Two Hundred Pounds and Counting | Teen Ink

Two Hundred Pounds and Counting

TWO HUNDRED POUNDS AND COUNTING

“Why are you so fat!” said Will. Danny stayed silent. Maybe if he ignored him, he would go away.
“Answer me fatty!” yelled Will. Will pushed Danny hard on the chest and sent him stumbling back a bit.
“Answer me FATTY?” asked Will. ”Answer me when I’m talking to you!” Danny knew what was coming next so he waited for it. When he lifted his head, he felt a fist come in contact with his cheek. He instantly knew there would be a bruise there by tomorrow. After the incident, Will left laughing with his friends leaving Danny with a sore cheek.
A whole day went by with Danny covering his cheek with his hoodie so teachers wouldn’t notice it. It was 6th period and the bell was going to ring any minute. Just as Danny finished packing his stuff the bell rang. He walked out of the double doors and around the big building. There, he boarded the bus and went home. When Danny arrived at his house, he made himself a sandwich and went up to his room. He sat on his desk and pulled out his homework then began in it. Once he was done, he had extra time to spare. He locked his door, shut his window and entered his closet. Once inside he moved his clothes and dialed his passcode, only to reveal a secret elevator that led to his laboratory. He rode the elevator down for a couple seconds. Then the doors opened and he began to work on his project from yesterday. He spent about 4 hours working on his finishing touches. Everyday after school he spends most of his time creating things that he thinks would help
“I wonder where this part goes?” said Danny.He was currently putting parts where he thought they went. When he was finished building what he supposedly believed was a time travelling machine, he went back to the elevator and rode back to his closet. After he came out he hid the dial and put his clothes there to cover it. Since the time machine had taken about four hours of his afternoon, he opened the door and walked into the hallway, only to run into his mother.
         “Hey mom,” said Danny.
His mother pulls him in for a hug and ruffles his hair.
         “Hey Danny where you going in such a hurry?” she asked, clearly confused by Danny’s sudden behavior. Danny laughed a confused laugh and he suddenly remembered that he was on his way to take a refreshing shower.
         “I’m on my way to take a shower,” says Danny.
         “But honey, you haven’t even had dinner yet,” says Rosie with a confused expression.
         “Well, that’s okay .. when I came home from school I had a sandwich..” says Danny.
         “Danny you know that’s not enough,” says Danny’s mother with a stern expression, while grabbing his chin and looking at him with curious eyes.
         “Apparently to the other kids at school this is more than enough,” Danny replies.
His mother gives him a worried look and asks, “Danny what do you mean other kids at school think this is more than enough?”
         “It’s nothing,” says Danny. “It’s just that some kids at my school have been telling me things about my weight and calling me names and stuff.” Danny’s mother looked furious.
         “Why am I barely hearing about this now Danny!”
Danny looked down and stayed quiet before looking up at his mother and saying “Well your hardly home mom, how do you want me to tell you something when you’re not even here most of the time.”
His mother looked at Danny with a sad face and nodded. She knew Danny had a point. It’s true that she was never home. Since Danny’s father left when he was one year old, she spent most of her time working to make enough money to support her and Danny. She has three jobs in total. She works in an office from seven- thirty in the morning to one- thirty Monday through Friday, since she has to drop Danny off at seven for school. On Monday through Friday, she also works from two- thirty to five- thirty at this day care near Danny’s school. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, she works at a local Starbucks from six to nine. When she finally gets home, she heads up to Danny’s room and enters. Then she sees Danny asleep and gives him a kiss on his cheek and heads for the door. She then heads to her room to take a shower and when she gets out she falls straight to sleep. Today was one of those nights when she came home late.
         “I’m sorry Danny but you know-”
         “You have to work to pay the bills and buy groceries and stuff. Yeah, I know mom, it’s okay.”
Danny’s mother offers him a smile and gives him a hug and lets him go off to take a shower.

THE NEXT DAY

Beep! Beep! Beep! Beep! Danny groans and slams his alarm to turn it off. He then rolls out of bed and heads to his closet to find something to wear. After dressing he heads to the bathroom to wash his face and brush his teeth. When he heads downstairs, he sees that mother has made him breakfast, his favorite, pancakes, eggs, and bacon. He goes to the fridge and pours himself some juice and quickly stacks up his plate with a mountain of pancakes and another plate with scrambled eggs and a handful of strips of bacon and sits his plate on the table and pulls a chair for himself. When he is done eating, he sees it’s already six- fifty so he grabs backpack and heads to the car. Meanwhile, his mom is coming down the stairs dressed for work with her purse and grabs her keys and locks the door. She then drops him off at school and heads to work.
As Danny was walking into his classroom he immediately headed to his seat and pulled out his homework from the previous night. Other students started to fill the class and soon it was full. The teacher headed inside and began to teach the class about writing letters and adding fractions. As class was over he walked around the building and waited at the bus stop. Once the bus arrived, he hoped on and showed the driver his pass and he headed to a seat in the middle section and stared out the window till he finally reached his neighborhood. When the bus arrived, he hopped off and strolled inside his house. Once inside, he locked the door and headed to the kitchen to heat up some of yesterdays Alfredo pasta in the microwave. The microwave beeped four times, signaling that the pasta was heated. He took his plate to the table and pulled out yesterday’s assigned homework and began to work on it. After he finished his homework, he headed to his room and locked the door. He walked to his closet and removed the sweater that was in the way. Then he reached for the dial pad and put in his pass code. The elevator doors opened and he walked in and tapped the button that had an upside down arrow. Once the elevators doors opened, he stepped into his laboratory and examined his work from the previous night. He had already built most of the machine, it only needed its finishing touches which he just put in. Once he finished putting the last handle on the time traveling machine, he took a couple steps back and checked out his new invention. The machine was now finally complete and he just needed to grab his remote control. His machine had a double seat with a roof, a door to open and close, and also a handle to hold onto while traveling through time.
         “This is it,” said Danny as he hopped in the time traveling machine. Danny pressed the button that said “future” and soon he began to see swirls of all sorts of colors. Danny was a little scared but soon his fear was replaced with excitement. He blinked and when he opened his eyes he was shocked. There were obese people everywhere rolling on the floor. Literally, they couldn’t even walk. He was suddenly starting to feel better about himself, at least he stayed the same weight and not gained anymore. What surprised him even more, were the people he all of a sudden recognized. He saw most of his classmates, including Will. Will looked as if he was about to explode. His stomach the size of a car, with his head the size of a tire.
As Danny was looking around he noticed people staring at him. All of a sudden he hears people whispering about him.
         “Why is he so skinny?”
         “I wonder what his secret is?”
         “Maybe he was born with a disease?”
         “Yeah that’s it!” someone says.
         “Maybe it’s that thing he has in his hand,” someone said. Then all of a sudden his remote is knocked out of his hands and onto the floor. When Danny looked down all he saw was a broken remote. He looked up to see who had knocked it out of his hand.
Will.