legs and pin him to the ground. Alonzo sat up with his legs on Loy’s arms and began the questioning.
“Why do you have my dad?! I’ve missed him so much… for four years!”

“Please get off and I will explain.  I can’t think clearly until I can breathe.” whispered Loy.
“Then you would just take advantage of me. There’s no way I will.” declared Alonzo.
“You have a goblin’s word. If a goblin breaks his word, then he will turn into a golden statue.” stated Loy.
Alonzo slowly let off of the goblin and was ready to pounce back at him at any second. 

“I did not abduct your dad for one. And he’s not very healthy right now.  I found him lying in the mountains with a troll bite.” said Loy.

“How many mythical creatures are there?” screamed Alonzo.
“The myths are all real but they just are experts of hiding.” explained Loy.
“So what is so bad about a troll bite then?” questioned Alonzo.
“They are highly poisonous to humans and put you in a deep sleep if you aren’t treated quickly. That’s why I’m trying to cast magic on him. I found him after an hour I think and it was too late at that point.  There is only one other thing that can save him.”  said Loy.

“Well?” asked Alonzo.
“You have to use the heart of a goblin.” said Loy defeated.
“Are there any other Goblins around here?” asked Alonzo.
“I’m afraid the only one is me.  If you like I will perform everything right now.” said Loy
“I don’t think I want to have you killed after all you have done for me.” said Alonzo.
At that moment Loy took out his heart, which was on his knee cap, and fed it to Mario. Loy fell to a heap on the ground, and Mario instantly woke up and was greeted with many hugs from Alonzo. 
“I’m so glad to see you Papa!” exclaimed Alonzo.
“I as well. Do you know what happened to me?” asked Mario.

“You were bitten by a troll and you went into a deep sleep. The only way to save you was for Loy, the goblin, to take his heart and feed it to you.”
“That’s kind of gross.” spat Mario.
“Well at least you’re ok.” said Alonzo.

Alonzo and Mario happily walked out of the cave together, but just then Loy started stirring and talking.

“I thought you took out your heart Loy!” shouted Alonzo.
“I did. they regrow every ten years and apparently I got lucky.” said Loy.
“Well I’m just glad you survived. Would you like to come back to the village and be celebrated?” asked Alonzo
“No. I can’t have my secret out or else I will be hunted.”

“Ok your secret is safe with me.  I’ll be heading back to the village now, but if you need anything just come talk to me.” said Alonzo
“I will.” said Loy

Mario and Alonzo walked out of the cave excited to celebrate Mario’s return.  The village seemed to be making a peculiar sound.

“Do you hear that beeping?” asked Alonzo.
“I don’t.” said Mario

Alonzo didn’t feel well at that moment.  His stomach started to hurt and he started to black out.  The world seemed to fade. Alonzo couldn’t feel his body. He tried to move but he couldn’t succeed.  Everything was going white and he fell to the ground.

He opened his eyes to a pure white room. There was that constant beeping again.  He sat up and was in some sort of bed with white sheets, and a bunch of machines hooked up to him.  What was this?  He tried to get up, but he felt very weak and could barely lift his arms. 

“Hello? Is there anybody here?” cried Alonzo.
Nobody answered. This was surely not anything in his village he thought.  He had never seen machines like this let alone the building structure.  Just then a woman dressed in white with a hat that had a plus on it came in. When she saw Alonzo her face went white. 

“Alonzo? You are awake!” cried the lady in white.

“Well yeah I’m awake. Why is that such a big deal? And where’s my family?” questioned Alonzo

“Honey do you not remember?” asked the lady in white.

“Remember what?” said Alonzo nervously.

“You have been in a coma for eight years.”