Beyond Comprehension | Teen Ink

Beyond Comprehension

By YukiNagato SILVER, Fredericksburg, Virginia
YukiNagato SILVER, Fredericksburg, Virginia

"The world is not beautiful; therefore, it is."
-Kino's Journey

Even without looking, I could feel the slight vibration of the weak ground, the small force of a little breeze in my face, and a few stray drops of mud fly up at me as her limp body hit the ground.

Then I made myself look at her.

She was completely drenched. Her hair was a tangled mess. Her clothes were ripped and muddy, and her bare arms and cheeks were laced with scratches that must have been from branches. She was still in a way that almost convinced me that she was no longer alive, but upon closer inspection, her shallow breaths could be seen through the slight rising and falling of her chest.

Had I done this to her?

How destructive.

My hand moved, almost on its own, until its fingertips rested on the back of her hand. I turned my head as I felt my energy leak out of my body, into hers. When I looked back, her scratches were gone, her clothes and hair were clean and dry, and she seemed much more at peace than she had before. Darker spots immediatly started to appear on her clothes again as the dying drizzle continued to rudely come down upon her. I drew my hand back to my side and gazed out at the soft, gray sky.

What am I doing here?

I was on a cliff edge. There was nothing but trees as far as I could see. It was raining. Nevertheless, it all seemed too still. Almost dead. The only ones there were that girl and I. What had brought me here? I felt myself looking at her again. I was sure that, if I thought hard enough, I'd remember her name. I'd known her, hadn't I? But what was she to me? An enemy? What was there besides enemies?

Yet, she didn't seem like an enemy. It didn't really matter either way. I'd known for a while that friends, enemies, family, all of those things, were only illusions created by the world and by the people living in it. But, even knowing this, I was somehow unable to erase the concepts from my mind. They lingered on.

Then I remembered another thing about myself, a single word.

Witch.

I could understand this. Maybe it was just as fictitious as the concepts of 'friends' and 'enemies', but it didn't seem like it. Not to me.

What am I doing here?

I thought this again. And I realized that I didn't even have an answer for myself.

I felt my eyes drooping, and began my struggle to stay awake. I'd been tired all of the time as of late. What was the cause of that?

I turned back to her. She was the same as before. I touched her hand again, and willed us away from the cliff and the drizzle that may have been picking up again, or may have been dying down. Then we were in a cave. It was one of my caves. It looked like it.

I released her and left her lying on the floor. I had intended to move away, but I was captured, entranced by just looking down at her, wondering why. Why didn't she seem like an enemy, when everyone was an enemy? If she wasn't an enemy, then who was she?

My vision blurred, my head spun, and I was unable to hold myself up any longer. I lay my head on the the ground and allowed my eyes to close.

Maybe I'd remember her when I woke up. 

When I was writing this, my goal was to create a mood of 'stoic confusion'.

Turns out I have no clue what 'stoic confusion' actually is.... 0.0