The Silver Skeleton Key Part 1 | Teen Ink

The Silver Skeleton Key Part 1

December 29, 2014
By _EffortlesslyShnazzy_ PLATINUM, Ooltewah, Tennessee
_EffortlesslyShnazzy_ PLATINUM, Ooltewah, Tennessee
24 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"If I waited until I felt like writing, I'd never write at all."


A series of shots rang out thought the air. I ducked, my breathing fast, as I pressed my side against the wall beside me, crouching in a tight ball.

"I know you're there Terra; I can smell you in the air." A loud voice growled into the empty warehouse.

I wrapped my arms around my legs in an effort to contain myself in the tiny space I occupied. I closed my eyes tightly, breathing shallowly.

How did he find me? How does he know my name? What does he want from me?

All these questions rushed through my mind, making me woozy as I crouched under the large, polished oak desk.

His voice dropped to a scary tone, raising goose bumps on my skin. "I don't have time for your childish games right now Terra. Surrender yourself or you're a very dead girl."

I gasped, tears silently trailing down my cheeks as I held my breath. My hand clasped the silver key hanging around my neck for comfort. The heavy footsteps clomped nearer until I could see the tips of his standard, black combat boots. I heard the sound of sniffs being taken, then the footsteps ceased. I willed myself to be invisible as I heard my pursuer load more clips into his handgun.

Suddenly the footsteps began again, thankfully in the opposite direction of me. I released the air I had been holding in the whole time, and as carefully and silently as I could, stretched upwards towards the edge of the desk, peeking over the top. There was no sign of my semi-familiar pursuer that had been chasing me for months. I cautiously inched forward until I could fully stand up, then stretched, my legs tingly for having been crouched so long. I moved to run away and as my foot made contact with the ground I heard several "tink tink" noises. I abruptly froze in surprise and looking down, saw that my foot had hit some scattered bullets. I gulped and proceeded to tread slower and more carefully than I had before, trying not to make any noise.

When I heard the soft, yet heavy breathing of someone other than myself, I knew my movements hadn't gone unnoticed. My feet moved on their own account as I rushed through the warehouse, my breath coming out in little pants. I risked a look behind me and almost screamed and fainted in fear. My chaser was built like a typical Tamarian warrior: broad shoulders, tall, muscular figure, with long shaggy hair resting atop his shoulders. But what frightened me the most was his face. Crooked, jagged scars that crisscrossed his tan, leathery skin marred his looks and his eyes were deep, hypnotizing pools of obsidian, so dark I had to look away for fear of getting pulled and trapped into his intense gaze; and his mouth was pulled down in a grimace, small, sharp teeth peeking through his parted lips. My legs trembled as I tore my gaze away from the fearsome warrior behind me, willing my legs to pick up speed.

The door was in sight, only a few feet away when I realized that I couldn't hear my pursuer’s footsteps anymore. I slowed down, warily looking behind me and blinked twice in confusion. He was gone . . . vanished.

That's odd. I thought to myself. He was behind me just a few moments ago. Maybe he just figured I wasn't worth his time?

I promptly felt more relaxed and turned back around to face the door. Bad mistake. . . Stormy black eyes and teeth the size of pocketknives greeted me, rotten breath hitting my face like a bucket of cold water. A strong, heavy hand gripped my arm as I tried to dash away. I struggled fugitively in his tight grip, my mouth opened in a silent scream, feeling the prick of a needle being stabbed into my arm, before everything went completely black . . .

A tapping noise awoke me and I tried to lift my hand to my head to try to ease the pain. My moves were sluggish, my muscles not having the energy to hold my head up and my hands were chained together. I eased my head back and opened my eyes to find two beady eyes staring me down from a few feet away. I yelped and scooted away in disgust. My four footed companion scampered away disappearing into a minute hole in the wall. That's when I took notice of where I was.

All around me the walls were dark and covered with a dark substance. I inched closer to take a closer look and that when the smell hit me. A dulled, coppery, musty smell attacked my senses. I gaged, turning my face away to take a deep breath. It looked and smelled like blood, a few months old. I scanned my confines once more and came to the conclusion that I was in some kind of basement. It was completely dark except for a tiny barred window at the top of cell. A heavy oak door crossed with thick, rusty steel bars marked the entrance and exit. A heavy feeling of dread filled the pit of my stomach as I considered that I wouldn't last long in here; soon it might would be my blood splattered on the walls.

I pressed my chained hands together on the ground, lifting myself off the floor. I walked on unsteady feet to the door, only to find that my chain only extended so far. I sank back down onto the damp and dirty ground, my back pressed against the crusty, rough brick walls. My eyes closed and I told myself to calm down, holding on the some desperate hope that someone would release me from my captivity.
 


The author's comments:

It's not finished yet, so don't get confused. Enjoy :)