The Infinite Prison | Teen Ink

The Infinite Prison

By Ehrlich BRONZE, San Diego, California
Ehrlich BRONZE, San Diego, California

I thought we'd covered up our tracks this time, but somehow, someone found out and reported us. We were planning on robbing a bank that I've heard was popular in business, but someone found out and now me and my friends, Doug, a tough, quiet, man and Francisco, a comical and cheerful character was running and hiding from the authorities. Getting caught by the authorities of the government to me sounds worse than death. Those who are caught are taken away and are never seen again. No one knows anything about it because no one has ever escaped to tell the tale.

“DROP YOUR WEAPONS AND COME OUT OR WE’LL HAVE TO USE FORCE!” warned one of the cops outside.
       “We’re screwed.” muttered Francisco.

“We can’t just give in like this!” I told myself. “We’re infamous criminals! We can’t be stopped by some… FBI crap!” I yelled this but I already knew how this would end.

“Well let’s go then!” Doug hoisted his gun onto his shoulder. “Yeah… Let’s do this” I think he was still trying to convince himself we could escape.

Right when we started charging for the back door the window next to us shattered and a small canister rolled on the floor.

“What the heck is tha--” the canister exploded in a blinding light, making my ears ring and throwing me to the ground. I looked around and saw the men storm in and grab me and my friends then I blacked out.

I woke up sitting in a metal box with a television in front of me.

“—and for their numerous crimes, it has been stated that Francisco Remirez, Dmetri Bonsteuban, and Douglas Herald be sentenced to life in the infinite prison!” the man’s voice boomed from the television. I can’t believe what I was hearing; we were going to live the rest of our life in hell. I let out a scream that tore my vocal cords but I didn’t even think about it.

"Quiet down in there!" A voice yelled followed by a banging on my cage."You're gonna need that type of energy in the place you're going."

"Where are we going?" I asked patiently, the man didn't answer so I decided I would just find out when we get there. Some kind of jail...
        We pulled up right as I began feel sick with claustrophobia. We walked out and I realized that we had just sailed over the ocean all the way to an island. 'Has it really been that long? We had been in there for quite a few days...' I thought to myself.
        "What is this place?" Francisco asked. They were both standing next to me now.
        "This place? This place is going to be your everlasting nightmare and your safe haven."
         Suddenly 3 men grabbed us from behind and pinned us down. The guy holding me raised his gun and slammed it against the back of my head and I blacked out again.
I was really getting tired of getting knocked out. I always woke up wondering where the heck I am and this time, this time was the best one yet. I woke with a start  alongside Francisco and Doug to find ourselves in a long corridor with other hallways branching off from it. Doug was already awake but Francisco was still out.
       "Where are we this time?!" I yelled. "I can't believe how screwed up our government is! Leaving us in random places with no idea what to do or what's where to go!"

Francisco launched into a sitting position. "What the?"
       "We're just as baffled as you Francisco." I explained trying to put the pieces together. "But I think this...maze....leads to the jail."
       "Why would we want to casually walk into jail?" Doug blurted.
       ?"Well it's probably better than living in a maze with no food or shelter or anything at all at that matter." Francisco said nervously. "Plus who knows what lurks in these corridors at night."
       "I guess" Doug gave in.
       "Let's get moving then." I said then we walked off with not a clue of where we were leading ourselves.
         We walked for what seemed like an eternity. The sound of our footsteps echoed and bounced off of the ginormous walls. By the color of the sky I could tell night was coming and we still haven’t caught a single glimpse of anything except for the cold stone walls. Suddenly I saw some movement out of the corner of my eye just as something ducked behind the corner of a wall. I sprinted after it.
       “Follow me.” I called back at Francisco and Doug
       “What did you see?” Doug asked as he and Francisco trailed behind him. I ignored the question. I needed to find what I had just seen. ‘Maybe I’m going crazy’ I thought to myself. ‘Maybe I’m hallucinating. No I know that I saw something. I haven’t lost my mind yet.’
        I started to sprint and quickly caught up with what I was “chasing.” The strange creature had led me to 4 other monsters just like it. The beast looked like a giant worm that had grown strong arms and legs. The gaping hole in its face chattered hungrily. Francisco and Doug came around the corner.

“Go back! Go back” I yelled frantically
Francisco gave me a quizzical look and said “C’mon Dmetri quit freakin’ out man… ohh” he noticed the monsters and they noticed him. The worm creatures began running at us like an enraged gorilla, roaring and pounding their fists on the ground. We dashed back the way we came but Francisco was lagging behind.

“C’mon Francisco! Hurry up!” Doug and I tried desperately to get Francisco to pick up the pace but he was out of breath and I began feeling my own legs feeling rubbery. Doug and I rounded another corner and waited anxiously for Francisco to come to but we were only answered by his scream and then silence. I looked around the corner and saw the creatures walking away leaving behind a clean set of bones.

I sighed and turned around unable to look again. “We should get moving.” I finally said. “And find a way out of this damned place.”
       “Yeah… Okay.” He responded distantly

It was now night time and I could hear monsters all around us in other hallways howling and fighting. Right then, a wolf jumped at me out of the shadows. I hit and I flailed around but it latched onto me. The beast dug its teeth into my side and I yelled in agony. Doug ran up and punched the wild dog in the side of the face, finally knocking it off me. I buckled over in pain , but I stood up defiantly and jogged over to where they were fighting. They were now on a bridge that crossed a black pit that seemed endless. I ran up to the dog and kicked it before it could see me coming. The wolf fell to its side, motionless.

“This place has no mercy does it?” I said to Doug trying to lighten the mood but I saw he had deep gashes on his face and back.

“Yeah I know right? I just want to get out of this place.” He said, obviously exhausted. I then noticed something I hadn’t noticed before, a small hut stood at the other side of the chasm. I finally felt some relief since this beginning of this horrible experience. I walked past the motionless body of the dog with Doug behind me while watching it closely but it all happened at once. The dog sprang up and tackled Doug.

“DOUG! Watch out!” was the only thing I could say but they both hurdled over the side of the bridge and fell into the darkness, Doug yelling all the way down. I fell to my knees and finally let the tears come. I was alone now, my friends were dead and I knew my time was coming soon. I HAD to get to that hut. My feet inched towards the front door. My shaking hands pulled it open to see a whole living set up, a bed along with a table and a desk full of papers were there. I lie down on the bed and instantly fell asleep. I instantly regretted it. In my dream I ran down a long hallway of the maze, trying to catch up with a glowing light. But the light was quickly going out and I couldn’t reach it in time. I reached my hand out to grab it but it went out. I was now standing in the pitch black of the maze and could begin to hear the growling, roaring, and snarling of the creatures that it held. I was surrounded by the monsters but none of them stepped up to fight me except two. Then I realized that their faces were Francisco’s and Doug’s. Their bodies were deformed though, they were monsters. They jumped on me and I woke with a start, my entire body trembling. I sat up and walked to the desk. There were maps sprawled all across it all of them had X’s crossed through them. There was one old, leather book on the desk. I picked it up and opened it.

DAY 1
‘I’ve awoken in this maze after being sentenced to life in “The Prison.” I suspect that the prison is at the end of this maze? I don’t know… I guess I’ll find out.'
I skipped ahead a couple pages,
DAY 15
‘I’ve been wandering this maze for days living mainly off of monster meat. I now WISH that this place lead to a prison but my suspicions from previous entries have been confirmed, this maze IS the prison.'
I can't believe what I just read. Even a prison was better than this but there was none.
DAY 79
'I've began to map this horrid maze so I can easily navigate these corridors.'
DAY 81
'I left today again to begin mapping again but my map didn't match the actual maze anymore. As if the walls moved overnight...'
DAY 124
'--I don't get it, is there a pattern of how they move?'
DAY 200
'THE WALLS MOVE. THERE IS NO ESCAPE. I DONT KNOW WHO WILL READ THIS BUT JUST GIVE UP NOW... I HAVE.'
          There's no way to explain the hopelessness that this man's journal brought me. I threw the journal to the floor and shoved all the maps off the table in rage.
"Who could construct such a place to torture us like this!" I yelled. I stormed out of the hut to the chasm and leaped off out of a desperation to be rid of this place but when I hit the ground I didn't Didn't die. I woke up in my body in some part of the maze. I walked to a piece of glass baffled at what happened. In the mirror I didn't see myself, I saw one of the hideous creatures of the maze I turned around ready to fight it but there was nothing. I looked in the mirror again and realized that I wasn't myself anymore. 'This is the retribution'  I thought, I saw a monster staring back at me.

About the Author
Zachary or Zach is a 13 year old who lives in San Diego, California. He likes playing basketball, being with friends, and loves Mexican food. His two adorable dogs are named Buddy and Max. He plans to join a branch in the military when he is grown up and knows he'll grow to be a successful man with no worries.